Is it worth trying a fetlock ring?

frostyfingers

Visit site
My TB has a very close action behind and is prone to knocking and scraping his legs. His main trade is as a hunter and I'm loathe to put full boots on as we are on very heavy and deep soil and I'm nervous of using boots for all the usual reasons. Does anyone think it's worth trying a fetlock ring - he does knock his fetlocks a bit, and can occasionally tread on himself (mostly due to leaping about like a loon) and I wondered whether there was any point in giving it a go? I assume it is less likely to rub and over heat but are there any drawbacks that I should consider?

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Mine wears a sausage boot (same thing, different name) on each hind whenever she's turned out or working without boots and it's made a big difference to the amount she stands on herself. She's not so close behind that she's constantly knocking fetlocks and I'm not sure if it would help that much in that situation as it sits just above the hoof.

I'd give it a go but get someone to keep a close eye on him the first time you go out with them on so they can tell you if they're rubbing and you can take them off. Worth a try!

Jaycee

Visit site
My mare used to knock herself so badly she would inveriably end up with cuts and scrapes, sausage boots or fetlocks rings whatever you may care to call them were a godsend she wore them all the time (apart from in the stable) and they never caused her a problem but solved a major one!

Tnavas

Visit site
Not often seen these days are Yorkshire Boots, they are easy to fit and protect the fetlock area well.

YorkshireBoot.jpg

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not often seen these days are Yorkshire Boots, they are easy to fit and protect the fetlock area well.

YorkshireBoot.jpg

You need a good supply of Yorkshire boots if you use them out hunting as you will lose them lots .
I have used sausage boots with good results in the past .

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
The farrier might set the hind shoes in a bit, so that the metal is not protruding, or remove hinds if that would work, also build up inner thigh muscles [long slow uphill trotting] .. lift tail and see if these muscles can be built up, it takes a few months!
I had some Tri zone hind fetlock boots which were good for normal hacking and schooling.
More work to reduce faffing about?

Last edited:

frostyfingers

Visit site
Those are interesting replies, thank you. He had kissing spine surgery last summer (the ligament desmotomy) which so far has been successful - his rehab included a huge amount of work on his top line and general musculature which has helped, and where we live is hilly so he's gets a lot of uphill work. Shoes off is not an option for him but I'll have a chat again with the farrier about what he can do to help. I think I'll invest in a boot and see how we get on with it, I appreciate that it won't solve it all but even a few less bumps and bruises would be a start.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My TB has a very close action behind and is prone to knocking and scraping his legs. His main trade is as a hunter and I'm loathe to put full boots on as we are on very heavy and deep soil and I'm nervous of using boots for all the usual reasons. Does anyone think it's worth trying a fetlock ring - he does knock his fetlocks a bit, and can occasionally tread on himself (mostly due to leaping about like a loon) and I wondered whether there was any point in giving it a go? I assume it is less likely to rub and over heat but are there any drawbacks that I should consider?

I used a jumping whip lightly on the knee every time my mare did it, even to the hiding and catching her out. She totally stopped in time.

Or a different method:

Here previous H&H replies>> http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/vices.html
bottom bar on the stable
pawing bracelet
kick chains all on the web above

Last edited:

stilltrying

Visit site
Depending on where he is catching himself, you could try over reach boots at the back. You might get some funny looks - but my horse was close behind as a youngster and would just score his coronary band on each hind leg. So for a while i had him in over reach boots behind. I tried the sausage boot but didn't find it effective. With time, work and maturity he strengthened up and it was no longer a problem

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I used a jumping whip lightly on the knee every time my mare did it, even to the hiding and catching her out. She totally stopped in time.

Or a different method:

Here previous H&H replies>> http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/vices.html
bottom bar on the stable
pawing bracelet
kick chains all on the web above

woops to early for me read it wrong, I too would use a sausage boot and have words with the farrier, also wear brushing boots or Yorkshire boots