Is it true that first foals are always smaller....???

Spyda

Visit site
It seems to be widely believed that a mare's first foal will never reach the height (potentially, I guess) of the mare's subsequent foals.

Is this generally true and, if so, why?

Is it simply that a maiden mare is less efficient first time round so her foal gets less nutrients in those first 5-6 months? If so, could this not be counteracted by conscientious care and feeding?

I am particularly interested as one of my mares has just produced her first foal. Its a leggy foal with knees and hocks already a bit above that of the dam so I was surprised to be told that it is unlikely to mature much bigger than the mother simply because it is her first. I'd had my fingers crossed to breed something a couple of inches bigger and thought this foal looked like it had the potential.
confused.gif

My mare is a 15.1½hh TB (herself by 16.3hh TB ex 15.2hh TB) and was bred to a 16.2hh Polish WB.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
It can be true, but not the rule.
We had a 16hh throw a 18hh as her first foal - much bigger than anything else she has had.
Its all in the stallion, some stallions are very good at putting size on a first foal. Alflora for one.

amandaco2

Visit site
smaller birth weight/size yes.smaller final size no.
once shes had one foal and shes stretched the foal will be born larger generally as she has more room to grow.final size is genetic

Andelusional

Visit site
Simply......no it is nonsense.
My mares were 3 and 4 years at first foal and 15.3hh and 16.1hh. Stallion was 15.3hh Both produced 16.22hh! 15.3 mare has since had 15.1, 15.2, and 16.1 foals to various sires