Is it ok to...?

MidnightStar

Visit site
...turn a horse out without a rug if it has been clipped?

I'm clipping 3 of mine today - the TB is having a trace clip, then the two natives are going to be bib clipped and hunter clipped.

It's 20'C here today and the same again tomorrow so, which one(s) would be ok without a rug today and/or tomorrow? They're in a sheltered field with no wind to speak of and they'll be in a night. I'm wearing a Tshirt and I'm not cold which is why I'm wondering about the rugs! They've all got medium coats at the moment - none of them are particularly fluffy yet if that makes any difference...

Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
the bib clip could probably go out w/out. The tb (if it's anything like mine!) could prob do w/ a lightweight and the other native too could prob. do w/ a lightweight.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Depends if they feel the cold. I would think the hunter clipped may need a rug, maybe a LW. But the other two may be ok with out.

_daisy_

Visit site
as long as they dont get cold then why not. Just keep an eye on them.

I clipped my HighlandxWB mare full out and turned her out without rugs, even when it was cold. She hated rugs, she would rip them up to get them off her and would even sweat up in the field/stable without them. Problem was that the yard i was on didnt like the fact that i did it so reported me to the RSPCA.

MidnightStar

Visit site
The native (bib clip) feels the cold occasionally but only when it gets down to about 1 or 2'C! The TB will probably go out w/o as he tends to rip his rugs to shreds and the hunter clip native has never felt the cold in her life and usually sweats up with a rug on.

I just know that some *cough* experts on the yard will criticise me if they go out in anything less than heavy weights and I wanted to see how many people think it's ok to turn them out without.

MidnightStar

Visit site
about 9.30 in the morning through to about 3.30 im the afternoon. Oh, and they're in a south facing field with a hedge along it for shelter if they want it. The hunter clip will have her head and legs untouched and her mane covers both sides of her neck and is very long... *whispers that I'm not keen on pulling manes*
blush.gif
grin.gif

MidnightStar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Problem was that the yard i was on didnt like the fact that i did it so reported me to the RSPCA.

[/ QUOTE ]

B****y h3ll! I really, really don't want that to happen... What did the RSPCA do if you don't mind me asking?

Irishcobs

Visit site
My full clipped cob is out in just a lw today and its about 16c. Will be in a mw over night, living out.

Don't let the others at your yard tell you what to do, they have no right over your horses.

_daisy_

Visit site
My mare was fully clipped out from August/September right through to March. She would have a summer sheet on in the stable when it got really cold and only ever had a rain sheet on in the filed when it was cold and awful weather.
I would normally never leave a fully clipped horse out without rugs but when you saw this mare you would understand what a hard beast she was and she was too warm with her natural coat (and without it!)

MidnightStar

Visit site
The weather looks ok for tomorrow - dry and sunny with very little wind... I'm just worried that my mare will cook if I put on her MW rug (LW is still being cleaned - should have been brought back weeks ago with the other LWs
frown.gif
) She tends to sweat up anyway - last year when it was about 12'C and she had a blanket clip she was still coming in sweaty in a MW!

Weezy

Visit site
I certainly wouldnt have a MW on yet - I am sure she will be fine - better a bit on the cold side than hot - if a horse is cold they can move around to warm up - if too hot there is nothing they can do about it!

_daisy_

Visit site
luckily the yard owner caught wind of what was happening so called the RSPCA to advise them of what had gone off (yes these were so called experts- i used to call them all MRS BHS!) - it all got sorted and they said that there was no need to come and see me, but i flipped my lid when i found out - gave them all a piece of mind and told them to butt out (well in a bit more colourful langhuage!)).
I had (and still have) nothing to hide. If someone reports me to RSPCA/ILPH and their inspectors come out i know that i am doing to right by my horse.
Also they didnt like the option when i gave it to them that they could have my mare rugged if they wanted but they would have to pay the rug repair bill each week!!

MidnightStar

Visit site
Good for you !
smile.gif

I'm just not great a t standing up for myself and I know I will be criticised for not putting rugs on them. TBH, I don't think they'll need them but I wondered whther it was just me that thought they could go out W/O rugs.

I just wish people would mind there own buisness sometimes...
frown.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
Tell me about it- problem is i do what is right for my horses and stuff everyone elses opinions.
if i ask for advice then i take notice of what people have to say but they were a load of tosspots and still are!!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I go on the theory that if it suddely goes chilly you can fling a rug on. Unless you will be around all day I would leave the hunter clip with a lightweight rug, the other two might be ok without. The secret is to get them in again or rugged before the temps drop in the afternoon, I tend to go on the principle that if I am warm in a T shirt, they will be ok too!

sorona

Visit site
If your horses havent got much of a coat anyway then they are probably not feeling the cold yet so i am sure you could go without for a few hors in the day if you know the weaher is going to be nice although i would prob put a LW on the native. You know your horses better than anyone and if you think they wont actually need them then it is up to you whether to rug them or not. No point in making a clipped horse sweaty by rugging if they dont need it, no matter what anybody else says!