Is it cheating

NAT22

Visit site
Found myself a new instructor a while back and I feel Chas and I are really coming on in leaps and bounds.
At the moment she is getting on Chas at the start of each lesson. I have had Chas all his life and not many people other than me have ever really rode him. Even then it has just been the odd hack and my sister has done a bit of baby jumping just for a laugh.
Watching a pro on him has taught me loads - and I enjoy watching him work (he is so lovely
smirk.gif
) She is an amazing rider.
She tends to work him for about 20 mins to get his all set up so I can feel what it is supposed to feel like - when I get on after she has worked him it is like riding a different horse. He is between hand and leg and just amazing to ride
smile.gif

I have done quite a bit of schooling this week and now I can almost get the same feeling out of him on my own - without her having to set him up - so feeling quite pleased with myself
grin.gif

Anyway back to the original question - up till now Chas has been all my own work for better or worst - I so chuffed with how much we have both improved in the last two months but can't help feeling that I have cheated by having her riding him - in fairness she only sits on him for 20mins once a week - but i still feel almost guilty - am I going mad
frown.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Not cheating at all.

As you say it's teaching you to feel when he is going well. Sounds like you are developing brilliantly and if you are learning something then that's great!

Bossanova

Visit site
If he's making progress and you're learning from it, why not?! My sister used to ride Boss for me a lot when I first came to live with her as I had no idea how to get the right results and she's been able to teach me how so much easier. She refuses to ride him now though
smirk.gif

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Now Nat, stop being silly!! I used to be like that with my dressage instructor when she got on Dillon, but in time I have learnt how to achieve what she was getting with him. And it's always really beneficial to watch your instructor ride your horse too. I love watching how Dillon moves - it looks totally different to how he feels!!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Not cheating at all, when I start having flat lessons on storm I want he rridden for 1/2 an hour so she can have a lesson then I get on and have a lesson for 1/2 an hour
laugh.gif
Therefore she gets schooled and I get taught how to ride her better and how she should feel.

(FinnMcCoul your sig is massive, could you please either resize the photos or loose a picture so it isn't so wide. Having to keep scrolling across the page to read posts is a pain in the arse
laugh.gif
)

NAT22

Visit site
Oh - thanks everyone feel a bit better now!
And I am learning loads and I think the change in rider is good for Chas as we know each other almost to well after all these years!!

We have our first dressage outing next week - so will see if all the hard work has paid off - looking forward to it - we have not be to a party for ages!!!

pocket

Visit site
I have had my instructor for about 4 months now. On our first lesson, he asked to ride Ralph to get a feel of him.

We have lessons twice a week and when I'm on nights, he rides for me as I'm shattered, so just watch, which in itself is a learning experience. Its good for your horse to have someone new on board, they can tell you the horses strenghts and waeknesses.

Keep going its progression not cheating
wink.gif

teapot

Visit site
I'm a firm believer that in order to get the best from lessons, the instructor should have a feel for the horse.

It's always worked for me so then lessons are catered for the individual horse

Sounds like you're learning loads which is the idea of having lessons
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Nooooo! not cheating at all! I think it's very useful to watch my horse being ridden, but also so the instructor knows how your horse goes and has a better understanding of how he/she needs to be ridden.
If the horse improves too, so much the better!!