Is it my advert? The price or something else?

sam-b

Visit site
I am in the process of buying my first house, yay! However it means selling my horse :( However I am having an absolute nightmare, I have dropped the price from £3500 to 2k and am still just getting loads of people calling, saying they want to come and see her, to never be heard of again.

I know she weaves, but it's not chronic and doesnt affect her. She is dead straight forward, I take her out reguarly in the lorry on my own and come back in one piece.

She gets 8's for her paces BD - so why has she not sold?!

A link to her ad is below, can anyone offer me any help as I am at the end of my tether!

Alternatively I am getting people asking how big she will jump etc, she is 4 - she is schooling around 80cm which I think at her age is erfectly adequate, she jumps, ditches, water and fillers - I am not sure what else people want?!

Keep in mind I sold a horse fpr 6k that cribs within 2 days, that was a similar spec to this one, just a hand bigger... so I am at a loss.

This mare hacks alone or in company, goes first or last - why has my hand not been snapped off?!

http://www.horsequest.co.uk/search.aspx?ds=1&c=&rn=74497

The other thing I am thinking is to share her, as I have a ten month old baby and I dont get a lot of time - but will I get the same sort of people calling to share rather than anyone that is serious?!

I have advertised on HorseQuest, HorseMart, Preloved and H&H Online

X

xspiralx

Can you get a better photo? A couple of nice trotting photos(even better if a a show) and a good jumping photo would probably help draw attention.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Sorry not much helpful input other than she is absolutely beautiful
and if I were able to have another I would bite your hand off at that price :) if only this were in a few years time

sam-b

Visit site
Can you get a better photo? A couple of nice trotting photos(even better if a a show) and a good jumping photo would probably help draw attention.

I tried a nice trotting photo - nothing!!!!

I just dont understand what people want :(

I have just had a dealer friend tell me she should be up at double the price :(

shampain

Visit site
Sorry not much helpful input other than she is absolutely beautiful
and if I were able to have another I would bite your hand off at that price :) if only this were in a few years time

Ditto this. She is exactly what I'd have if I'd raised the funds, sadly I haven't yet, but someone will be getting an absolute bargain if they go for her - I'd agree with your friend, to be honest, considering that I know of a less educated but otherwise similar horse going for double the price (admittedly, not sold yet either). She looks cracking, just keep on at it, it's a pretty grim market currently.

be positive

Visit site
A decent photo of her jumping would help, the wording is ok but I would change it round, put more about her at the top, inc the BD results, make more of that as well, put about you at the end, people may want to know why you are selling but after they read about the horse, they ad has ended up a bit muddled and people lose interest very quickly.
Would she be ready to go out and do a few 4 year old classes, if so put that in, has she jumped in a competitive situation, it does not say if she has.

I agree that the price is probably too low and this may put people off, the weaving when stressed suggests that she gets stressed, try has been seen to weave very occasionally with less trying to justify it, do not call it a quirk.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
She looks a fab bargain - but you do have to always always have a lot of good photos up on any advert. Lots of good photos will always attract buyers. Get a pro photographer out to take good flat and jump photos, take this advert off , advertise her again at £5,000 with plenty of fab photos & I would be amazed if you didn't get a sale.
( too low a price can make people think its not a good horse)

sam-b

Visit site
A decent photo of her jumping would help, the wording is ok but I would change it round, put more about her at the top, inc the BD results, make more of that as well, put about you at the end, people may want to know why you are selling but after they read about the horse, they ad has ended up a bit muddled and people lose interest very quickly.
Would she be ready to go out and do a few 4 year old classes, if so put that in, has she jumped in a competitive situation, it does not say if she has.

I agree that the price is probably too low and this may put people off, the weaving when stressed suggests that she gets stressed, try has been seen to weave very occasionally with less trying to justify it, do not call it a quirk.

She would be ready to jump some 4 year old classes, this was my aim but my lorry has been in the garage having the cam belt done so that was all put on hold.

I will re-word it and get some other pictures up there.

Luci07

Visit site
Actually I think you have priced her too low which might mean people assume other things are wrong with her. I would not have put the weaving in the ad but would leave mentioning it the conversations, as it is not a chronic condition or put it in at the end of the ad as has "has been seen to weave at x, which price reflects".

Definately worth putting more photos up. So a good confirmation shot sideways on. Jumping if you have them, put a small video together showing her hacking, loading etc. you can always include the link.

Have a look through competing ads, what makes them stick out? What could you take from this? Also I have found with HQ is that once your ad goes down the page, people assume your horse has been of the market for a long time whereas it is normally just a matter of days. I sold my horse through HQ a couple of years ago. Normal ad, no response, paid to have him in the special ads ( the ones that stay fixed at the top of each section) sold and gone in under a week.

Alternatively have you thought about simply turning her away till you have more time? It won't hurt her. In the grand scheme of things £2k prob won't help much with your deposit and if your OH is keen for you to keep her then maybe you should.

And regardless of all the above, horrible you have to think about selling when you think you have found a lovely horse. Good luck I whatever you choose to do.

HD15

Visit site
I tried a nice trotting photo - nothing!!!!

I just dont understand what people want :(

I have just had a dealer friend tell me she should be up at double the price :(

I wonder if that is part of the problem - people might not believe such a great horse could be for sale for such a cheap price. I think she sounds lovely, but if I'm 100% honest (since you want suggestions :) ) I think the ad sounds a little bit desperate. Which obviously you need to sell her but I wonder if it just makes people back off a bit. They might start wondering if there is more to the story.

Could you try rewriting the ad just making it short, to the point and putting in a few more pictures of maybe her jumping a small fence? You could even try increasing the price. I know that seems counter intuitive but price creates impressions that aren't always logical. Plus a lot of people will expect to bargain on the price and they will expect you will have worked that into your price.

Good luck!

HeresHoping

Visit site
If this horse I'm looking at really fails the vet next week (vetting on hold due to toe crack), despite me getting it shod because the owners can't be bothered :mad:, I'm there, like a shot. :D Pretty please.

Weaving and all. I am buying at the same price because it has done nothing at all. Double the price - and see what you come back with. Unfortunately it won't be me because I've only got a 3k budget now that I have spent almost a grand in vets fees.

rotters13

Visit site
If I was looking at a 4yo grey which got 8 for its paces BD and was able to aimed at the 4 year old classes I'd be looking to spend a lot more than 2k. I probably would go straight past it assuming something is wrong!

Change the ad (it's very wordy), get new photos, put her up for 5 or 6k and I think you'll get a whole different kettle of fish. Market her as the super smart event/dresssage prospeect (which she is!) and I reckon she'll be gone in no time. She's a super horse!

9tails

Visit site
Get rid of this bit "Price dramatically reduced due to no fault of her own
Giveaway price for genuine bold and safe youngster" and change it to 16HH 4YO WELL BRED MARE READY TO COMPETE. Also change the weaving description to "has been seen to weave when unsettled", put your personal circumstances at the bottom and up the price to £3,995.

Actually, thinking about it, I'd take out your personal circumstances completely. Im a bit quiet today so I'll try to rewrite it for you.

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
Two points.

As others have said, your price is probably too low.

Next, you need a LOT of good photos taken by someone who understands both horses and photography. Put them on Photobucket as a slide show with a link to your advert. You also need video footage showing her versatility, i.e. doing lots of things in a variety of locations. Bite the bullet and post a link. Yes, it is not cheap but worth it.

Forget your personal circumstances in the advert. Buyers are not going to part with their money just because they feel sorry for you! I wouldn't mention the weaving as a serious enquirer will ask. Admitting that this is a problem (which you can explain) gives you credibility and you'll get brownie points for being honest.

The prettiest mare I ever bought was photographed obliquely through a gate! How crazy is that? I only happened to go to see her because she was local. I also have adverts running and my pony is priced a bit high but negotiable. I've only had two enquirers -- but one offered the full price when viewing and the other is flying over from Europe to have a look at her. I refused the first as an unsuitable home. I really don't care how many haven't bothered to respond to my advert. That is their loss!:D I only need one buyer but I do insist that it is the right one for the pony.

9tails

Visit site
How's this:

16HH IRON GREY WELL BRED 4YO MARE READY TO START COMPETING

Lovely, genuine, eye catching four year old IDxTB middleweight mare.

Competed BD and has scored in excess of 60%, scored in excess of 68% unaffiliated with listed judges.

Showing a very scopey jump, takes you forward into a fence and jumps fillers, goes through water etc. happily jumping through combinations and around small courses. Been out alone to shows, cross country training and showjumping. This mare will make a great eventer.

Will hack alone or in company. Good to shoe, comes to call in the field, excellent to load. Lives alone or in company.

Has been seen to weave when unsettled, reflected in price. Financial situation forces sale.

Comes with quality tack and wardrobe £3,995

9tails

Visit site
As others say, more photos will help but I bought my mare based on one photo of her tied outside a stable looking a bit like a donkey.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Just to say that I agree with the advice you have had so far:
Get a fantastic photo or two
Tighten up the wording
Make more of her competition potential, particularly her paces
Put her competition results further up the advert
Don't make so much of the weaving
Increase the price to at least £2500

Good luck with selling her, I really hope you find her a good home. :)

Cheiro1

Visit site
I wish I had the money to keep 2!

She is exactly what I will be looking for in a couple of years.

Lots of good advice on here, so I don't really have anything to offer, although I do think the market isn't great at the moment really which isn't helping.

Horse*

Visit site
I actually saw this advert the other day and just presumed there was an underlying problem from the price. I agree with 9tails.

9tails

Visit site
I may have found my new career!

Really hope OP takes our advice and finds a great new home and a bit of extra deposit...

Mistletoeandawine

Visit site
Hi

I would suggest taking some of the photos from your previous ODE post and adding them to the advert if you are unable to get any others done. They add a whole other level for any prespective buyer

sam-b

Visit site
Hi guys I have taken it all on board and will be getting the advert redone tomorrow. Definitely nothing wrong with the mare, except like seems to be The case maybe too cheap? !

debsflo

Visit site
She looks really nice, my ideal sort when i no longer have my old mare. The only thing i would also be keen to know in an advert is whether she has seen traffic and hacked on the roads. Good luck in finding the right home.