Is it ok to

only_me

Visit site
I thought it was just grass cuttings from a lawnmower that they couldn't eat; because of all the chemicals?

f_s_

Visit site
No, it's not safe to put horses out on a field that has grass cuttings. Grass starts to ferment when it has been cut and therefore can cause problems.
smile.gif

junglediva

Visit site
its ok for them to eat it aslong as it doesnt heat up.. if the cuttings are pilled on top of each other then dont because it will heat up inside and can give the horse tummy ache. if they are all spread out then that should be fine. also, it probably isnt a good idea because if u have ''rowed'' the grass together the horse will trample it if it is being used for hay!!! if that makes any sense lol

only_me

Visit site
ok, I have 2 horses out on a freshly cut field, but they are sectioned off at top of field as there is very very little cut grass if you know what I mean
tongue.gif

It has been rowed but they are fenced off 3/4 of field as there is more cut grass rowed there.

They should be ok on a sectioned off bit of field? I fenced them off the thick rowed bits
tongue.gif
it's hard to explain lol

D

Donkeymad

As long as the grass is long and not piled and so fermenting, then yes. The problem with grass cuttings from a lawn mower is that they do not have to chew much and little saliva mixes with the grass before swallowing. It is this lack of saliva that causes the problems. If the grass is long, then horse will still need to chew it properly.

m3gan

Visit site
I understand that when a field has been cut that horses have difficulty distinguishing plants that are harmless to eat from those that are not, possibly because they do not smell or appear the same when cut?

Tnavas

Visit site
Has it been cut as in topped to get rid of the longer grass? If so then it's fine to graze.

Interstingly if horses are not overly hungry and have acces to growing grass feeding lawn clippings is not a problem as they won't gorge themselves. Riding School owner has been putting grass clippings over fence into the paddocks for 25 years or more with no problems.