Is it too late to drive him?

Stacie_and_Jed

Visit site
I long reined Jed last night then went out around one of the fields and thought to my self.....ide love to drive him.

He is very powerful which worries me a bit but i think he would go well in harness.

He is 10 now but i think he may have been broken to harness before w got him as a 3 year old, but im not 100% sure on that.

What do you think?
smile.gif

muffinino

Visit site
Nope, not too old at all. I used to work with scurry ponies and a lot of them were former riding ponies that the owners had for their kids and didn't want to get rid of, or sometimes ones that were too naughty for the kids to ride!
grin.gif

Often, they're better to break to drive when they're a bit older because they're already used to sights & sounds and voice commands. I'd love to break my 7 year old to drive but have nowhere safe to drive him out. Go for it!
Do you have any driving experience? If not, please get some lessons and an experienced person to break him for you, as it is very dangerous for a novice to try on their own. I love driving, learnt to break/drive at the same time and am actually a better driver (naturally) than riderbut had a very good teacher with bags of experience to teach me.

Stacie_and_Jed

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nope, not too old at all. I used to work with scurry ponies and a lot of them were former riding ponies that the owners had for their kids and didn't want to get rid of, or sometimes ones that were too naughty for the kids to ride!
grin.gif

Often, they're better to break to drive when they're a bit older because they're already used to sights & sounds and voice commands. I'd love to break my 7 year old to drive but have nowhere safe to drive him out. Go for it!
Do you have any driving experience? If not, please get some lessons and an experienced person to break him for you, as it is very dangerous for a novice to try on their own. I love driving, learnt to break/drive at the same time and am actually a better driver (naturally) than riderbut had a very good teacher with bags of experience to teach me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh kool. Im not sure i will do it yet but i am really thinking about it.
smile.gif

I have loads of experiance driving but minimum breaking to harness so would seek help and advice on that aspect of it.
smile.gif

Ezme

Visit site
Go for it, the more people driving the better! Mags was broken at 8, he lived on a farm and rode around bareback untill then so hadn't really do alot but he's now worth his rather large weight in gold and coachman wants magic potion to make him young again becasue we despereatly need him with the babies! He's the black in my sig

Ezme

Visit site
Oh god no. I think their handsome brutes but they're not good enough for that. Plus we have no transport so they only go anywhere when they're going to make money! Weddings, carnivals etc. It'd be nice to show them TBH, the baby percherons are pure bred and registered but too young for showing, it would definatly set them back. Mag (the black) has fantastic conformation underneath his fat and hair but is too old now so we need to save what energy he does have for training babies and well scroo.... ummm he's a psycho! He'd make a fantastic maxi cob if it wasn't for his back legs, he's very handsome but he's a tw*t most of the time. I like to ride and drive him but he'll take any excuse to be an arse but he does do local (by local i mean acctually on the estate! lol) dressage and showjumping in an effort to tire him out. Unfortunatly we've come to the conclusion its not him being young... he's gona always be like it, i can see it coming!

scan0001-2.jpg

See his rubbish back legs?

n779612409_595454_4889.jpg

But does jump rather nicely!

D

Donkeymad

Absolutely no problem breaking to harness at ten years old. Driving is wonderful. Ezme, get lost - I just LOVE those horses
grin.gif