Is it ok to be so picky ??

maisiemoo

Visit site
Ok have found a lovely welsh x who ticks all the boxes and is just down the road , found him by word of mouth and there is a genuine reason for him being sold, tryed him last night and felt safer than i ever felt on previous horse straight away, he's a good price and open to vet which i would do,
Lady has someone else coming at weekend who want him for a riding school , pretty sure they will snap him up . After epic mistake with first horse i am so worried about buying again no matter how wonderful they seem, have asked to trial him but she not keen as has other people coming to see him ,
What should i do ??

galaxy

Visit site
have you got an experienced friend/ instructor who could come out and give you a 2nd opinion?

I can understand her not wanting him to go on trial. There are horror stories everywhere about them, I certainly would never let onw of mine go on one.

I would go and see him again. Try and put him in every situation you would want to. If you still can't fault him then I'd go for it. Most horses I have had any dealing with purchasing have had a compromise in there somewhere....

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Hmm, tricky, but I can understand you're a bit wary having made one mistake. Can you go and see him again before the weekend? Can you take your instructor or someone who knows what you need with you? Perhaps you could see him more than once (without p***ing off the seller) before the weekend?

leanne1988

Visit site
Definately take someone with you for a second opinnion, an instructor is a good idea. You could even ask if she could ride him aswell, then she can advise you.

But don't feel pressured by the seller saying there is other people coming to view - they always say that, even if they don't! Plus if he is sold before u have decided then dont worry there are plently more horses out there! I'm a strong believer in 'everything happens for a reason' :) good luck!

LittleSoph

southeastriders.myfanforum.org
I'd try to see him again, as others have said... but I do think to a certain extent, you have just take that leap of faith at some point. Every horse has faults, and none are perfect, as I'm sure you know, so you just have to get as near as dammit and jump...!

I know exactly how you feel. I've done it wrong too, twice... and was soo wary when buying my current horse. I tried 13 horses and it took me 6 months to find what I wanted. I too wanted a trial but the seller wouldn't allow it... in the end, it was either fanny about umming and arring, and risk losing a gem of a horse to someone else, or just dive in head first, follow my gut and take the risk. I opted for the latter and am so pleased I did! He's improving my confidence every day and I adore him! I'm so glad I didn't hang around for too long trying to make a decision.

Buying horses is inevitably a mine field, there are always going to be huge risks involved... but you can only be as sure as you can be and then you just have to let fate take over and do the rest. Good luck with it!