Is it worth getting him some boots?

Mince Pie

Visit site
Due to an old thread of mine being bumped up, you may know I own a serious contender for "worlds most manic dog"!!

I'm finding that because he does run around a lot, and does a lot of 'handbrake turns' that he can sometimes 'skin' the bottom of his pads. Obviously this is very painful for him, so I was wondering if it is worth getting him some boots for his feet? If so which ones would you get and where would you get them?

Cas1979

Visit site
I got boots for my GSD when he was suffering of CDRM, he used the boots also indoors to help with grip.

I bought rufwear but found them really expensive for the quality, so I found in Amazon UK a brand called Trixie's, half the price of Rufwear and a bit better quality..... Give them a try to see how you get on!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Ok, they look interesting. Would you get boots all round or just for the front? How do you measure the feet?

Cas1979

Visit site
I got then for his back paws cos those were the ones he was hurting. You can get 4 or only 2

Well Joey was huge so I got xxl and they fitted perfectly. The description I think tells you what breed out fits, order 2 different sizes and return the ones that don't fit comfy enough!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
If you know anyone with an industrial sewing machine you can make your own with their help.I was asked to make a pair of sturdy rubber boots for a GSD so I bought a new £3 rubber car mat, made up a pattern. Cut out the rubber to pattern, lined them with cotton summer sheet material, added velcro to fasten them up and sewed the 2 halves together, inside out, then turned out. Sorted!
For under a fiver you have 2 boots.
Oz

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have a few but I had the dog here to use for patterns, try asking your local Saddler they should be able to do it for you. It's more fiddly then anything else but shouldn't cost much. The end result isn't as good looking as some of the mass produced ones but they work.
I've seen some made out of Cordura (what outdoor horse rugs are made from), which were no good at all, they wore through very quickly. £12 a pair for those was proving very expensive for my friend as their dog was getting through 3 pairs a week!
That's why they asked me to help them instead.