is anyone like me?

luckyoldme

Visit site
I think i am out of my depth here on the horse and hound forum.
im in my forties and had a few lessons a couple of years back with a local instructor... he was really quite brilliant (He was straight to the point) I think in non formal terms i was ok and i enjoyed that. My previous experience was been thrown on hunters from the age of 11 and exercising them.. riding out two or three times a day... in between the ages of 17 and 40 i didnt really have much to do with horses.
three years ago i bought my horse and learned the difference between falling off a horse aged 17 and falling off a horse aged 43. Everything had changed. No jute rugs with rollers ... amazing turnout rugs and brilliant riding gear.
When i was younger i could never have dreamed of owning a pair of hunter wellies. Now ive got the horse some nice gear... the works.
I basicly throw myself on the horse and have a bit of a donder around.. a bit of a walk /trot canter and all in all life is pretty good.
What im saying is i read about instructors and livery yards and schooling and shows etc but is there anyone else on here just bimbling along like me with no formal training just basicly plonked on a horse and getting on with it?
Ps the said horse is very healthy and in good condition!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Don't feel out of your depth, there's no need :) To be honest, although I've been professionally involved in the horse business for 30 odd years, there's a time and a place for everything and I often am to be seen just bumbling along on one of my old faithfuls :) But then I get a huge buzz from the professional aspect of it too.

Arizahn

Visit site
Yup; I am totally flummoxed by the technical stuff at times!
I had ten years away from horses, then the bug bit me again. Thought I would just go to a riding school. Ended up buying an Arab and will be having dressage lessons this year:eek::D
I know how to ride but not how to talk the talk. Still, it has really boosted my self-confidence.
Is this my mid-life crisis do you suppose?

soulfull

Visit site
There are loads of people like you. most of my friends are the same the main thing is you love your horse and enjoy what you do, who gives a stuff what anyone else does!:D:D

Its all relative, I do have lots of lessons and was competing at RC level (my horse is currently lame so not ridden for months) and will go back to it. But there are people on here who are by far better and braver etc

you do what you want to do and enjoy it:D

pricklyflower

Visit site
I'm like you with my horse although Haven't been out of the horsey scene as my daughter has had ponies so still up to date with the latest equipment but once she was off the lead rein I went and bought a horse for me so we could ride out together. I bumbled around on gymkhana ponies when I was younger so now am enjoying how to learn to ride properly again with my daughters instructor. Will I compete again? Maybe..... but my nerves get the better of me. I'm happy having my lessons and going out hacking with my daughter. Something my mum and i always used to do.

MrsElle

Visit site
I'm like you! Rode in riding schools as a child, worked as a groom for a year when I left school, then nothing until I was 41. I am happy to pootle around at walk or trot, equally happy not to ride at all as long as I have contact with horses :)

I too was amazed at all the new fangled

MrsElle

Visit site
Stupid iPod!

I too was amazed at all the new fangled stuff you can get nowadays, and still haven't a clue what half of it is for!

So, come on in, join the debates, ask for help and opinion and learn heaps - I know I have, even if I still don't understand half of what people are talking about ;)

maisie06

Visit site
Me! I have given up riding as I'm so useless!! At least you have the guts to get on one!! Just the thought of it makes me feel sick.

luckyoldme

Visit site
oh no Maisie!!!
i was absolutely terrified of my horse when i got him so i gave up trying to ride him. I just brought him in and fed him for a while then took it in stages.. walking him around on the bridle... then lunging then getting on him again... we were pure entertainment for bystanders to start of with . In time we got used to each other and we go out for hours now.
I was just like you... scared to get on him so i didn t till i knew him better!! Ive had a few falls but thats part and parcel i suppose!
The things that have happened in the last twenty five years!!! Honest to god Purple wellies.. how cool is that?

Flummoxed

Visit site
e035.gif

Sticks head above parapet....... I'm in the same boat. I bought my (first) horse at the age of 52. The nerves are shot to bits but I love being with him and mombling about the countryside. I know nothing but my horse doesn't care!

ETA - I was 52, not the horse - he was 10

Bertolie

Visit site
I too am the same as you except I never even sat on a horse until I was 40! Went on holiday and went on a trek as my daughter kept badgering me to do it and loved it! Bought my own horse nearly 5 years ago not knowing too much about the ownership side of things, but with my daughter to help and the advice and help of other liveries, we dont do too badly.

I dont want to compete, or hunt, or jump...just get on and potter around the lovely countryside (with a good gallop every now and then :D)

Riding a horse should be enjoyable, so I just do what I enjoy.

9tails

Visit site
Straight out of riding school, bought an 8 year old warmblood! And a mare to boot! I didn't know what I didn't know, so it was a steep learning curve. I'm not into competing or showing, we hack out a lot and we attempt oddly named moves in the school for the entertainment of my instructor once a fortnight.

4 years down the line, she's surviving rather well so I'm doing something right.

VixieTrix

Visit site
Blue is too small for me to do anything other than a bit of walk and trot, plus he is older now too.Thats all i want to do! I have some kids who have a bit of fun on him and I just love to take care of him, long rein, walk him out etc. But was starting to feel like i was the only one as alot of friends and nearby yards are into competing. It's been really nice reading the stories on this thread (but not the bad ones :()

Bernster

Visit site
we attempt oddly named moves in the school for the entertainment of my instructor once a fortnight.

Made me smile.

I rode for a summer when I was a kid and had a pony for a year, but didn't get back into it until very recently in my middle age (eep). And now totally hooked. I have been lucky enough to find a fabulous horse who has given me the confidence to do all sorts of odd horsey activities, although at baby level. Can't quite get out of the mini classes and it is slightly embarrassing to be competing with 12 year olds in pigtails, particularly as they often beat me !! But I'm only competitive with myself and dont think the horse gives a monkeys what he does as long as he's looked after, so enjoy what you do, whatever you do ;)

Suechoccy

Visit site
Well done you, lovely to hear you're enjoying it. Walk, trot and canter hacks and outings, absolutely wonderful, that's what I enjoy too.

Please don't ever think the H&H forum must be mainly populated by very horsey, born-on-a-horse, PonyClub educated, hunting, BHS expert, people who spend all their time with horses! (No offence to any of those people!). There's all sorts of people on here, novice and expert, young and old, some with horses, some without, some with working horses, some with pet horses, etc.

Javabb94

Visit site
My mum is like this, she just rides because she enjoys it and takes Java for a tootle round the field, she just mainly loves hacking, walking and trotting as java is very spooky so she doesn't normally canter but sometimes does, she doesn't jump, doesn't compete (although she would maybe like to try a walk trot dressage test :D) she just enjoys java with no lessons etc she has had horses since she was 10 and only competed a few times when she was younger

Don't feel out of your depth if that's what you enjoy go for it!

Brandy

Visit site
There are lots of people like you! In fact, don't knock it you are doing better than many. I did riding school as a very small child, the rode the naughty ponies for free from the age of 9. Continued riding but no lessons til I got a job on quite a good dressage yard aged 20!! Was on the lunge for 3 months with no reins ostirrups. Daily.

Did BHS stages after that, but never taught as I couldn't bear it. Currently struggling to do as much as you (ie walk trot canter....) with one of my beats as its an idiot welsh and has completely knocked my confidence. :mad:

So formal training, yes, actually managing anything of note?? Not at all!

Visit site
Aaah (sighs with relief) I have been "riding" for nearly 30 years and have never been more than a happy hacker, with an odd jumping class at a local show when on a horse that did it for me. I have had lessons but still ride with exactly the same faults. I know all the riding and technical theory but the practical bit is beyond me !

russianhorse

Visit site
Me :D *waves*

No formal training, but have owned my lad 19 years and yet, even though I've continually owned him so much has changed in the horse world, that I can barely keep up and feel like a constant novice :rolleyes: . And then my confidence was shot to pieces, not because of my gentle but not properly schooled horse, but simply because I had children and became aware I wasn't invinsible.

In theory I am up with it all, but practically forget it :eek: So its just the continuing tootling around on quiet hacks :) (Not that my horse cares 1 bit - less is more for him lol )

Cornish on the Cob

Visit site
So glad you wrote this thread! Its been interesting and reassuring to read the replies! I rode till I was 14 then discovered boys,alcohol etc :eek: Couldn't get horses out my head though.Tried a couple on loan but they picked up on my nerves and I didn't have the confidence to deal with it, then 8 months ago I had the pleasure of inheriting some money and brought Bridie. I have had ups and downs with my confidence but she is ace. I am 34 now and just enjoy hacking with friends around the lanes. I feel like I would like to do more but I think I'm just going to stay as I am. I'm glad others are like this as sometimes you feel you should be doing more like jumping etc but reading all your replies has made me realise that we happy hackers are not alone! :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
So glad you wrote this thread! Its been interesting and reassuring to read the replies! I rode till I was 14 then discovered boys,alcohol etc :eek: Couldn't get horses out my head though.Tried a couple on loan but they picked up on my nerves and I didn't have the confidence to deal with it, then 8 months ago I had the pleasure of inheriting some money and brought Bridie. I have had ups and downs with my confidence but she is ace. I am 34 now and just enjoy hacking with friends around the lanes. I feel like I would like to do more but I think I'm just going to stay as I am. I'm glad others are like this as sometimes you feel you should be doing more like jumping etc but reading all your replies has made me realise that we happy hackers are not alone! :)

hacking with friends in cornwall... how on earth do you cope?
Well if any other happy hackers are reading this and want a change there is a b and b right beside me that has stables and grazing if you fancy a change of scenery! And we are only 10 mins from the beach with a trailer!

Ladydragon

Visit site
I've really enjoyed this thread... :)

Been out of riding for 25yrs and have somehow managed to morph from a confident "throw myself on and at anything" repairable youngster to a totally unconfident "body is incapable of coordinating aides, balance, seat, hands, grip, lean etc" breakable, middle aged scaredy cat... :D

My biggest challenge these days is working out how to detach my bum from the saddle in trot... Stuff elegance, just muddling it would be a good start - probably why I have a hankering for an Australian Stock saddle instead... :p

Maybe I'll have a few spare pennies one day and take some lessons but until then, ambling my way around the local hacks is both my limit and rather blissful... :)

ausipaliboi

Visit site
I am 28 and am an admirer of all things equine but am generally happier off in my own little world than in the competition one!

I competed in late teens / early 20's and did very well but now if I even consider having to go through the training etc again I won't even go down the paddock to feed - my glory days are definitely behind me ;)

I have an 11 yr old TB who I love to bits even though he is a bit special and I rarely get the chance to ride :D There is also a friends pony in the paddock who I ride and even though she is 28 she has a firey arab spirit and has no problems going for a random hoon with me when the mood so strikes.

My pride and joy at the moment is my 18 month old daughter, I finally found a helmet that fits her and we are enjoying mummy bubba rides at the moment, introducing her to the joys of riding (at a very slow pace!).

We ride the pony out of the paddock and we ride my TB in the paddock. Both are so well behaved when my little one is in the saddle with me they are worth their weight in gold.

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
As a longtime lurker here, I finally got my act together to register and comment because this thread is such a great one! At last I see I am not alone....

If this is any encouragement to others who are not so young, not so competitive, or have had some "gap years" in their riding careers: I had a gap between the ages of 18 and erm 50.
At 50 I snapped out of my corporate dementia and realised I had wasted 32 years of my life by giving up riding and living without horses!

I've been riding again (very carefully!) for three years and it is a huge challenge. On the other side of 50 we know that we no longer bounce when we fall off, but are more likely to go "splat". We know that we are not immortal (something we didn't understand at 18)
BUT we know to take it a step at a time, be patient with ourselves and with our horses, and that we don't have to compete to be happy and fulfilled.

My two horses are TBs, quite large chaps, but honest. Nonetheless every day with them stretches my (limited) abilities and brings adrenaline and joy.
When I'm a bit apprehensive, I remind myself of all the ladies I know in their 80s who are still riding - hats off to the older riders, and all the very best to those who have expressed their own challenges on this thread.

margaretb

Visit site
Me too!
Bought Poppy two years ago at the age of 47 having ridden as a child then nothing til lessons again age 45. I am a complete nervous nelly, she can be a tad alert from time to time, but she is mine, I love her to bits, and my oh once said it did not matter to him if I rode Poppy or not so all pressure to do so lifted should I choose not to do so!

Oh and many thanks to OH for getting up in the dark early yesterday to remove fence that her ladyship had got between and my mother in laws garden, then putting it back up once horse extracted herself!!

But thank you, it is posts like this that really help with confidence issues cos I know I am not alone!!

Last edited:

newbie_nix

Visit site
Yep - another return to riding middle aged type here. Learnt on farm ponies - after i broke my wrist aged 7 trying to learn rising trot I took a short break but then learnt how to stay on a bit better....

Horse mad as an older child/ young teen and rode when I could but not much access to ponies in London apart from I spent a few months volunteering at an RDA centre. Enthusiasm far exceeded ability/experience! Also worked at a riding stables (hacking/trek type) as a 14 yr old, learnt to gallop on beach but then had very long gaps without horses.

Got back into it at age 30 - had first riding school lessons - learnt what a diagonal was! Then seriously damaged back. 6 year gap, then decided life too short, back much better, and it was time to just go for it.

Weekly rides - alternating lessons with hacking over a range of terrain riding loads of different types of horse. I have learnt a huge amount in last 2 years but know I still have loads to learn. Now in NZ on a farm and a few months ago bought first horse at age of nearly 40! And one for hubby, and as of today, a 'spare' oops!!

Have no competitive desires, love hacking, tiny jumps (the big stuff scares me) but most importantly just hanging out with our horses....

Goldenstar

Visit site
One of the nice things about the forum is that you get contact with people outside your own little horsey bubble , everyone should enjoy having a horse in a way that suits them not wanting to complete does not matter as long as you try to ride as well as you can and look after your horse well and have fun it's people who have horses who seem to hate it that gets me flummoxed .