Is it legal to eat horse in the UK

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
There was butcher up north that only sold horse meat dont know if he is still open .

I am glad its never been on offer anywhere as I would have turned it down .

I would hate to see a butchers like in Germany and France where they have a horses head in window grosssssssssssss.

I heard of one person saying human flesh is like pig . Maybe we should open a human shop and put all the down and outs. On a hook :D in the window .

noodle_

Visit site
Rtrnr - why bother to post if all you're going to write is stuff like that? Bint.

A conversation this morning got me thinking, I've got a smashing youngster I'm trying to sell, cheap, as he's useless for me and is sat draining my money and the oh jokingly (I hope) suggested putting him in the freezer. This got me thinking, I knew it would be frowned upon by the majority (although I can't see why) but I wasnt sure if you were actually allowed to do it for your own consumption.
Just to clarify, I'm not planning on eating my horse, couldn't possibly fit him in my teeny freezer :D

you will start a trend here if your not careful....

if you cant sell it... eat it :D

Buy it..........sell it........ eat it :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
I would eat BH. He's got loads of meat on him. I reckon he'd be good eating :D

My farrier rears and butchers his own pigs. Wonder if I could get him to diversify? :D ;)

perfect11s

Visit site
There was butcher up north that only sold horse meat dont know if he is still open .

I am glad its never been on offer anywhere as I would have turned it down .

I would hate to see a butchers like in Germany and France where they have a horses head in window grosssssssssssss.

I heard of one person saying human flesh is like pig . Maybe we should open a human shop and put all the down and outs. On a hook :D in the window .
Now you might just be onto something !! aparenty the tribes of the far flung pacific islands that are canibles call humans long pig, maybe you could make Banker burgers or lefty steaks!! amagine how many burgers you could make out of prescot :D

Last edited:

dunkley

Visit site
Oooooooh! Pony Pies ;) Revenge is sweet, and even better with a flaky pastry crust on top ;)

As to the pigs, if a pig is stood on it's hind legs, it is very anatomically similar to a human being. I can confirm that pig and person have a very similar aroma when roasting ( Don't ask! )

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Oooooooh! Pony Pies ;) Revenge is sweet, and even better with a flaky pastry crust on top ;)

As to the pigs, if a pig is stood on it's hind legs, it is very anatomically similar to a human being. I can confirm that pig and person have a very similar aroma when roasting ( Don't ask! )

oh no don't mention pony pies :eek: there were bannings last time that happened :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Lulwind

Visit site
Apparently its a very healthy meat. I would have thought grass fed ones would probably taste better than those with more hard feed in their diet. I wonder what difference breed and sex make to the flavour too. Do showjumpers taste better than endurance horses perhaps?
Isn't TB the preferred choice on the continent? Guess like breeds of cattle, some are leaner than others. Assume anything over a certain age would be very tough unless marinaded for ever;)

Bernster

Visit site
I threatened to send mine to the glue factory once when we had a 5 hour loading issue in a cold, wet car park in Essex.

The OH says, if there is a disaster, we can live off my horse for quite a while.

I did once eat horse meat on holiday in Switzerland. In a fondu. My friend told me it was beef. I was not impressed.

trakehnersrock!

Visit site
Of course here in Belgium, it's quite common to eat horse meat. The local supermarket has a "horsemeat" section at the meat counter, and there is a restaurant in Vilvoorde that only uses horse meat. Personally, I couldn't eat it, after all I might have met or even ridden it lol.
Reminds me when I had to fill in the microchip reg form for my horse, the vet said "Food chain or not food chain? Oh, you're English, aren't you so NOT food chain"

cptrayes

Visit site
I did once eat horse meat on holiday in Switzerland. In a fondu. My friend told me it was beef. I was not impressed.

With the taste :confused:, the friend lying :mad:, or with eating horse :eek:?

What's worse of course, is that in a fondu, you picked it up raw and skewered it on a fondu fork and cooked it yourself :eek:

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Bless, he can't still be here when my 6 others come back into work in march, the more I think about the sausage possibilities the better an idea it's sounding :eek: :D

Paddy Irish

Visit site
The way Paddy is behaving at the mo , means it's only a matter of time before i call in the guns!:D

Irish stew anybody?:D

The first person who says irish stew in the name of the law gets the other barrel!:rolleyes:

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Would not imagine it is illegal to do so. However would never choose to eat horse meat myself. I suppose each to their own. Would quite happily eat a person that chose to piss me off but not an animal. They don't know what they are doing if they happen to upset you, however humans do and some take great pleasure in doing so as well.
So rather than a freezer of horse meat I would rather fill it with some of the people I really dislike but wonder if they would leave a bitter after taste in the mouth just as their way of revenge!

perfect11s

Visit site
Just out of interest, are you vegetarian?
Dont start that one!! its a shite argument... it is different horses dogs are our faithfull servants and have been with us and helped on mankind's rise through history in battle, exploration and for working the land and transport our rise is thanks to the horse, cows pigs goats and sheep have mostly only been domesticated for food fur and hide .. I strongly belive people who think its ok to eat horse or dog have no soul ......

M_G

Visit site
Its no different to eating cow or sheep (both of which I had as pets when younger & when old enough sent them off to slaughter) as long as the animal is raised with kindness & killed without cruelty I say eat it

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I have for some time felt that when one looks at the plight of the young foals sold for pennies and shipped across to the continent for meat or skins it would be preferable for them to have a few years in some nice grassy place with the sun on their backs before they were slaughtered at home and eaten.

I keep my own sheep and pigs for meat and slaughter them at home as I don't like the thought of them being transported in and to an unfamiliar environment. I love my "pet" horses dearly so I don't know whether I could raise one purely for meat without getting attached to it.

scrunchie

Visit site
Its no different to eating cow or sheep (both of which I had as pets when younger & when old enough sent them off to slaughter) as long as the animal is raised with kindness & killed without cruelty I say eat it

This^

Although I have to admit that I have never eaten horse. I wouldn't have any qualms about eating it.

Dogs are different though. Dogs are carnivores. I'm sure there's a reason why we don't eat carnivores.

rhino

Visit site
Dont start that one!! its a shite argument... I strongly belive people who think its ok to eat horse or dog have no soul ......

I'm not starting anything, I just asked a question as I like to understand people's opinions :confused: :confused: This is a public forum?!

PS I'm vegetarian and have been for 17+ years, I just don't understand a blanket 'no' to eating certain animals. I don't think many people would eat their 'pets' but to me all animals deserve the same respect - to be looked after in life and slaughtered as humanely as possible, preferably without wastage of meat... People can form equally as strong relationships with other animals like goats or pigs IMO :)