Is Ellie nearing the end?

MrsElle

Visit site
Ellie is 27 and had a really bad winter, she was a bag of bones when I got her and very depressed, but steadily put on weight and became a totally different horse - happy and full of life.

During the last two weeks she has lost weight again despite being given ad lib hay in the field due to bad grazing. She is on two feeds of alpha a oil and speedibeet per day.

She seems miserable again too. She is spending more and more time on her own and I am getting worried that she has decided that it is time to call it a day. She still enjoys a hack out once or twice a week but she really isn't her old self. We have now managed to get another field next to ours that hasn't been grazed in ages so lots of nice grass, but she seems happiest when in her old grassless paddock. She is also increasingly clingy, following me around the field constantly and wanting to be stroked and talked to. I don't mind this, but it isn't Ellie - she is quite an independant soul usually.

I am worried as she just isn't 'right'. It isn't even just one thing, and I can't really explain it, but I am wondering if the end is coming for her. If it is how will I know when the time is right? I am also worried because Chad goes on Wednesday and she is quite attached to him - she lets him share her food bowl which is an honour indeed
smile.gif

Do I call the vet? Do I see how she goes? I really don't know what to do
frown.gif

Sorry for rambling and disjointed post but a bit upset this evening
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Do you have the option of some better grazing? It may help to lift her spirits and get some condition on her......

MrsElle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have the option of some better grazing? It may help to lift her spirits and get some condition on her......

[/ QUOTE ]

We have better grazing now, we have opened up the fence between our paddock and the next. We only did it yesterday so am hoping that a few days there will make some difference. I just hate to see her so miserable
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

LadyRascasse

Visit site
can't help about the other bit but wit the feed i find that alfa has to much protein which they can't digest properly i now feed fibergy which is a mix of chaff and alfa. along with calm and condition it worked fab for me. good luck i hope you get to the bottem of it

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have better grazing now, we have opened up the fence between our paddock and the next. We only did it yesterday so am hoping that a few days there will make some difference. I just hate to see her so miserable
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good. Well, monitor her over the next month - and perhaps have a chat with your vet. But it's reasonable to assume that at her age, yes this could be her last summer - it comes to them all eventually
frown.gif

Hugs love (((((( )))))

Vizslak

Visit site
Call the vet and put your mind at rest, its no good worrying yourself silly for weeks esp when chad goes as she may pine and seem more under the weather and then you will be really worried. Get the vet, explain your concerns, he will prob run some bloods and give her a good general check over and hopefully a clean bill of health! You will feel much better whatever he does/doesnt find I'm sure, the not knowing is always the worst thing.
(((vibes))) for ellie and ((((hugs)))) for you.

kellyeaton

Visit site
put her on calm and condition as well as her other feed. call vet and get some bloods done and see if anything is going on at this present time good luck!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Clutching at straws here, but has it been too warm for her? Maybe she senses the other horse is going? I'd maybe get her some tonic (RedCell or equivalent) if a blood test suggests it is a good idea.

Is she just at peace with herself, perhaps and enjoying the summer?

I'd get the vet just to cover all bases and meanwhile, have a look at some more senior feeds. It could simply be a case of her finding it all hard going.

Fingers crossed for her
smile.gif

gails

Visit site
Oh dear, I have no words really, mine is putting on the weight soo slowly. Just wanted you to know you are not on your own.

PS, nice dogs BTW, I also have 2 of those, one is SH and the other is LH

cronkmooar

Visit site
I really feel for you - my veterans are not as old as yours but it is a constant worry.

I would also go with getting the vet out and some bloods run - if nothing else it will put your mind at rest.

Mine are both fed safe and sound with corn oil - it really does help with the weight.

Don't know what breed she is but if TB the older they are they only have to loose a few pounds and they look awful - especially in the face I have found.

Hope it all works out ok

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
The oldie (35) here at the yard that I have started looking after was starting to look a bit down, coat was dusty looking etc.
frown.gif
After a discussion with owner we decided he wasn't getting enough fibre and started giving him a big trug of Mollichaff Veteran hay replacer which gets topped up as and when needed. The vet also came and gave him the once over and said to give him a month before further investigations - but agreed that he needed extra fibre. He is happily stuffing it down - also mixing it in with his other veteran feed. Just over week and he is starting to look better - he gets turned out on the long grass on the strip in front of the paddocks every night - and it took me 15 mins to get the bugger back in his paddock last night and had to resort to his headcollar!!
grin.gif
Has definately filled out, coat is starting to shine and his 'spark' is back
grin.gif
. Smells lovely - has mint and nettles, linseed and all the vits and mins oldies need - maybe worth a try instead of the alfa a, which is really high protein so maybe quite hard work for her to digest. Should also say he is on an acre of good rich grazing on his own but just struggles to get enough inside him because of his teeth.

MrsElle

Visit site
Thanks for your help and thoughts everyone. I guess I went into owning an old horse with blinkers on - I thought that she would be like a younger horse, but evidently not and will need carefull management.

I will do some surfing tonight and find out more about feeding veteran horses.

She does have a lovely shiny coat at the moment, but is just so thin
frown.gif

barbaraann

Visit site
Try feeding her on lots of soaked down hi fiber cubes. We have an old toothless horse who looks great on just these. I have had a 47 year old who looked really well until we put her down as she couldn't get up anymore.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your help and thoughts everyone. I guess I went into owning an old horse with blinkers on - I thought that she would be like a younger horse, but evidently not and will need carefull management.

I will do some surfing tonight and find out more about feeding veteran horses.

She does have a lovely shiny coat at the moment, but is just so thin
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My 'veteran' is comparitively young - 20yrs old Tb, but I find she likes D & H 16 plus mix (1 scoop) and 1/2 scoop soaked Speedibeet, twice a day.
I also give her probiotics (she's a bit prone to colic), Equivite Vit/Min and corn oil.
She can't eat lush grass, but I give her a mixture of soaked hay/and Horsehage green, which she likes too.
S
grin.gif

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our 27yr old is keeping her weight on with grass nuts and Calm & Condition, even though we don't have enough grass, so supplement it with hay. We used a similar routine with our 32 yr old who we pts because of her arthritis, she also kept her weight quite well.

Archangel

Visit site
How are her teeth - is she losing any? My old chap suffered a bit of toothache when his started to go, he is much happier now they have all gone!

I was advised to feed vitamin E supplement (he gets a fair bit of oil) and this has also perked him up.