Is it legal to use 'bute when BSJAing?

Weezy

Visit site
don't know what the current legalities are, too late to call them now - anyone know for sure please?

(And this thread is not open to the debate of whether you would/wouldn't if it is right/wrong, etc!)

Weezy

Visit site
Am 100% it used to be, but not sure it is now, though I am sure it is... Hence why asking
laugh.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
At a guess i'd say it was illegal!!
not a debate, but i'd say for safety reasons of horse and rider..
am sure people do it everyday tho... depends on the standard of the show as to if you want to risk it or not i guess.. ie hardly likely to be dope tested at a BN.

pootler

Visit site
I am a rule nerd, in the rule book it says....

WARNING Although Phenylbutazone and its metabolite Oxyphenbutazone are excluded from the list of forbidden substances under these Rules this is NOT the case under FEI rules. All other painkilling drugs are forbidden under both codes of Rules. It should be noted that this includes the branded drug Arquel, sometimes mistakenly referred to as Extra-strong bute.

I take that to mean that bute is ok unless I am misunderstanding?

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am a rule nerd, in the rule book it says....

WARNING Although Phenylbutazone and its metabolite Oxyphenbutazone are excluded from the list of forbidden substances under these Rules this is NOT the case under FEI rules. All other painkilling drugs are forbidden under both codes of Rules. It should be noted that this includes the branded drug Arquel, sometimes mistakenly referred to as Extra-strong bute.

I take that to mean that bute is ok unless I am misunderstanding?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you are not misunderstanding, it is permitted.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Wow - I would never have guessed that it would be legal for jumping - you can't do showing on bute and that is far less "damaging" (I would have thought). WOuld be interested to hear why BSJA have changed their ruling as they must have had good reason for doing so.

Rambo

Visit site
The BSJA haven't changed their ruling as far as I know. It's always been legal to use bute under national rules...

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Really speaking, it is not so much perormance enhancing like some other drugs, and in real terms is only like us taking a couple of ibuprofen to stave off the post xc stiffness. I think that it is not going to make a crippled horse magically sound, but will relieve some discomfort for a sound horse that may just get some joint stiffness.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I don't believe it is allowed? Ive always been led to believe its not. I remember my vet prescribing my horse bute for something and she said I wouldnt be allowed to compete BSJA while on it.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe it is allowed? Ive always been led to believe its not. I remember my vet prescribing my horse bute for something and she said I wouldnt be allowed to compete BSJA while on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule 97.1 (page 81)....It IS allowed
wink.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I'm rather surprised actually. I wonder if it's allowed here? You can buy bute in the Cordoba Jockey Club tack shop, and needles and syringes and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen riders openly 'shoot up' ...

kp31

Visit site
Did they not change the ruling a few years ago? I know it used to be a grey area years ago, but i thought due to the amount of "older" horses competing Nationally that needed a bit of a pain killer they altered it that you could jump under National rules but not at FEI run shows? Could be very wrong though!

ccorbell

New User
Visit site
well i have used bute for my mare during last winter when competing and it was on advice of my trainer. She was stiff very occasionally and ridden being daily (all weathers all year round competing was put its toll on her)!! I checked and was told yes BSJA but no FEI. I have since put her on cortaflex which has done the trick! but it helped for a while. I know people who give ACP regular for XC etc which i find crazy but more common than you think. I personally take co codamol daily which keeps my stiffness away, not sure whos worse me or her.