Is it neurological? Is something broken?

Auslander

Visit site
Bit of a panic earlier, when an elderly inmate circled repeatedly, then walked sideways down the field like a crab, with me and two others in hot pursuit, fearing the worst.

On inspection, we realised that the owner had effectively hog tied the poor creature with a fillet string unclipped, passed through the hindlegs, and clipped to the other side. Horse miraculously became able to walk in a straight line as soon as the offending strap was undone!

Auslander

Visit site
I think it's partly my fault, as we've been waging fillet string v leg strap war for some time. I take the leg straps off and turn one into a fillet string, which works just fine until the owner visits, when the leg straps are back on (I find this out when I take the rug off - you all know the drill). I ramped up the game this week by hiding the spare leg strap - and this was the result!

Lady Jane

Visit site
I think it's partly my fault, as we've been waging fillet string v leg strap war for some time. I take the leg straps off and turn one into a fillet string, which works just fine until the owner visits, when the leg straps are back on (I find this out when I take the rug off - you all know the drill). I ramped up the game this week by hiding the spare leg strap - and this was the result!

Ummm - I do what you do but if the owner wants leg straps then surely the horse should have leg straps? I obviously have no idea of the livery circumstances

Auslander

Visit site
Ummm - I do what you do but if the owner wants leg straps then surely the horse should have leg straps? I obviously have no idea of the livery circumstances

If it was a huge issue, of course I'd do as I was told, but I'm pretty confident that because the rug came with leg straps, the owner believes that that's the only way to use it.
I do intend to have a chat when I next see her, so we're both in agreement about how the back of the rug is secured!

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine takes her rug off if it has a fillet string, so all hers have leg straps, and I have spares in case one breaks. Ha! Let's see her get that off! :D

Jellymoon

Visit site
Well, having seen a rug with the wind under it and the fillet string wedged under the tail, looking very uncomfortable, I get why the owner might prefer leg straps! And some rugs don’t stay put properly with just a fillet string.
Why is the owner not allowed to do her rugs the way she wants them to be done?

jnb

Visit site
I use the PE heavy fillet strings (the ones with the plastic pipe over them), more weight and you can wipe clean if necessary. When I sell the rug on, it comes with brand new leg straps!
I don't find a single leg strap short enough for a secure fillet string especially the elasticated ones, hence the PE ones.

Cowpony

Visit site
I had something similar last night. My horse was bending right on the left rein & really wonky. On closer inspection realised had reins crossed. I’m fairness I’d only gone quarter way round arena ?

My instructor makes us do this deliberately if she thinks we are using our hands too much! It's a very odd feeling....

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Also curious as to why no leg straps. I just use whatever the rug comes with. So my Weatherbeeta has leg straps ans I use them, my Rambos don't ?‍♀️

Auslander

Visit site
Well, having seen a rug with the wind under it and the fillet string wedged under the tail, looking very uncomfortable, I get why the owner might prefer leg straps! And some rugs don’t stay put properly with just a fillet string.
Why is the owner not allowed to do her rugs the way she wants them to be done?

Just to clarify - this was a light hearted post! The horse is on full livery, and I live in leafy Berkshire, not on the side of a mountain, so I swap leg straps for fillet strings wherever possible, so that I don't hobble them every time I take the rugs off! I actually swapped back to leg straps today, without being told to, because I decided that there was less likelihood of a repeat performance if I didn't confuse the owner!

Auslander

Visit site
Also curious as to why no leg straps. I just use whatever the rug comes with. So my Weatherbeeta has leg straps ans I use them, my Rambos don't ?‍♀️
It's just my preference - quicker when it's pouring with rain and I have 14 horses all needing rugs on, and I really don't like undoing leg straps that are covered in poo, or wee'd on!