Is horse insurance required - any recommendations on what should be covered ?

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
This is for an old horse - 23 who will just be at a livery yard. I want to exercise her and maybe walk her on bridle paths so am worried about dogs, mainly and stupid people who own said dogs.

Kat

Visit site
Third party liability is essential.

Anything else is up to you but for an older retired horse it may not be economical to insure. Several insurers do policies for older horses that cover injury but not illness or degeneration but you will not get full vets fees cover for a horse of 23.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
You need public liability insurance - it's included in most horse insurance policies covering vets bills. For an older horse, a comprehensive vet fees policy probably wouldn't be much point as not much would be covered. However you could get 'catastrophe cover' or a policy covering external, accidental injuries. Or you could get BHS or WHW membership which includes public liability - it's not expensive

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
for a 23 year old i would think the premiums would be very high. i would join the BHS gold membership or similar as that will give you 3rd party insurance for less than £10 a month. you could get quotes for insurance and maybe put the amount of the premium away in a separate account each month so you build up a fund if she needs the vet.. hope all goes well

vhf

Visit site
I joined WHW when my horse went into livery. £10m public liability included and you help horses too.

Mine are on WHW cover too. One is an older lady, the other has most of her body excluded so WHW covering the important stuff plus accidental field injury seemed sensible. Costing me over £50 a month less than what I used to have, which goes into a 'horse emergency' pot instead. There's a Harry Hall one that comes with some discounts on horsey stuff which is a broadly similar product but I opted to support a charity rather than my rug habit.

Birker2020

Visit site
Even if she never leaves the field you need Public Liability cover for her. You can get it with other benefits from BHS Gold and Harry Hall amongst others
Agree with PAS. When I ended up with 6 exclusions on Bails policy I gave it a wide berth and used BHS Gold instead so we were just covered for public liability.

Reactions: Kat