Is it okay for a sharer to 'call in sick?'

dressagelove

Visit site
Saturday just gone is usually sharer's day to do the horse. I have two other horses at same place (my parents farm) so I am there anyway, it just cuts the work load down. But Sat just gone, she text me saying she was too unwell to come today.

I must emphasise, I am not moaning, I am completely fine with her not coming if she doesn't feel up to it, as I say I was there anyway so just did him myself, but I was thinking about it this morning, and if I was ill, there is no one else to do my horses, so I have to do them come what may.

Shouldn't a sharer do the same? Or is it seen as less of a responsibility because it is not actually their horse? It is part and parcel of having a horse isn't it, doing them when you are unwell?

Again, I am not having a go, just a ponder!

Ilovefoals

Visit site
I would say that the sharer obviously knows that there is a back up in the form of the owner so they are more likely not to make the effort to do the horse in my opinion. I know if there was a chance I could stay in bed to get well and let the owner deal with the horse for a day, I'd take it. Tho I know what you mean. I keep mine at home and have done them myself when I've had tonsillitis and a broken foot. That's dedication for you! So yes, I think it is ok for them to call in sick so to speak, as long as the owner is willing and able to cover. If they aren't, I think the sharer has to do the horse regardless. x

Vodkagirly

Visit site
If there too sick, they are too sick. While I will drag myself to the yard in most circumstances sometimes you really can't (a few people on my yard have had the Norovirus and you really can't cope with a horse while you have that) Its not the sharers fault that you are on a yard with no backup.

Natch

Visit site
I can see both sides. The sharer knew you would be there anyway, so probably felt better able to call in sick than if for example you were away on holiday and it was either turn up and battle through, or horses don't get done by anybody.

holeymoley

Visit site
I think everyone's different, I have been there every day for my horse hell or high water even when I was physically too ill to do anything properly! I still did it with help, but then he is my responsibility and I love him loads too. From a sharer's point of view I can see they'd see it as it not being there full responsibility so she wouldn't need to come up if she was feeling ghastly.

russianhorse

Visit site
Hmmm not sure as I've a) never had a sharer nor b) been a sharer so can only go on my opinion :). I would say sharer should still see to horse if a bit under the weather, but if really really bad probably not. I look after a friends 2 horses on a weds and fri (and everyday since boxing day as she seems to have disappeared :/ ) and would still do them regardless of whether I felt rough of not :)

ShadowFlame

Visit site
It probably depends how ill they are, to be fair. If it's a sniffle, they should be there. If they're stuck in bed with horrendous flu, I can understand them asking. We all know how nasty it can be dragging yourself to the yard when you feel like you're on death's door, if there were someone else there able to sort them, I'd probably take advantage of it too!

Hobbitpony

Visit site
Hmmm well my boyfriend went mental at me last time I had a horrible flu bug, too sick to go to work, but I still went and mucked out/rode my share horse. I probably shouldn't have done it but I was brought up that horses get done come hell or high water.

That said not everyone is as bonkers/stupid as me. Sharing is exactly that... sharing so if I did choose to call in genuinely sick I'd expect the owner to understand and in same spirit if the owner was suddenly sick (which has happened to me more often!!) then I would be happy to to help them out with extra duties until they were well again. Its all about give and take :)

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Think sharer knew you would be there so took the option to call in sick. I expect if she had the horse on full loan at a different yard it would be a different story. Well, you would hope so!
I always do my horses myself no matter how ill or broken I am, but its different when they are your own.

kirstie

Visit site
I think that's the beauty of being a sharer... Not 100% responsibility.

That said, I shared as a youngster and had very bad flu once. I sent my non horsey parents up to do pony with 2 pages of instructions and diagrams of what to do!

Polos Mum

Visit site
If she were on a third party livery yard she would have the option of calling the YO and asking to pay for extra services on that day (which is what a lot of horse owners would do if really too sick to come down).
If she's a long term sharer and this is a one off I'd not worry about it.
If she's new or it becomes regular then maybe suggest a fee (in line with what a yard would charge) so she only does this when really necessary! Or suggest she shows her mum/ oh etc. what to do so someone else can cover in an emergancy.

Kat

Visit site
I think the thing is that as a sharer your options are turn up or phone in sick to the owner and ask them to cover or arrange cover.

As an owner it is different, if I am to unwell to do the horse I can arrange for family or a friend to do her or pay the YO (I ensure that I am on a yard that gives me that option). As a sharer you don't have those choices, you are on the yard that the owner chooses and I can only imagine what an owner would think if the sharer's not very horsey OH/Parent came up with written instructions!

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would say its ok to call in sick, especially if you are about and they are on deaths door!
Although sharing is a commitment it isnt 100% as at the end of the day it isnt there horse.
Being the owner is 100% so come rain or shine, deaths door or not we still have to get our arsses in gear and do them :rolleyes:

Ambers mum

Visit site
When I had swine flu I tried to carry on and do my ponies in December 2010, I could barely stand and my 14 year old daughter made me sit on a bucket while she did everything. I remember it was deep snow too and I felt so awfUl as I was desperate to help her but couldn't stand up. We had walked there as I was too ill to risk driving. The next day I was so ill I couldn't get out of bed, let alone the horses so my beautiful daughters walked up with my dogs in deep snow and did everything. I don't know what I would have done without them as its our own yard and we have no help other than my sister, I guess she would have had to take her three young children up there in the car.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If they were so sick they couldn't do the horse, what they should have done was to phone you and ask if you'd mind doing it that day as they were so unwell.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I don't think being a sharer means you have as much repsonsibility as the owner really. They don't get to make decisions over the horse - where it is stabled, what it is fed, what clip it has etc, so they aren't as committed as the owner... I think thats something you have to consider as an owner who takes on a sharer - they aren't an unpaid groom, and although helpful, shouldn't be relied on 100% for the help or money..

I have two sharers that come and ride mine. They don't pay and they just help if theres anything needs doing when they're there. Both of them told me they wouldn't be around over Xmas much as they had family visiting etc. I found that a bit :eek:, as family and Xmas just have to be fitted around the horses for the rest of us. Both of them rang up this weekend suddenly available again!

Abacus

Visit site
This happened to me with my 'sharer' - actually she has him on full loan but at the same yard. She hurt herself and couldn't drive so I did him (combined with YM) for about 3 weeks. It was hard work (also have another horse, two small children and a full-time job) but I didn't see I had a choice. He's my horse after all, but I would still do the same for anyone on the yard if they needed it.

In her favour, she was back the moment she could drive (actually probably a bit before she should have done) and has offered me free mucking out for a while so now am taking it a bit easier! Hopefully with a nice sharer it will work both ways and you could help each other.

lula

Visit site
I don't think being a sharer means you have as much repsonsibility as the owner really. They don't get to make decisions over the horse - where it is stabled, what it is fed, what clip it has etc, so they aren't as committed as the owner... I think thats something you have to consider as an owner who takes on a sharer - they aren't an unpaid groom, and although helpful, shouldn't be relied on 100% for the help or money..

this.^

although reliability is 100% to me only you know how good your sharer is and if this is a one off then it would be acceptable.

not saying this is you, but i do think some owners expect their sharers to pay for and work exactly half of everything and be as fully committed to their horse as they are but forget that its them who call the shots what the sharer can and cant do with the horse at the end of the day and (naturally) owner always has priority when it comes to riding and shows

a sharer will never be as committed to the horse as you re because at the end of the day, its yours not theirs but what i do expect 99% of the time is reliability. this, if a rare occurrence is perfectly forgivable provided notice was given. ie: not 2pm that day!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Perhaps your sharer didn't want to share her germs with you, she knew you would be there anyway and there was no-one else available to do the horse, which is ultimately your responsibility. IIWY, I'd be grateful that she kept her germs to herself.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Can't quote as on phone but Kat has said everything I want to say! If I'm ill then I ring my YO and pay her to do my boy.