Is good spelling a forgotten art?

madmav

Visit site
This will no doubt make me sound geriatric, but I'm not sure everyone's checking their spelling before sending messages. I really do think it makes a bad impression. Sorry to sound so fusty,but it's irritating me!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This will no doubt make me sound geriatric, but I'm not sure <font color="red"> everyone's </font> checking their spelling before sending messages. I really do think it makes a bad impression. Sorry to sound so <font color="red">fusty,but</font> it's irritating me!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
PMSL

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Yes I think it is! I know I make typing errors, and no doubt some spelling mistakes, but sometimes the spelling I read on here aren't typos but that the 'author' hasn't a clue what the real spelling should be. It does make me wonder what's being taught at school - plus 'text talk' I think could be a culprit.

Gripe over and boring old f*rt has shuffled back off to bed!

parsley

Visit site
I have geneticaaally bad speling - its al my parrents faullt. How ever if I tri realy hard and consentrate a lott I cann do it - the trrouble is on heree I usualllly think that justt a bout is gode inogh
cool.gif

kerilli

Visit site
me too, it drives me crackers. "Definitely" is one of the most consistently misspelled words (by journalists, too!) and it makes my blood boil every time. it's different in text speak, i can understand the need for brevity there, but as for the rest... jeez.
although, i am guilty of not bothering to use capital letters, for speed. *hangs head in shame*
wink.gif

spike123

Visit site
I admit my spelling is far from perfect and I am not a fan of text speak.It is difficult for some to understand.However with regard to spelling mistakes I am sure there are probably quite alot of members on here with problems such as dyslexia and why should they feel excluded just because they can't spell. We all come on here to talk horsey things not for how well people can speak the english language afterall.

Enfys

Visit site
If they stopped teaching children phonetically in the first place then I don't think there would be the problem there is!

It is all very well teaching a child that kuh-aaa-tuh spells cat, but ask them to spell, station, for example and it all goes pear shaped.

STAYSHON....phonetically it sounds correct. Grrrrrrr. Huge gripe of mine.

Serephin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with 'everyone's'? = Everyone is...
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong but I didn't think there is supposed to be an apostrophe after the e as an apostrophe means 'to own' in this context and not as a replacement for a missing letter - the word everyone should of actually been written as: everyone is - the apostrophe is being used incorrectly.

(prays to god she has been spelling apostrophe correctly!)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
The apostrophe is also used to replace an absent vowel, in this case the i in is. So it is being used correctly in that example.
Same as 'that's why...' and 'I'm doing such and such...'

ETS: Oh, and it's also 'should have/ should've could have/ could've etc, rather than should of'

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there are probably quite alot of members on here with problems such as dyslexia and why should they feel excluded just because they can't spell. We all come on here to talk horsey things not for how well people can speak the english language afterall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a very valid point.

So long as I can understand what is being said I couldn't really care less TBH.

Serephin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The apostrophe is also used to replace an absent vowel, in this case the i in is. So it is being used correctly in that example.
Same as 'that's why...' and 'I'm doing such and such...'

ETS: Oh, and it's also 'should have/ should've could have/ could've etc, rather than should of'

[/ QUOTE ]

hey! I did say i could 'have' been wrong!!
blush.gif

rforsyth1984

Visit site
I dont think the odd mis-spelling is a crime, or the odd typo (though I feel a bit embarrassed about a typo I made this morning in a post!). My mum is an English lecturer, so I have always been criticised for sloppy spelling and grammar (which has got worse in the last 5 years of studying science!).
On the other hand, I do agree that people should not be criticised for it if they have a problem with spelling and grammar. Sure, everyone should aim to improve themselves but as long as they get the point across, I would think that is all that is necessary for an internet forum.

yorks

Visit site
Another old f**t here. How can you say it is only necessary to get the point across? It should be a matter of pride to be able to read and write correctly in your native language. Jobs have been lost for the sake of poor CVs. For goodness sake USE A DICTIONARY.

htobago

Visit site
Much of the spelling and grammar on here leaves a lot to be desired. In fact it makes me cringe.
blush.gif

But there are at least two whole generations that have not been taught even basic literacy in schools, so it's not really their fault.

It still makes me wince, though. Especially when people can't even spell the most common horsey terms, such as 'conformation'.
mad.gif

I've been told that they are now starting to teach proper grammar and spelling in primary schools again, and that in future GCSE and A-level exam papers will be marked down for poor grammar and spelling (watch those grades plummet!) - so maybe there is hope for future generations!
smile.gif

meandmyself

Visit site
At lot of my miss spelling comes from posting when I should really be in bed!
blush.gif
:simrk:

I don't think I'm too bad though; I do try to spell things right. Text speak really annoys me; mostly because I can't flipping understand it!

faerie666

Visit site
I have to say that text speak, bad grammar and bad spelling annoy me too. There have been some posts on here that I didn't finish reading because the grammar and spelling were so bad I couldn't actually understand what was being said.
Also, the fact that currently GCSE and A-level exams aren't marked down for bad spelling and grammar is ridiculous. Our exams in Germany were marked down, and not just German and English, but all other subjects as well.
Just to add, English is not my first language, but I was taught very well at school.
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Faerie, just as a matter of interest, and pure nosiness on my part, what is your first language please? One would never know if you hadn't said
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Ahhh, Thankyou.

I lived in Munster for a couple of years and I have to say that most of the Germans I met spoke some English, and many of them spoke it far better than the British!
smile.gif

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Definitely is one word that I have major problems with
blush.gif
I don't think that me spelling is too bad but its not what it used to be. I think that spell checkers have made us all very lazy.

faerie666

Visit site
Yes, the german school system puts a lot of value on teaching English, mostly because it's the international business language, and if you speak at least some English you can get by almost anywhere.
I used to have as many English lessons per week as I did German, which has given me a good grounding, though I have to say my vocabulary has grown massively since I moved here, especially the swearwords.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

baleofhay

Visit site
Boring it will not make my horse perform any better if i spell correctly
smile.gif
thought this website was about horses not spelling ,punctuation and grammer.
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
I have to say that text speak, bad grammar and bad spelling annoy me too. There have been some posts on here that I didn't finish reading because the grammar and spelling were so bad I couldn't actually understand what was being said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, that's happened to me too!

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the fact that currently GCSE and A-level exams aren't marked down for bad spelling and grammar is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe they are, but only a tiny percentage. I've heard that some students write entire exams in txt spk *shudder*
[ QUOTE ]
Our exams in Germany were marked down, and not just German and English, but all other subjects as well.
Just to add, English is not my first language, but I was taught very well at school.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
English isn't my first language either
grin.gif

TBF though, English is harder to spell because words aren't necessarily spelt the way they sound, are they? And I've been told that in German they are (Just to check... are they?)
In Spanish there's lots of confusion between v and b (which are pronounced the same) and whether words start with h (which is always silent!) and ll and y which are both pronounced like the s in 'television'...
smile.gif

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
yet another old fart, but considering I type all day at work, I know my typing is not the best and mistakes are made, blame the use of using a laptop on my lap !!!