Is he a rig?

lovecharles

Visit site
I have owned my ID x TB for 5 months and he lives out on a private field with a companion pony. According to his past owners, he has always been very grumpy. He is ridden often, occaisionally in light dressage competitions and hacks out. In the past 2 months, I have found that Charles has been very aggressive and dominant. He has badly bitten three people including myself, resulting in a loss of confidence around him. He is threatening almost constantly and I do not trust him unless tied up. He is also difficult to catch, running off or lashing out. Despite this, I cannot fault him under saddle and is fine in traffic, Dressage, jumping and hacking. I am 15, and am a lot smaller than him, and he knows it(!) but my dad does help me to handle him.

I rang the vet for a few tests before we call a behaviourist and she suggested a blood test in case he is a rig. Can anyone explain to me abit more about this, i mean i understand that he may have a concealed testicle, but what do we do if he isa rig? Will he need an operation? Hormones? Any advice/info welcome.
smile.gif

Cookies for getting this far!
grin.gif

lovecharles

Visit site
He isn't kept with other mares, just a small pony, who he chases and is very dominant over. We have been to shows where there are mares, but as he gets excited at shows anyway, it was had to tell.

niagaraduval

Visit site
I will say he probably isn't. But without telling us more about him, none of us can tell you.
More info?
Do you know how old he was when he was gelded?
Did he live with mares before?
Can you take him for a ride with a mare?

lovecharles

Visit site
I'm not sure when he was gelded, he lived in in his past home, with turn out at night, not sure whether with mares or not. I don't have another riding horse, and I don't ride with anyone else, so i've only ever experianced him on his own, unless at a show.

ladyt25

Visit site
He could be a rig but we thought my pony was - v stallion like behaviour but we only have kept him with geldings. He hates new horses and is v v dominant. However, we had him tested a couple of years back just out of interest really but turns out he's not (i am still not entirely convinced though).

Some horses are just miserable b*ggers though I'm afraid. I think it sounds like you need to show him you are the dominant one NOT him as it would appear from what you say he thinks he can push everyone about.

There was a horse at college who was like this, a real b*tch and actually would attack people. She was an angel when riddden though. Looking back though i think maybe she was in some degree of discomfort hence the attitude problem.

Maybe contact some horse behaviourist in your area, see if they can give any tips of how, using your body language and voice you can gain authority over him. If he is fine when ridden I don't think he's in pain so is probably just his personality i'm afraid but biting is certainly not a trait you want to carry on!

niagaraduval

Visit site
Maybe you could put an ad out for a riding buddy?
I'm sorry, i don't think any of us will be able to tell you. A question for your vet maybe?
Is he dominant over YOU? Is he pushy? He might need a bit of ground work. How old is he?

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
My cob is a late cut and he was like this. i used Gold Label's Oestraban which is great on riggy geldings or for stallions at shows (as well as stroppy mares) or (NAF?) do a supplement called "stroppy gelding" both cheap and herbal so worth a try IMO. I also worked on being more dominent myself but what really stopped him in his tracks was turning him out with a very dominent gelding who would shove him around and scream at him/ show teeth but not kick him
shocked.gif

Flint12

Visit site
Dont jump to the assumption he is a rig. My previouse yard owners accussed my horse of being a rig. We had blood tests done, waited ages for them in the mean time my horse was not allowed out of his stable unless being riden. We got the results back and they were negative. He wasnt a rig.

We have now moved yards as the YO would not accept the results and would not turn him out and he hit the roof. He is now turned out with Geldings and mares and is behaving himself.

Some horses are just grumpy. Just have a chat with your vet. I wish i had but my YO took it completly out of my hands.
I hope it all turns out ok, im sure it will.
laugh.gif

bbcrystal

Visit site
I have a gelding who is somewhere between 8 and 11 and I've had him 11 months. He is extremely aggressive towards people and he also mounts the mare who is in the same field as him. He threatens to bite and he lunges at people as they walk past. He once went to get me in the field first with his teeth then his back legs.

When I had had him for about 2 months I was so terrified of him that I nearly sold him to a dealer for half of what I paid for him... BUT I persevered, stood tall and moved yards. He now knows that I'm not scared of him, he is much better behaved although I still don't trust him 100% and always keep one eye on what he is up to. I talked to my vet about the possibility of him being a rig and he said it was extremely unlikely and that some horses are just like that.

I would say never show him that you are scared even if you are, stand square and tall and make all your movements positive. Talk to him and spend time with him on the ground. Its not easy but its worth it in the end.