Is it ok to use the Barefoot London saddle without a pad?

Tegan

Visit site
We have borrowed a Barefoot London saddle to sit on our youngster for the first time as none of our treed saddles fit her. Is it ok to use this saddle without a pad underneath it?

Thanks
Tegan

Caol Ila

Visit site
Someone who knows more than me should answer, but when I was researching Barefoot saddles, all evidence suggested that the pad is an intrinsic part of their system.

That said, when I was trying to get my horse to like the one I bought on ebay, I tried it without the pad. And she liked it even less, which was saying something as she was pretty displeased with it in general.

saddlesore

Visit site
No you need the pad. That is what gives it shape and helps to disperse weight, especially over the stirrup area. They should also provide some spine clearance/protection.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Only if you aren't planning on actually sitting on it!
Treeless saddles that don't have clearly defined gullets MUST be ridden in using a pad specifically for treeless saddles, otherwise there will be pressure directly on the horse's spine.

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Long reined in it today and was planning to get on tomorrow so glad I asked! Has anyone just got on bareback to start their youngster off? Have tried several saddles of my own and borrowed on her and none fit. Happy to have the saddler out but presume I will need to ride her a little to have a saddle fitted.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
I'm in the process of backing my filly, and the first few sit-ons will be bareback. But I won't actually do any proper riding without a saddle, to avoid the pressure on her spine.

Tegan

Visit site
Thanks. Perhaps the answer is to do the same then. At least I will know that she doesn't mind being sat on when the saddler comes.

Morgan123

Visit site
As long as the horse seems relatively sane and is well prepared I usually get on bareback first, less faff that way. And if anything bad happens you'll just slide straight off :)! But it will feel weird to them when you move so LOTS of treats, a well-known helper holding them, and aim for only one or two steps of walk (and then, only if they're really happy and nto batting an eye at you being on their back).

Don't put too much pressure on, as well, that's what I've learnt about backing. If you go out thinking 'today I'm going to get on', don't persevere if it doesn't seem right (e.g. if horse is having a wound-up day, you feel tense and anxious, or whatever). Just do it when it seems right, and it will go smoothly.