Is it too late in year to clip tomorrow?

NellRosk

Visit site
Want to reclip my mare tomorrow because we've got a few outings planned in the next few weeks and hers is pretty much grown out but my old school mother is saying it's too late in the year and it will ruin her summer coat. Opinions? Are you still clipping?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Had this exact conversation the other day and concluded it's probably too late for us as we have showing classes from April onwards. As a general rule I try to avoid clipping after the second week of Jan unless it's essential.

NellRosk

Visit site
Ah okay, thanks guys :) we were hoping to go to a few shows this summer so I'll leave her! Slightly relieved as it's one of my most hated jobs :D might trim her coarse pig hairs off with scissors to neaten her up a bit.

L&M

Visit site
Depends - I would happily do a full clip at this time of year, but if you are clipping lines e.g. a trace clip, then possibly not….

NellRosk

Visit site
Arghh what to do!! L&m I was going to leave legs on so might look funny but worried she'll get cold with them off. She's not doing a lot of work either.

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
Cf had his final clip today, usually i would never clip after end of jan but he has such furry armpits and trousers etc ;) that for his comfort over the next 2 months i decided to get a high blanket clip done.
Had I been showing before early May then i would have had the lot off :)

Primitive Pony

Visit site
I don't show so no idea about that bit, but tend to clip at start of March - I clip twice a year and that's it, never had a problem with it, even with legs left on!

Theocat

Visit site
Unless you're showing at a decent level I can't see a problem with it. I'll be full clipping in early march, otherwise it takes until June to get rid of the fluff!

NellRosk

Visit site
Unless you're showing at a decent level I can't see a problem with it. I'll be full clipping in early march, otherwise it takes until June to get rid of the fluff!

Hoping to go to breed society show at the end of summer if we get our act together! So don't know what to do argh!

Depends on the horse - no fear of mine moulting/summer coat coming through till April at least!

This is her first year fully clipped, so don't really know! And lucky you!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Want to reclip my mare tomorrow because we've got a few outings planned in the next few weeks and hers is pretty much grown out but my old school mother is saying it's too late in the year and it will ruin her summer coat. Opinions? Are you still clipping?

IMO NO! I am old school way of the thinking what I was taught when doing my BHSAI in the 70's I will not clip after the last day in January.

pootleperkin

Visit site
Just clip, it doesn't have any effect on new coat. I'm another that would clip year round if necessary.

Mine boy grows oodles of winter coat and was actually fully clipped three times before December (2 clips before HOYS), grew it all back and then has gradually been given a full clip in stages from Jan when he came back into work, to just last week when his head was finally given it's full clip for showing in April. I had just given him a grade 2 prior to that, as felt sorry for him in the cold snap! He is always late changing his coat, even when not clipped, but last year he didn't have his full summer coat until May.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I always used to consider January 31st as the last time to clip, but since I have an elk who lives out 24/7 who grows a coat like you'd never believe, I think I'll be whipping the lot off in March.

He's retired and his comfort is paramount, as is my sanity. I don't relish the weeks and weeks of hair clouds when "the moult" begins! :)

Last edited:

miss_c

Visit site
G is having her last clip this coming Thurs, but I don't show anymore and tend to give her a clip once or twice in the summer anyway. Her little triangle above her tail is not showing any signs of shedding yet - everything else comes off!