is it worth getting vet out?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
my little hunting pony has a puncture wound at the top of his front off fore. He has either been kicked by my sisters mare or got stabbed by a nail (am going to check the field tomorrow, was too dark as only found it an hour ago).

Anyway, its only a couple of hours old as he was fine earlier today. He wasnt too lame to start with, but was obviously sore. went back up to check him just, and he now wont bend his leg at all, he is kind of dragging his leg around, is really sore to touch it.

This pony is a true "hard knock" and hardly ever makes a fuss, so do you think its worth getting vet out? will see what its like in the morning, if it is better than we will proberbly leave it and hope it heals itself, but if it isnt do you think we should call the vet out?

so annoyed, meant to be teamchasing him next weekend
frown.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
If lame and leg swollen and hot, I would be inclined to call the vet, because if puncture wound, you don't know how deep the wound is.
frown.gif

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I definitely would get the vet out - it is possible he has punctured a joint and if he has it will need urgent attention. We had a horse puncture a tendon sheath and the symptoms were similar not too lame to start with then really lame within a few hours. My own horse got a puncture wound at the top of his leg and he fractured his tibia.

What you are describing in my opinion justifies an urgent call out particularly if the pont is generally tough.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
so you think we should call the vet out tonight?

it isnt hot or swollen yet, but it has only recently happened as only turned him out at 4, he was fine when i let him into the field. It also isnt near a joint.

tanflislibs

Visit site
would deffo get vet out asap!! am so glad i did with my girl! she came in from feild and was lame (not as bad as yours it seems) and imediately we put icepacks and bandages on both front legs, could only feet a little heat, but when vet came out, he said if we hadnt, it could have been much worse! turned out she had pulled her supensory and if we hadnt done anythihng she could have been off for 3 month minimum! an das yours wont move his legs, it seems pretty bad!!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
As you have said yourself it is unlike him to react to pain this way which would suggest it is really hurting him. Especially if he won't move his leg at all, I would definatly call the vet out and least you won't regret it if it turns out to be nothing but you certainly would regret it if you don't and it is something serious.

Call the vet tonight for just in case hun.
I hope it is nothing serious.

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
Puncture wounds are the ones I would be most suspicious about and would call a vet if my horse showed signs similar to yours. These sorts of wounds are probably the worse as you have no way of cleaning them yourself and an infection is much more likely than with open wounds that you can clean.

mandy4727

Visit site
I would. My horse came in lame from the field last year. No heat, slightly lame, and the tinest tinest scratch you have ever seen and only noticed it cos of the blood on her white leg. Put some pictures on here and someone suggested a puncture wound. Got the vet straight away and she had to go on antibiotics for a week. It was a puncture and vet even mentioned a fractured splint bone and xrays if the antibiotics didnt work. So not worth the risk for the price of the call out for the vet and some powders.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
hi,
thanks everyone for the advice. Mum called the vet last night, for peace of mind if anything, and after describing to the vet where the cut was and the deepness, the vet told us to keep him in and keep it clean for the night. She came round this morning to check it out- the cut itself isnt very deep, and this morning you can see its a kick mark (it was abit too dark to see last night), it has bruised and swollen slightly and is hot, but the rest of his leg is fine. Vet took some x-rays, however it hasnt damaged the muscle/bones, he just needs to stay in and rest it, thanks for all the help, so glad its nothing too serious! He is still lame, but he is no worse than last night, but if it gets worse we are to call vet out straight away. just got to make sure the cut doesnt get infected now!