Is it possible to have a dog and a 9 to 5?

Aragon56

Visit site
Or more like an 8.30am to 6 as those are the hours that our house is unoccupied. Me and my boyfriend would really like to get a dog, but as we both work full time and working at home isn't an option, I'm not sure how we can. I know that we probably wouldn't be able to get a puppy, or that we could leave a dog for so long.

Would it work if we paid someone to come and walk the dog in the middle of the day (in addition to normal morning & evening walks)? This is an expensive option but we'd consider it. Or, the other alternative is to fit a dog flap to our back door so that the he/she can go in and out as they please. We'd have to make the garden a bit more secure but its doable. We have plenty of time in the evenings and weekends for it, its just the days that are a problem. I have thought about getting a cat, but we are quite near a main road, and as we're away a lot at weekends a dog is more transportable.

I know we'd be restricted to certain breeds and temperaments which is ok, we don't want a huge dog. But first I need to make sure if its feasible, or is it cruel to keep a dog alone even for a few hours? Our old family dog generally used to sleep whenever he was on his own, and although he didn't particularly like being alone he did get used to it and wasn't destructive.

WandaMare

Visit site
This is a really difficult one because with so many lovely dogs needing homes it seems a shame to discount good homes where people are working during the day.

I did have experience of this when my dad died and I took on the family dog, she was 7 ish then and did cope with it ok. Luckily within a short time I was able to take a job with the option to work at home or at least visit home during lunch hour. Personally I wouldn't take on a new dog and leave it all day but I do think getting a dog walker / petsitter to visit during the day is a good option and could work well.

Hope you manage to work something out
cool.gif

Aragon56

Visit site
Thanks. Yes I know what you mean, it is a dilemma as otherwise we could offer a dog a really good home. I know the rescue centres definitely wouldn't let us rehome a dog without having a dog walker in place, I'm not sure what they'd make of the dog flap idea.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Yes of course it is - I had my old spaniel when I lived in a flat in Birmingham (rescued from a neighbour who was going to have her PTS). There was a park about 200 yards away and every day she got walked round the park first thing and first thing at night when I got home (8 -6) and then round the gardens last thing at night. She would sleep, sometimes raid the fridge (until I got a fridge freezer with fridge on top - hah!!) and then weekends and evenings we go out to the big country parks, parents and friends gardens etc etc I had her for 7 years and Sweep's first year (got him as an 8 week old puppy) were the same. They got more walks than a lot of dogs that live in the village I live in now and were never destructive.
smile.gif

prosefullstop

Visit site
I think that sounds fine, as long as you walk the dog before and after work, and get a walker in during the day.

I'm lucky enough to work at home two days a week, but for the three days that I don't, Stella has a walker who comes in for 90 minutes; my dog is so tired from the activity, that often she doesn't bother to budge when I walk through the door.

SillySausage

Visit site
If course it's possible, if you're willing to walk the dog before and after work! My dogs have free run of the garden and their own shed! Shed has got food, water, beds etc. Garden is full of toys! Both are labradors, one of which has no brain (i swear!) and they both love spending all day out there. On weekends when I leave the back door open they always choose to go out rather than in!

missieh

Visit site
Most definately, provided they are walked before and after walk. I have a Newfoundland and have had her from a puppy and she is completely used to this routine (and when on maternity leave all she did all day was sleep anyway). Don't discount a bigger dog as they may be easier to adapt to this routine than a Springer/Labrador. Newfies are just great!

burge

Visit site
I used to work full time and for that reason had two dogs. They were company for each other during the day. When I was at home with them during the day all they did was sleep anyway so did not feel guilty about leaving them. Would only do it with a suitable breed though. NOT a Border Collie, Spaniel etc. etc. I had terriers and they are more than able to take whatever situations you throw at them.

Aragon56

Visit site
Ok this is all good to know. I'd definitely have to pick a suitable breed though, nothing too active. So is the general consensus that with a morning and evening walk, plus perhaps access to the garden, I wouldn't need to employ a dog sitter/walker too?

I'm sure a rescue centre wouldn't allow me to take a dog that had to fit into this routine to be honest, so maybe I'd be better off getting a pup who will easily accustom to fit into this routine rather than an older dog? I've always read that you need to be at home to be able to train a pup for the first few months, is this true?

It does seem a shame though when there are so many dogs in kennels needing homes. That said, whenever I have been round to these places, smaller dogs who have a good temperament and are good with cats etc, seem to be few and far between. There's always a lot of staffies there, which I know can be really lovely dogs but I wouldn't want to take on anything with a bad history or real problems as I don't have any experience of dogs like this.

Sorry for all the questions, I know I sound like a real novice! I'm just trying to work out the best thing to do.

SillySausage

Visit site
As mentioned, I wouldn't advise leaving a collie/spaniel all day... but it's possible to do it without a day walk so long as they have access to outdoors, and you're strict with walking them around your work!

I doubt a rescue centre would allow you to have a dog with the hours you work, but there's no harm in ringing up and seeing what they say? You never know! My Mum didn't have a job when my first dog was a puppy so she was able to train her and she is very well behaved. However this wasn't the case with my second, but I did training classes etc after college and at weekends to fit the training in. The problem would be if they're indoor during the day meaning you can't toilet train as effectively.

I suppose this all rests on your garden, whether is escape-proof!!

Hope this helps?

diggerbez

Visit site
yes its fine if you pick the right kind of dog! had a golden retriever that was fine with this and now have a 9 month old whippet and he is fine too- he sleeps all day but is in a cage when we are out otherwise he trashes the house
blush.gif
grin.gif

missieh

Visit site
Would also just say that if you get a puppy/adult dog, the best thing is to take a couple of weeks holiday when he/she first arrives. Then, after the first few days, leave alone for half an hour and continue so that right from early on they get used to you leaving (and most importantly that you are coming back). Also, leave in one room or cage as the run of a house can be very stressful for a dog - right from early on, they are learning where they fit into your "pack". Until they learn that you are in charge dogs can get quite distressed and feel that they must protect /make a mark on the whole house. This can lead to destructive behaviour and other behavioural problems. Really good luck, oh and do ask at the rescue centres - older dogs can often be left. Also, google "golden oldies" as this organisation (I think they still exist) rehome slightly older dogs and may not be as strict as some of the rehoming centres. Once again, good luck.
smile.gif

ponyperson3317

Visit site
Hi,
I'm rather late to this thread but thought I'd share my experience. My boyfriend and I recently got a dog and we both work full time. The house is empty from 8 til 4.30-5 but my bf comes home at lunch for 20 mins to see the dog. She is a greyhound we rehomed from the Retired Greyhound Trust who are more than willing to rehome to working homes. Greyhounds are perfect for this situation because they are very lazy- Dixie settled into the routine fully in around 4 weeks and now just sleeps all day long. We walk her morning and evening and she is often out all day at weekends and has a happy life. We never considered greyhounds until we read up about them - originally we wanted a terrier but they are hard work and need a lot of stimulation. Greyhounds are lazy and affectionate and clean - perfect for us!
Dogs Trust also said they wouldn't discount working homes from adopting, but the situation has to be right. Battersea said no. Generally smaller kennels are more flexible and as I said the RGT are brilliant - great home check, lovely dogs and plenty of support. Once you start reading up about greyhounds you'll be hooked, so beware!

Spudlet

Visit site
I rehomed from the Dogs Trust, Henry comes to work with me which they knew from the start but they also knew that I am a single person and that there would be days where Henry has to saty at home and be walked by a neighbour and they were fine with that. He is a spangle
smile.gif

I did go looking for a greyhound and would go for one if I couldn't take it to work with me. They are really nice dogs, I am just lucky to be able to have Henry with me (although he is sulking at the moment because for once he is on his lead as we have a visitor coming round - he is used to being a bit more free-range!)
grin.gif

mrsbloggett

Visit site
I agree with Ponyperson - I've two greyhounds who are 'home-alone' 07:30 - 16:30 Monday to Friday with no problems. They get half hour walk / run in the mornings and another longer walk in the evenings. Greyhounds are quite happy snoozing the day away, infact if I finish work early they give me a brief 'hello' when I walk through the door and go back to bed until my normal home-coming time! Greyhound rehoming centres aren't as anal as some rehoming charities on fulltime workers - they have a reality grip and realise most of us have to work full-time.

fmay

Visit site
We have always had dogs and worked full time. When our kids have been on holiday from school/uni they can testify that all of the dogs just sleep all day until we get home
smirk.gif

Good luck - choose your breed well.

Aragon56

Visit site
Thank you, theres some really good advice here. I definitely won't be going for a really active breed!

I do like bulldogs, and know they're quite lazy, but their medical issues and the fact that insurance is high for them really puts me off. Same with pugs really. We'll have a good think about what breed we want before we do anything else.