Is it just me.....

tangoharvey

Visit site
I'm 40.....I remember when the only horses rugged were thoroughbreds, and they only wore New Zealand rugs. The main horse feeds given were chaff n pony nuts. I never heard of horses having the back man, or even the dentist unless there was a real problem, and then it would have been the vet that sorted it! Now horses have more clothes and types of feeds than I do!! Am I just showing my age?!?

limestonelil

Visit site
First question, no it isn't just you.
Last question, yes you are, most definitely!!!

Glad to hear your rescue is coming along so well so quickly - lovely news.

PorkChop

Visit site
It's like anything, things change, sometimes for the better, some not so much - I like to think our horses are more comfortable from having seen the back man and the dentist regularly :)

Equi

Visit site
Just because it wasn't done back then doesn't mean it should not have been done. Whos to say the horses were not in a lot of pain but just getting on with it? I know for 100% my horse was happier after the back man.

_HP_

Visit site
I'm 40.....I remember when the only horses rugged were thoroughbreds, and they only wore New Zealand rugs. The main horse feeds given were chaff n pony nuts. I never heard of horses having the back man, or even the dentist unless there was a real problem, and then it would have been the vet that sorted it! Now horses have more clothes and types of feeds than I do!! Am I just showing my age?!?

I'm 46 and I remember all our riding school ponies had New Zealand rugs on in winter if necessary. They were horrid and heavy and I'll fitting but they had them. The show jumpers all had them aswell but they were stuffed up in blankets too lol :D and had stables....
I've never been one for rugging but think the array of rugs these days are great. Most are lightweight and well fitting and USED CORRECTLY can be really useful.
I rug more these days than ever as my neddies are getting older and more in need of a little tlc occasionally.
My cob would have been pts many moons ago had it not been for the invention of the wonder that is the sweet itch rug :)
Mine have never seen a back man and only see the vet / dentist if there is a problem...never in my cobs case.
I only feed basic feed like nuts, sugar beet or similar (fast fibre)

Last edited:

asmp

Visit site
The interesting thing though is that horses live a long longer these days because we look after them so well. 30 years ago a horse who was 15 was considered elderly!

WelshD

Visit site
It's like anything, things change, sometimes for the better, some not so much - I like to think our horses are more comfortable from having seen the back man and the dentist regularly :)

This.

I need my chimney swept, where can I find a child to send up there?

millikins

Visit site
Is it also that a lot of people have more money but less time, so a "massage" was achieved indirectly through longer spent grooming, more are clipped for ease of rider but then require rugging, perhaps we get to the same end but with by different ways.

glamourpuss

Visit site
....& we didn't wear seat belts, cars didn't have air bags, cancer survival rates were worse & many other now treatable illnesses were killers ....I don't know these pesky changing times with their research & improvements. They've even modernised & made horse owning easier :D

Arizahn

Visit site
Time was that only ponies could survive without shoeing! :D

I do think that the marketing side of things has gotten out of hand with rugs and feed etc. It seems that everyone has something that no one can possibly do without. I've gone back to basics with mine and the marketing element was what made it hard. The horses are thriving; but oh the guilt over not buying them fancy branded feeds and dozens of rugs that would never even be worn..!