Is anyone knowledgeable about Spanish horses?

Sycamore123

Visit site
Just that really! Does anyone know a bit about Spanish horses? And can tell me what this means? I’m guessing it’s a brand of the stud the mare comes from? Thank you E9C7D957-E087-4D9A-ABB5-7C61219FCC64.jpeg

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
That's not normal with Spanish horses (right side brand), but can be found on the larger Portuguese (Lusitano) studs, it's normally a number though.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
In my experience, like Cortez has mentioned, Spanish brands are on the left hindquarter. Mine has one that looks like sail boat.. Kind of. Sometimes there is a distinct letter in the brand, but often it's more of a design/symbol of the stud.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Seeing as I've never owned and only rarely encountered a PRE mare, it's entirely possible they could be on the right as I, frankly, have no clue if branding has to be on a certain side or what the rules are.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I've checked and it is stallions left and mares right.

Branding the PRE has been a tradition for many centuries and has been used to identify the breeder of a particular horse. This brand is always marked on the horse’s quarters, with stallions being branded on their left side and mares branded on their right.

Sycamore123

Visit site
Thank you all! Very helpful! @shortstuff99 the site didn’t bring anything up but I’m not sure it’s her original name on the passport so that may by why!
It’s all very interesting, I’ve been riding her out for a friend who has her in to sell, and I get on very well with her- having never ridden a Spanish horse before it’s something new to learn about! I’m not in a position to spend this much on a horse at the moment, but in the future I may have to seriously consider one!
Another question for you all then- I’ve found that her, and another gelding she came with are both very similar- very sensitive and intelligent. Ive found I need to sit very quietly on both- they are quite sharp. They are also the first horses to not jar my back (old problem!) when trotting. I believe they have both come from the same stud, and wondered if it is a breeding thing, or if horses of this type in general are quite like this? If it means finding a certain type of horse will not cause me back pain then it’s certainly something to look into!

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
Thank you all! Very helpful! @shortstuff99 the site didn’t bring anything up but I’m not sure it’s her original name on the passport so that may by why!
It’s all very interesting, I’ve been riding her out for a friend who has her in to sell, and I get on very well with her- having never ridden a Spanish horse before it’s something new to learn about! I’m not in a position to spend this much on a horse at the moment, but in the future I may have to seriously consider one!
Another question for you all then- I’ve found that her, and another gelding she came with are both very similar- very sensitive and intelligent. Ive found I need to sit very quietly on both- they are quite sharp. They are also the first horses to not jar my back (old problem!) when trotting. I believe they have both come from the same stud, and wondered if it is a breeding thing, or if horses of this type in general are quite like this? If it means finding a certain type of horse will not cause me back pain then it’s certainly something to look into!
Yes that is a branding
They are sensitive and so intelligent and as you say rightly you sit nice and quiet on them mine whinnies at me everytime I catch him and today he was drinking and i was talking to him he whinnied at me , they love people, talk to them and they form a strong bond with their owner. I love mine and would have another if I could afford it. Dont get me wrong he has scared me shitless when he was younger oh and they tell you when the saddle isnt right etc