Is it easier to sit a spook in a dressage saddle with big blocks

ghostie

Visit site
As per the title really. Have just bought a new big moving warmblood who's still quite green. He's generally pretty sensible but has thrown a couple of big spooks in the short time I've had him.

Saddler has temporarily lent me a Bates dressage saddle which has massive blocks. I'm pretty sure the blocks may have saved me each time.

So now I'm torn. Neither my instructor or I like blocks and I was planning to buy a dressage saddle without. I'm reasonably experienced and can generally sit things. However, now I'm doubting myself and wondering if I'd have been put the side door without the blocks.

Thoughts and experiences gratefully received :)

Tern

Visit site
Well.. I have only ever ridden in GP saddles and always sat spooks in them.. my guess is that dressage saddle would help you further.. I am awaiting my newbie to spook so I can test this theory. :D

However the Wintec saddles are soo slippy!!

willhegofirst

Visit site
My boy although only a connie, can spin on a sixpence, spook and does a quite reasonable rodeo act, I do find my nice deepseated dressage saddle with nice big blocks helps a lot, I have come off him once in it when taken completely by surprise by a women with a dog correction aerosol!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My boy although only a connie, can spin on a sixpence, spook and does a quite reasonable rodeo act, I do find my nice deepseated dressage saddle with nice big blocks helps a lot, I have come off him once in it when taken completely by surprise by a women with a dog correction aerosol!

Bloody hell!!! I know where I would have stuffed that aerosol!!!!

ghostie

Visit site
Hmm this is kind of my thinking but then I don't know if the blocks will annoy me too much. Decisions decisions...

I'd have been fuming about the aerosol -.what a stupid woman to use it in front of a horse!

ghostie

Visit site
Well.. I have only ever ridden in GP saddles and always sat spooks in them.. my guess is that dressage saddle would help you further.. I am awaiting my newbie to spook so I can test this theory. :D

However the Wintec saddles are soo slippy!!

Hopefully he won't give you the chance to test it in the first place!

NinjaPony

Visit site
In a word, yes. I find it a lot easier to sit spooks, and big movement when nicely secured by my deep seat and knee blocks!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have the Bates Innova with the extended blocks as my first dressage saddle! It has saved my bacon a few times on the drop shoulder & spin manoeuvre my big lad likes to do!

As I am new to dressage, I find that it has re-trained my position, but I do intend on replacing it at some point with something a little less bulky.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I have no idea about dressage saddles, but I am far more secure in my western endurance saddle that doesn't have any form of block at all than my WH saddle with small blocks. Mainly because the saddle puts me into such a deep seat I feel completely wrapped around my horse rather than perched on top of it.

NZJenny

Visit site
Can you try and let the rest of us know how it goes?

'cos if it works, I want some (big blocks that is)!

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Yep, definitely. Sorry.

Mine isn't nuts but has the odd spook. In my dressage saddle with blocks and a deep seat I feel secure. In my synthetic GP (which I rode in quite happily for years until I bought the dressage) I now feel exposed and unbalanced. I hardly ever ride in the GP now I've discovered the joy of big knee blocks. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I suspect if you are experienced you might find you wouldn't have as much difficulty sitting the spooks without as you think

gina2201

Visit site
I have a Keiffer saddle with nice knee blocks, I find it really comfortable - my mare does spook occasionally on hacks/in school and before buying this saddle I was borrowing a GP and I sat them fine with no issues but the knee blocks on the dressage saddle do seem to offer that extra 'hold' and support!

(I'm not sure I'm going to like any GP/Events when I get round to buying her another saddle!)

Shooting Star

Visit site
As the owner of a short backed filthy spooker with both a big blocked dressage saddle and a GP I'd have to say that actually it's a grippy seat saver that helps me stay put (most of the time!):D

Deep seats do seem to help too though, so I reckon if I had a deep seated, large blocked, suede seated saddle I'd stand a much better chance of my brain having enough time to catch up with his lordships extra special moves :eek:

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
yes definitely.

i'm holding off actually sitting on my 3yo until his proper saddle arrives (Prestige mono flap with huge blocks) as there's no way i will sit a humpy launchy leap in the GP saddle he's lunging in!!!!!!!

Equi

Visit site

I remember that. Still can't believe it lol

misskk88

Visit site
I ride in a dressage saddle. Whilst my horse isn't spooky it certainly makes me feel more secure and has improved my seat and position no end. When I swapped back to GP for a few days, I certainly noticed that I didn't feel I had the same support and it took me a few minutes readjust, although I actually still rode better in it than before I had starting using the dressage saddle!

BigRed

Visit site
I manage to stay on some pretty silly stuff with an Albion dressage saddle, it doesn't have huge blocks, but I always wear half seat breeches, which help. I haven't used regularly jods for years.

Feival

Visit site
I was riding in a saddle with no knee rolls, Winnie was recently backed and I was having trouble sitting to her, swapped to a saddle with big knee rolls and bingo, problem solved .

ghostie

Visit site
thanks all :) Sadly it looks like the consensus is it probably is easier. Decisions decisions.... I do hate having my legs put in position by blocks, but then again I'd hate to hit the ground too!

The frustrating thing is that I may well be able to sit his antics without them - I just don't have any way of finding out as I'm borrowing this saddle and need to make a decision on new saddle without the opportunity to trial sitting spooks on him in one with less blocks.

It's frustrating as he's pretty chilled except when for no apparent reason he leaps a foot in the area, jumps sideways, then shoots forward a few feet. When my brain catches up with the situation and I ask him to stop he does, and then he goes back to normal. Hopefully just settling in antics and will settle as his confidence in me grows.

If I'd had him in a less blockly dressage saddle and had sat it this wouldn't even have occurred to me, but now the doubt is in my mind!

Shall have to chat it through with my instructor when I see her at the end of the week.

Dizzleton

Visit site
Yes! I have a Wow extra deep seat with giant fixed block (super comfy) and it really does help you stay put in the saddle. I remember cantering across the diagonal (towards the spooky end of the school), I was just about to give the aids for a flying change and my big 17hh WB came to a complete stop and 180'd round and galloped off the other direction. During the spin, I was hanging off the side, lost my sitrrups and one rein.. but manged to cling on and pull my horse up. If it was a normal saddle I'm pretty sure I'd of been dumped!!

photo4.jpg

photo6.jpg