Is It Rude To Ask?

jumpthemoon

Visit site
I'd be really offended and wouldn't be happy telling the person my weight! I think it may be better to think of a weight limit and say 'My horse's weight limit is 'x' - is that ok?' or similar, rather than outright ask their weight.....
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
Well if she was experienced, I would approach the owner about letting her ride out with us once a week, in return she would fill in for caring for the horses if we were ever away for a weekend. The owner is really easy about us going away has said we can use friends, or a sitting service, but I thought it might be preferable to have someone who knows the horses, and has a vested interested in their well being.

JessPickle

Visit site
I think ask outright if you just say your horses weight limit they can choose there weight accordingly! after working in a RS always the case if you tell people the max weight they will always be less, and if you tell them the minimum age there child will always be exactly that age!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
We have a 14 stone weight limit at uni and everyone is under this limit and we were all asked to be weighed before we got on a horse. I wouldn't be offended if I were asked.

GTs

Visit site
I asked outright - coming from racing, asking weight is like asking if you take your coffee with sugar. 2 of the horses are young, and quite fine so I was thinking 10 stone limit.

lexiedhb

Visit site
When I was loking for a share i made it VERY clear I was no Kate Moss. I would expect all horses owners to have some sort of weight limit on them....... most people do lie about their weight though!

marieE

Visit site
of course its not rude,its very important and i dont see y people are so tetchy about weight! its much worse to not ask and have to tell somone on sight tht they are not getting on your horse because there too big, now thts akward!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I personally would just say my horse can only carry x amount of weight. Obviously there would be some types that will lie through their teeth but I think the majority of the horsey community would care enough about the horses welfare and tell the truth.

PennyJ

Visit site
No I don't think it is in this sort of instance, and if you're suspicious then I don't think you'd be completely out of order asking them to jump on the scales in front of you.

That said, a good experienced heavy rider will be much better for the horse than a lighter incompetent rider (but of course you know that already)

Natch

Visit site
I don't think its rude to ask, but the "the limit for my horse is X" thing is a good way. I always volunteered the info when I was looking though. If you have already met them then you should be able to tell anyway if OK to ride?

Natassia

Visit site
I would ask as well, the owner of my loan horse asked me and I told the truth, theres no need to lie and I wasn't offended at all. When I was looking for a share before (my horse before this one) I asked the owner if her horse would carry me ok, even though I was pretty sure she weighed more than me, its always good to show that you care about these things.