Is it too late to clip?

Silverspring

Visit site
I planned to clip at the beginning of December but then...well...it snowed a little, then A LOT and didn't stop for about 6 weeks. In that time our indoor school collapsed due to snow on the roof so the last 2 months have been spent going on short hacks at the weekends. But new school is getting built and it's definitely getting lighter in the evenings so I'll be riding more (yeay!)

So is it too late to clip? She doesn't seem to be casting yet so I would think it's fine but could do with a second opinion :)

hackinharry

Visit site
It's fine!! don't worry, some show cobs are clipped all year round due to the heavy coat they have, and you really wouldn't notice, it'll soon grow back!!

scarymare

Visit site
Its fine - I'm intending to clip 1st March - full including legs. Just a word of warning though - clipping plus spring grass plus returning to work probably shouldn't be in the same sentence if horse other than totoal saint!

Mrs B

Visit site
Its fine - I'm intending to clip 1st March - full including legs. Just a word of warning though - clipping plus spring grass plus returning to work probably shouldn't be in the same sentence if horse other than totoal saint!

Well, not without a liberal coating of Super Glue on your bum...

mcnaughty

Visit site
Not something I would personally do as most of the horses at our yard are now moulting very heavily and it could possibly ruin the summer coat, but if you are not into showing of any kind then it certainly won't kill them.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I am doing mine next week, I often do her this time of year and ha never affected her summer coat. I have in the past when she has been competing clipped her in the summer months as she sweats up easily.

finnywinny

www.earthwisegardens.com

Oooooh.... clipping + spring grass + return to work + chestnut mare + arab ..... . You are braver than me!!

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I clipped mine after the snow, Dec/Jan and the length of his coat is the same now as it was then so I don't see any harm, there's no sign of it growing back yet

PIP17

Visit site
Clipped mine (full) last Saturday - got on to go for a hack, but wasnt on for long!!! My normally palcid boy turned into a looney and did a rodeo display on the yard! Result - very sore bum and back from falling off :( Might stick to a blanket clip next year :p