Is he bum high?

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Hi, had my new boy about 3 months and all going well so far, typical bolshy 5yo at times but he's very genuine and everyone in the yard loves him.
Anyway had back ladY out to him the other day just for a maintenance thing and she says he's a bit bum high? Can't say ive really noticed before but he does go on his forehand and struggles to take the weight behind I've noticed, although being 5 that could easily be explained away. This is the only stood up squarely pic I've got, what do you guys think? Hopefully if he is he'll grow out of it but as dressage and showing are our main disciplines am a tad worried that he won't which would be a shame as he moves beautifully.

be positive

Visit site
Not a good enough photo to tell much about his confo but the saddle is doing him no favours, it makes him look very long in the back and weak over the loins, which would possibly explain why he is struggling to take weight behind, I am surprised the physio did not find some sore areas in his back, he appears, I do appreciate it is just a snapshot, to be bracing in front with too much muscle under his neck but it may just be a bad moment.
If he were mine I would be working him to get his core muscles built up and his hind leg more engaged before putting him in a pelham and I would be getting a more suitable saddle, he is very smart and should do well showing once the back end catches up with the front.

Just to add that you should be in tweed for showing him unless that was an evening performance.

Nudibranch

Visit site
He's very handsome! Quite difficult to tell if he is bum high on that photo but at 5 even if he is he should grow into himself.
I'm not mad on the saddle fit, it does looked tipped back there. Does he do much hill work and slow work to build up balance and muscle or is he mostly in the school?

Speedyfluff

Visit site
I agree regarding the saddle. It looks as though all your weight is going through the cantle and he is really hollowing away from it. He looks a lovely horse and doesn't look particularly bum high to me. But his back does look quite weak in that photo. It may just be the way he is standing. At age five, I wouldn't worry too much about how level he is. He could come up another inch in front yet.

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the responses, the saddle is just his show saddle so is only ridden in very occasionally, it's been checked by a fitter and is fine except is too small for me so will replace for next year anyway. He also was only in a Pelham for the class and is ridden in a simple happy mouth loose ring at home. The back lady didn't find anything hugely wrong just that he's stiffer on the right side, we'll prob do more dressage anyway do just hoping any bum highness corrects itself, or at least doesn't impede him in any way.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When you choose a new show saddle fgs, find a different saddle-fitter! That one does your horse no favours at all, show saddles are supposed to show the horse off to his best.

As others have said, don't worry too much about him being bum high just yet, he still has time to grow and develop. He could be a bit bum high in that photo but you really need to look at him without tack. You can help him to develop correctly by working him so that he comes off the forehand and uses heis quarters properly through transitions, polework and LOTS of hacking up and down hills and over varied terrain.

He has the makings of a smart looking horse.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
He's gorgeous. I do agree about the saddle though.

Funnily when my boy had just turned 6 a back lady told me he was bum high. No one else had ever commented that he was and he certainly doesn't ride like he's bum high. At five your lovely boy's got a lot of muscling up and maturing to do. Be interesting to see a pic of him in a year's time :)

hollyandivy123

Visit site
mines still bum high at 18....................still waiting for everything to catch up!

and sorry to say, i would get a second opinion on saddles, even though you say it is only temporary it will have an effect on how he is going in the ring. you probably are not getting the best from him.

Tnavas

Visit site
He can come and live with me any day. No I don't think he is bum high at all, and i think the saddle looking as if it is tipping back is an optical illusion because your gloves blend in so much. The saddle looks a little small for you though.

planete

Visit site
The saddle looks as if it is too far forward, it is slightly over the top of the shoulder blade. If that is the best place for it then it does not fit the horse and it does him no favours for showing as it is not making the most of his front end.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The saddle looks as if it is too far forward, it is slightly over the top of the shoulder blade. If that is the best place for it then it does not fit the horse and it does him no favours for showing as it is not making the most of his front end.

I agree with this I too think the saddle is too far forward and it looks too small, his a nice horse though I really like him his still young so he will look a bit weak now but with correct work he will look a different horse, he doesn't look bum high in that picture I wouldn't worry about it.

eggs

Visit site
I would need to see a picture of him stood up square on a level surface with no tack on to make a comment on whether or not he is bum high. One of mine is bum high but hasn't stopped him working advanced medium dressage so don't despair.

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I was very aware when riding in the saddle that it's too small for me and felt like was coming off the back a little bit as there's literally no cantle. Will see how it looks a bit further back but tbh will be looking to replace it anyway as I think if I even put on an extra pound in weight I'll be totally off the end! Thanks for the other comments too, he's a lovely boy and I just hope I can do right by him and bring out the potential everyone keeps saying he has bags of :)

Last edited:

giveitago

Visit site
I would need to see a picture of him stood up square on a level surface with no tack on to make a comment on whether or not he is bum high. One of mine is bum high but hasn't stopped him working advanced medium dressage so don't despair.

Eggs,

May I ask, what's a good saddle for a bum high horse?