Is it too late to re-school a 11 y/o ?

niagaraduval

Visit site
I have found a lovely horse to ride as well as mine but he is very very green. He has trouble turning, litterally have to pull his head in the direction I want him to go, doesn't have any topline what so ever, very high head carriage. He's also very bargy and just barges about.. however, he is 11.
Is it too late to re-school him ? will he ever become a nice schooled horse ?

Last edited:

Doncella

Visit site
I re-schooled an ex steeple chaser who'd gone straight from training to hunting until bought at 15 by a pair of novices who got him at a sale then put him in a field while they scratched their heads wondering what to do with him.
He was fab, I showed him as a worker and they got a nice RC all rounder.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Is there a reason for his lack of basic training? Being stiff, no muscle and a high head carrage might be a symptom of something physical - or just bad management. If you're looking to buy I'd get a good vetting and have a good poke around his back/ hocks.

Assuming just lack of education - absolutely yes, mine came to me at 14 and although he had amazing talent in some areas - he also had a lot to learn to become the nice RC horse he is today. It can take a bit longer as you have to undo before starting again.

niagaraduval

Visit site
I think it's just general lack of education. His owner is very novice and prety much lets him barge about everywhere and always has done since she has owned him, since he was 4. He has also never done anything at all or even been taught the basics. He was broken in at 3 then left to do nothing for a year until 4 when she got him. She just gets on him and lets him canter round and round the field in a circle then gets off him. He's so used to it he canters round and round on his own until he is tired and they stop.

Not looking to buy him, have 2 already and no funds :(

budley95

Visit site
It's not too late to reschool, but if you're looking at part share and owner is still just going to canter round in circles however he feels like it, you might find yourself going one step forward two steps back. Depends whether owner is going to be consistent with what you're trying to achieve as well.

Dirty_D

Visit site
My current ex-racer left racing at 11 so had no choice but to be re-schooled at that age and my ex-racer before left racing similar age but went to the Northern Racing College to teach the students and so i got him at 15 with him knowing only racing!

Consistency and patience is the key and allowing plenty of time for their muscles to adjust, regular physio helps and just make the re-schooling fair but fun (for them and you!)

wyrdsister

Visit site
Definitely not! I took on my reschooling project when she was 13 (super hack, confident jumping, but flatwork non-existent, was hysterical in the school, head-shaking, motorbiking, hopelessly tense, just careered about). She's now out doing lovely consistent dressage tests and her SJ has improved too. She's 15 this year. I agree with budley95, though, if it's a share horse your life will be a lot easier if the other rider(s) are willing to work on him too. Good luck!

Tammytoo

Visit site
Absolutely not too late, although I think I would get his back checked by a reputable chiro just to make sure he has no underlying problems before you start re-schooling him. It may take a while as any muscles he has have only done one thing and if you try and rush things you could end up with real problems.

Good luck!

FinalFurlong

Visit site
No! 11 is not old at all :) you can never stop learning or progressing its the same for your horse!!

Yesterday I was helping to break in a 7 year old (long story) and he's making textbook work of it so no its not too late!