Is it legal to eat horse in the UK

poacher82

Visit site
I think I am right in saying you can do what you want if it's your own consumption only. Especially as you don't have to register ownership of a horse in any way as you do with a pig, for e.g.

Gotta ask what the horse did to upset you though?!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Rtrnr - why bother to post if all you're going to write is stuff like that? Bint.

A conversation this morning got me thinking, I've got a smashing youngster I'm trying to sell, cheap, as he's useless for me and is sat draining my money and the oh jokingly (I hope) suggested putting him in the freezer. This got me thinking, I knew it would be frowned upon by the majority (although I can't see why) but I wasnt sure if you were actually allowed to do it for your own consumption.
Just to clarify, I'm not planning on eating my horse, couldn't possibly fit him in my teeny freezer :D

pixie

Visit site
I'm not sure what the regulations are regarding having it slaughtered and then butchered. I imagine they need some sort of license to do so. Especially if it is for human consumption.

Sarah1

Visit site
It would be the ultimate revenge, though! I ate a cockerel once that attcked me once too often.

I purchased & really enjoyed eating some beef from the estate where we keep the horses after the cows 'raced' us out hacking & I nearly ended up on the deck because it sent my boy loopy!

You probably wouldn't have to fit the whole lot in your freezer - some of it you wouldn't want to eat anyway (hooves etc though I'm sure the dogs would enjoy them!) and I'm assuming you'd have to give the 'butcher' a cut too - it might be do-able...;)

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Clodagh - OH was getting quite into it this morning; sausages (plain, apricot and chilli and chocolate), burgers, pasties, pies, faggots

LizzieJ

Visit site
Well assuming it's a licensed abattoir and the horse has the relevant paperwork, I don't see it would be a problem assuming you buy a new freezer! I don't know what they need traceability wise for horses seeing as we don't ear tag and you'd have to change his passport saying that he is intended for human consumption first...

indie999

Visit site
No its not at all illegal but I suppose this is the argument too that if they are being exported any animal could or should be humanely killed in UK then transported(well thats my preferred view if they have to be eaten).

Wouldnt fancy eating my old arthritic boy...bet he is as tough as old boots! Mind you he is buted up so wonder if that would make him more interesting to eat?

Why do you ask out of interest?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My auntie was a vegetarian with a few evil goats. One day she'd had enough, they ended up in her freezer, and she's a veggie no more :D

pixie

Visit site
Apparently its a very healthy meat. I would have thought grass fed ones would probably taste better than those with more hard feed in their diet. I wonder what difference breed and sex make to the flavour too. Do showjumpers taste better than endurance horses perhaps?