is it just me or...

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
LMAO. You don't mince your words do you?
grin.gif

Yes, they are anal.

Cheesey2983

Visit site
The BHS are bloody annoying and yes so anal! seems to be the only way though to become a decent recognised instructor, so annoying. Means ive gotta go thru the effort of doin my stage 2

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
BHS and PC are both anal. My friend who is now a instructor has joined the PC testing panel for B test in order to try and make it more open and fairer becuase sometimes if your face/horse does not fit you will fail.
But I have seen some instructors teaching and god knows how they passed as they are useless and have absolutely no experience.

Fairynuff

Visit site
They are that. When I was a WP we had to work wearing a shirt and tie AND do everything wearing gloves! If you wre caught barehanded or with your tie slackened, there was all hell to pay-punishment was being sent to sweep the carpark (gravel!). never seen such a clean car park in my life
laugh.gif
Mairi.

dwi

Visit site
yep, every single person but one failed the riding section of my stage one including a woman who came 7th in this year's TREC finals.

anal moneymakers if you ask me.

i'm going to do the BRC exams instead and then transfer back across

Dougie

Visit site
maria: thats the irony....always wear gloves.....BUT u told never to groom with gloves on
smirk.gif

dwi: im doing my TRSS (trekking and ridins society of scotland) levels aswel, much better and more practical

audrey: good luck....stage 2 is worse

HG: doing them aswel, much much better

teapot

Visit site
Have been putting off my stage 2 for 3 years now - because I know I'll go to pieces in the riding and although I can do what they want with a bit of self belief, it's riding in the BHS way

I'm quite tempted to go the BRC route then transfer back over, but dont know yet.

I worked & trained in a WTT yard, but it wasn't overly BHS affied as it were - just had high standards. Didnt have to do the whole "folding a rug" leading in and out with gloves and a hat etc

What I really want to know though is where the money goes?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
When I was doing my Stage 1 I had such a terrifying instructor who made even the simplest task sound complicated that I fell off and landed on my bum when I dismounted in front of her! Can't be right that a teacher makes another adult that flustered can it? I think you'd have to be a total control freak to want to treat anyone like that so I guess it attracts certain types who like making others obey petty rules. I gave up just before taking the ridden exam by the way and now I just chuck my own horse's rug over him before doing it up - he's fine with it but I keep half expecting someone to be standing behind me and telling me that I've "failed"!

siennamum

Visit site
I think there's a correct way of doing things and there's a way of doing things which you can get away with if you have sufficient experience and after you've learned the correct way. So I may not remove the water bucket when grooming, but would always do so when mucking out or laying beds (and rarely groom in the stable anyway - just sloppy)
Quite simply I think the Pony Club and the BHS teach the correct way of managing and handling horses.
If you had a youngster who was unused to rugs then you absolutely would fold the rug and place it on the horse in the BHS way, and yes I still wear gloves most of the time when handling horses, and no I don't wear them when grooming as that would be silly (and is not BHS recommended), and if I fell on my bottom when getting off my horse due to exam nerves then how would I cope one day when the horse is hysterical and there's an emergency.
I think the BHS is hidebound and that you have to ride in an impractical way, but don't know how they are going to raise standards without being stricter.(and the standards of people passing exams is poor!)
I see people doing patently stupid and unsafe things on yards all the time and it's clear that a basic BHS level of training would really help them think about the consequences of their actions. Instead there's a tendency to do stuff because other people do and assume it's ok, until the day it all goes horribly wrong.

Dougie

Visit site
BHS is always safe

they request when taking rugs off

undo leg straps
undo breast straps
undo belly straps

now if u undo the breast straps(belly straps still attached) and the horse spooks and rears, rug slips, caught in back legs, horse tangled, now will injure itself and persons in stable
smirk.gif

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Good point siennamum
smile.gif

I did my BHS stages 1 and 2 in 1987-1988 and found them quite easy, but I had very good training in an Army Saddle Club.
I think they have been changed quite a bit since then, and probably made harder
tongue.gif