Is it ok so soak hay the night before ?

niagaraduval

Visit site
I spend hours each day soaking my haynets before and after leaving the house. It takes ages to haul water over to the horses to soak the haynets. I don't have much time in the morning and already get up very early. I do however have more time in the evening to fill haynets.

Would it be ok to soak the haynets the night before and let them drain out for the next morning ?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Yes, although its not something I'd do in warmer weather. Alternatively you could just leave to soak overnight & pull them out & rinse am?

JillA

Visit site
I always soaked mine over night or through the day (put morning one to soak evening before, evening on in the morning) rinsed them after the 12 hours and left them the other half of the day/night to drain if that makes sense? Always accepted well, eaten up and no after effects, and this was between June and October when my horse suffers grass related itching.

Littlelegs

Visit site
If you rinse off its fine. But does depend on why you soak, if its a quick dunk for dust, then soaking for 12hrs will take further nutrients from the hay, which might not be suitable.

HashRouge

Visit site
Yes it's fine, so long as it isn't warm enough that the nets will dry out. We sometimes have nets soaked 24 hours before we use them, if we know we are going to be short for time, and we've never had any problems. In this sort of weather they don't really dry out at all, and we keep them in the tack room or hay barn so they don't freeze. It does help to make life a lot easier!

metalmare

Visit site
I soak mine overnight to remove nutrients in the summer as my pony needs low nutrient forage. It makes me happy that the water turns 'dirty' because that means the sugar is in the water, not my pony... That's the whole point!! I leave them to dry through the day. I haven't had any adverse affects.