Is it possible to be height-ist??

spacefaer

Visit site
I was wondering about rider's heights.....

I'm planning to advertise a job/wp vacancy and was thinking about the possible applicants. Our herd are 16.3hh - 17.3 and while very good, are quite large to handlle - putting tack & rugs on, for instance

I'm 5'8 and can manage fine but how do shorter people cope?

I can't say "tall people only"!!!!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Thats a tricky one!

You need to find the right person for the job but as you say dont want to be height-ist!

May be say something like
"would suit tall person"
or
"large horses"

hint, hint!

annaellie

Visit site
Am only small roughly 5,3 and my boy was 17.2 He was also a right handful :( After a few weeks of having him I soon found the easiest ways to daily chores with him with no problems whats so ever :) Its just a case of adjusting :D
I would put on the ad that needs to be capable of handling 16.2+ or something along them lines large horses etc :)

ThePony

Visit site
I would just give an idication of the height of the horses the person would be expected to handle. I wouldn't give up on shorter people on sight though. People of all heights can be **** or great at handling larger horses, totally irrespective of their height!

Katikins

Visit site
Agree with the above. I'm 5'4" and have handled very large horses. Its more about how you handle them rather than your size. I have seen a 6'2" rugby player being dragged down the yard by a shetland pony so any horse can take on any person if they really want to :)

Munchkin

www.aloegeneration.co.uk and http
I'm 5'3 and can't say I've ever struggled tacking up/rugging up/plaiting up the 17hh hunter I ride. I also had 2 x 16.2hhs before I left and their height never even really occurred to me.

I'd be a little offended if I applied and was told I was incapable of handling your horses because I'm a short arse!

HollyB66

Visit site
I'm average height 5'5" so not biased either way.

I would agree that it is the competancy of the individual that you need to ascertain rather than their height. A resourceful short person could be more of an asset than an incompetant tall person.

I have seen plenty of short people with large horses - they must find a way round the height differential.

One of the girls on the yard asks her horse to lower his head so she can put the bridle on. If my 14.2 hh horse decides to be awkward I can end up struggling.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
I'm 5ft2 and own a 13.2hh and a 12.3hh but i have worked with 3 day eventers and hunters as well as lots of other large horses. I used to show, do dressage and even hunt my ex's 17.2hh crazy dutch warmblood. I can ride anything realy small or big. Infact i handled and coped with him better than my ex who was alot taller than me. So i don't see why someones hight would be a problem. It all depends on the indervidul person. I am job hunting and would be VERY offended if i was told i was to short to handle someones horse :mad:. I would challenge them to handle my 13.2hh who when she wants to be is the strongest little s**t i have ever come across. I have had two big showjumpers piller rein her and they had to let go as they couldn't stop her :eek: Small people are better anyway if the horses are naughty shorly we can get out the way quicker :p ;) :D :D

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Don't think you can say "heightism" is'nt covered by the Discrimination Laws. I think any type of discrimination is illegal it is just that there are the main 9 stands of discrimination (two very recent new ones under the 2010 Act)

Under your principle would you say "red heads only need apply"??? as hair colour is not counted as one of the main areas of discrimination?

SO1

Visit site
I am 5.2ft and I have to say I bought a small pony who is 13.2 because of my size making it difficult to deal with a larger horse.

I shared a 15.2 for many year before I got my 13.2 and whilst I coped fine it was harder to put rugs and tack on and if she put her head up I would not be able to reach. If I wanted to plait I would need to stand on a box - if I needed to get on from the ground I would have to make a stirrup longer...If I was tacking up a 17.2 horse it would even harder.

There is no doubt about it is is much much easier for me with a small pony for me. It is not because big horses might be stronger but because everything is the right height for me.

However look at jockeys they are small but they handle and ride big horses just fine. I would put in your ad that the horses are large horses and let people apply as they should know what they are capable of handling. You could always give people a test as part of the interview - see how they tack up, rug up, plait etc before making a judgement.

You do see employers advertising for grooms that are small enough to ride ponies so it does go the other way too!

Weezy

Visit site
I can see your point, how can a 5ft2 person rug a fidgity 17.3hh without chucking it on, they cannot :) What about if a big horse lifts his head, impossible!

I would word it *must be competent and able to handle very large, fit horses* and I would make them tack up and rug up the big lad on interview!

Berkeley

Visit site
Don't think you can say "heightism" is'nt covered by the Discrimination Laws. I think any type of discrimination is illegal it is just that there are the main 9 stands of discrimination (two very recent new ones under the 2010 Act)

Under your principle would you say "red heads only need apply"??? as hair colour is not counted as one of the main areas of discrimination?

Heightism is not protected under discrimination laws.

Not any type of discrimination is illegal.

There are 6 grounds, not 9.

Commencement of the Act's core provisions will not be in force until October 2010.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I am 5' and have no problem with Cairo and now Farra Clydesdale, though they are only 16.3 so not huge. I have ridden and dealt with up to 18 hands, and you do learn to make up for lack of height, it is not that difficult.

I do however, have horses that never have any problem with me swinging a rug to get it on or standing by any form of object to allow me to get onboard. They lower their heads for me to put on bridles and face masks and I have no problem getting the saddle on, though with the 18 hand horse, I did use something to stand on so I didn't dump the saddle on. I use a block to wash and plait etc, to be truthful 16.3 is not that different to deal with than a 15.1 when you are my size and if it comes to strength to deal with a horse, then height really doesn't come into it.

I can see your point of view, but would consider a person on what they can do rather than limiting yourself to certain height of person. If you have large unmannered horses, then maybe a taller person maybe useful, but surely the aim is to have horses that have the manners to be handled by anyone?

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Heightism is not protected under discrimination laws.

Not any type of discrimination is illegal.

There are 6 grounds, not 9.

Commencement of the Act's core provisions will not be in force until October 2010.

I stand corrected then, I thought the new Act had the existing 7 stands plus marriage and civil partnerships; pregnant women and new mothers.

But if heightism is not counted as discrimination how would it work in reverse ie recruiting people of small stature for theatres at Christmas time (PC wording here) I'm not arguing but interested as I work in the disability field.

Sorry - totally hijacked thread here.

Berkeley

Visit site
I stand corrected then, I thought the new Act had the existing 7 stands plus marriage and civil partnerships; pregnant women and new mothers.

But if heightism is not counted as discrimination how would it work in reverse ie recruiting people of small stature for theatres at Christmas time (PC wording here) I'm not arguing but interested as I work in the disability field.

Sorry - totally hijacked thread here.

I'm a lawyer, and my fees are high. You're lucky with the freeby I've just given you ;)

Kat

Visit site
Actually, discriminating on grounds of height can be indirect sex discrimination, as men are typically taller than women. Hence a lot of jobs no longer have minimum height requirements.

Berkeley

Visit site
Disclaimer: Nothing in this post or any other post relating to Berkeley (the Author) shall be construed as legal advice and the Author makes no warranty or guarantee of the advice being correct and it should not be relied upon. Always seek independent legal advice from a qualified solicitor on any matter relating to your personal circumstances. :)

Arabelle

Visit site
Actually, discriminating on grounds of height can be indirect sex discrimination, as men are typically taller than women. Hence a lot of jobs no longer have minimum height requirements.

In addition, I believe the police force had to drop their height bar as it could be indirect race discrimination as certain ethnic groups tend to be shorter.

Just as well you didn't pay Berkeley's extortionate fees:D

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
What if a disabled person of short stature applied - would you have to make "reasonable adjustments" Tee hee teasing now Perhaps "Access to Work" would pay for a step ladder.

Berkeley

Visit site
In addition, I believe the police force had to drop their height bar as it could be indirect race discrimination as certain ethnic groups tend to be shorter.

Just as well you didn't pay Berkeley's extortionate fees:D

But there you say it - RACE discrimination - not heightism.

Sparklet

Visit site
Yes you can. 'Heightism' isn't protected under Discrimination Laws.

Actually you cant as it would be classed as indirect discrimination under the sex discrimination act because women tend to be shorter so you are excluding them. The Police and Fire Brigade were condemned for this.

You need to specify the task that needs to be done i.e. confident and able to handle large horses and when you see the people get them to do just that. If they cant then they dont meet your essential criteria so you can reject them.

Dont decide in advance who could do what you are asking, just decide what you need done and go from there.

Berkeley

Visit site
What if a disabled person of short stature applied - would you have to make "reasonable adjustments" Tee hee teasing now Perhaps "Access to Work" would pay for a step ladder.

Again, Disability discrimination. Gees guys just as well I have had my portion of pinapple today to fuel these questions!

spacefaer

Visit site
thanks guys!

interesting responses - I'm never going to choose an incompetent tall person over a competent small one :p but I know myself that although my herd are very civilised boys (and girl) that sometimes, I'm just too small to make myself heard! If I was 6" shorter, then the problem would be compounded lol!

Whoever I get will have to be reasonably competent around horses full stop as it's mainly exercising that I want, rather than loads of yard work, and riding the herd when they're getting hunting fit will be more of a challenge than mucking them out!

Having said that, it should be good fun as they could take them on hound exercise and autumn hunting if they're up for it! (or that could just be fun for me to watch :p!)

Cedars

Visit site
I would say something like extremely competant and confident handler required as we have some very large horses xx

Persephone

Visit site
I think this is a very valid question tbh.

At a shade over 5' I have to stand on a bucket to do a lot of things with my mare who is 16.2ish. Rugging is ok, I fold them, then unfold back and forward, so that's not a real issue. Actually saddling is better done from my bucket, although she brings her head down for the bridle.

Then there is bathing, clipping, mane pulling, trimming, all of which I don't stand a hope of doing from the ground.

My mare is used to me scuffing my bucket back and forth, but it is time consuming, not particularly safe for either of us and some horses may object.

So no I don't think it would be unfair to not be offered a job, compared to somebody much taller, but equally competent in this instance.