Is docking of non-working dogs still illegal?

marmalade76

Visit site
Cheers, it's quite clear. So how do people get round it still? AFAIA the French Bulldog has never been a working breed yet I know of two of these dogs with docked tails, they're not old dogs, either.

Echo24

Visit site
Tail docking is not illegal in Ireland so some unscrupulous breeders dock them and ship them over and try to sell them here.

druid

Visit site
Tail docking is not illegal in Ireland so some unscrupulous breeders dock them and ship them over and try to sell them here.

Actually tail docking in Ireland is only allowed in working breeds with exactly the same evidence/documents as are required in England.

Eta- here is the link to the relevant law

Last edited:

Alec Swan

Visit site
Yes, it is. I found this link useful -

http://www.cdb.org/awa/

The bit that I don't understand, is this;

There is also a ban on the showing of docked dogs (all dogs docked after the commencement date of 6 April/28 March) at events to which members of the public are admitted on payment of a fee.
———

Where is the benefit to the public in precluding dogs with docked tails and from a show which those who would spectate have paid to enter? Considering that all those who spectate at the annual Game Fairs have paid to enter, it seems that working tests and trials are excluded from the Law despite there being a paying gallery.

I wonder who the steering groups are who dream up these contradictory and daft conditions.

Thanks for that RTE.

Alec.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
The bit that I don't understand, is this;

There is also a ban on the showing of docked dogs (all dogs docked after the commencement date of 6 April/28 March) at events to which members of the public are admitted on payment of a fee.
———

Where is the benefit to the public in precluding dogs with docked tails and from a show which those who would spectate have paid to enter? Considering that all those who spectate at the annual Game Fairs have paid to enter, it seems that working tests and trials are excluded from the Law despite there being a paying gallery.

I wonder who the steering groups are who dream up these contradictory and daft conditions.

Thanks for that RTE.

Alec.

This is a crazy part of the rule It means that dogs that are docked legally at the big shows like Crufts, so many don't come from abroad and the gamekeepers classes are poorly supported. Some big shows have got round the ruling by charging for car parking rather than entry for the public I believe.

DiNozzo that is crazy . If all stud dogs were allowed to be docked because they are "working"then the show rings would be full of docked dogs of every breed that were customarily docked. Either someone convinced the vet who docked your yorkie that it was a working terrier, or he was docked illegally if he was done after the docking ban came in.

Alec Swan

Visit site
You raise interesting points, especially concerning those dogs which would be normally docked and arrive here from the Continent.

I suppose M_M that were the ruling left open so that there could be showing exclusions, or not, then those who are participating would have to consider whether to show under a specific judge and they'd have to take in to account his/her preference for 'Docked' or 'Entire'. Certainly within Gundog Field Trials, I don't know of one Judge who would do anything but mark down a dog (breed/type specific) which has an entire tail.

Alec.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My older springer is docked, being from working lines. The whole litter will be done, who knows if all 12 pups will be bought by working homes?

galaxy

Visit site
My 9 month gsp pup is legally docked and no, I'll never work him. But my 6 year old gsp has a full tail and I've lost count of the number of times he has split his tail just on normal works. GSPs have very hard tails with little cover and protection, it is in their best interest on welfare ground IMO to be docked.

I found out last week that the docking rule does not apply to agility dogs competing at crufts (good!) because they are deemed to be working! Lol! How daft! I'd love to know how many dogs have split a tail doing agility! Daft illogical rules......

amy_b

Visit site
This is a bug bear of mine because I am now the proud owner of a docked, 7 month old Viszla who will work and show. Obviously I am aware we cant got o Crufts but I wanted a duel purpose dog and to show her and get some critique, also I think it is good experience for them

What I don't understand is - I cant remember the exact criteria of what qualifies you to dock a dogs tail but I am going to guess along the lines of a shotgun licence being one, and a letter from your gamekeeper or you are a gamekeeper..something like that being another, then why can you not use the same as proof that your dog is a working dog and therefore be allowed to show at the paying shows. To me this is perfectly logical and the only reason they don't is do do with the 'image' and public attendance.

Alec Swan

Visit site
amy_b, I'd suggest that you take up the issue with the Kennel Club, though I wouldn't hold out much hope. You're pushing a door which is already open with those who's daily lives centre around dogs, but the KC? Too much PC I suspect! The KC are never given to rhyme or reason, it seems. :)

Alec.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
My 9 month gsp pup is legally docked and no, I'll never work him. But my 6 year old gsp has a full tail and I've lost count of the number of times he has split his tail just on normal works. GSPs have very hard tails with little cover and protection, it is in their best interest on welfare ground IMO to be docked.

And this is why for some breeds I do still believe in docking. My non-working Working Cocker is 3/4 docked, she was bought from a working home and we had originally planned on training her as a gundog but unfortunately her breathing is too noisy when she's excited apparently. Her tail is constantly on the go and she would be a prime candidate for it splitting. You have to really look to see that she's been done but it's enough to prevent this and the breeder prefers to do it as he can't guarantee which pups will go to working/non-working homes.

The KC is ridiculously short sighted at times

RunToEarth

Visit site
My older springer is docked, being from working lines. The whole litter will be done, who knows if all 12 pups will be bought by working homes?

I suppose it depends a lot on your vet's stance, and yours as a breeder? When we had a litter from our ESS, we already had a lot of interested locally as she was out working locally. We had two family friends who wanted them as pets, and therefore we had all chipped but only half of the litter docked, our vet asked for letters from employers/reputable references to confirm people who were buying pups were using them to work. I'm not sure whether that was my vet being anal and covering himself - it seems sensible but easily manipulated as working ESS are as popular as pets as working dogs.

satinbaze

Visit site
The KC is ridiculously short sighted at times[/QUOTE]

It is not the kennel club that made the laws regarding docking but the government enforced by DEFRA

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
From KC website

The Kennel Club's Position

The Kennel Club believes that there should be consistency in docking legislation across the UK. Different regulations in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland cause confusion and put breeders/owners at risk of unknowingly breaking the law. The Kennel Club:

Opposes a total ban on docking.
Supports exemptions for working breeds and working breed types. The Kennel Club is currently lobbying the Scottish Parliament to introduce this amendment to their docking legislation.
Opposes the showing ban in England, Wales and Northern Ireland as this unfairly penalises responsible working dog breeders and owners who have had their dog's tail docked for genuine/medical reasons.

From the Animal Welfare Act explanatory memorandum (signed by a Defra minister)

It is intended that the ban on showing docked dogs will reduce the demand for docking in non-working dogs.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Chan - it's when either by wagging it too hard or banging it on an object whilst wagging the skin splits - occasionally there can be bone damage as well and it bleeds like mad.
Alec - the attitude to showing was exactly what I meant thank you! Whilst I don't agree with docking for purely cosmetic reasons there are several breeds where medical and/or working life make it recommended. Why should they then be penalised?