is it wrong to be a quiet rider?

_daisy_

Visit site
just wondering really as weve had a few prospective buyers come to try a horse I am riding and they are commenting on how quiet a rider I am.

is it a bad thing? im gettting paranoid as im not a huge fan of strangers watching me ride.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No, it is a really good thing. Horses appreciate a quiet rider with soft hands and small movements and that style of riding looks so much better to the onlooker. My guess is that prospective buyers are feeling a bit inferior to you and not sure they will cope as well as you do with this horse.

TheMule

Visit site
Quiet riding is good but it can mean you're not being quite as effective as you could be- a more 'doing' rider might be able to get more expression, more impulsion etc

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers guys, i got a bit worried as one of the riders landed on his back with a bit of a heavy seat then got hold fairly sharply of his mouth then asked why he was runnign through her hands?? and I did wonder if that is how i looked to them?
if i could afford to buy him i would but alas i cant (although his owner keeps trying to persuade me lol) i really dont do this selling lark very well.

_daisy_

Visit site
TheMule, not thought about it that way, i see what you are saying. Said horse is a very impressive horse at the best of times and doesnt need me to tell him to go forward lol - although he can be sharp he isnt a novice ride.

ThePony

Visit site
Def is a good thing! Though, like the mule said, it is important that while being a quiet rider is good, it is necessary to know when to ask more 'loudly' to get the most from the horse.

icyfreya

Visit site
It's a very good thing, it means you don't nag and hassle the horse, but can get him going forward and doing what you want whilst asking with very small, subtle signals! You should be proud! :D

Lakelandcross

Visit site
Thanks from me too.

I've only ever done 1 dressage competition and one of the few comments was 'quietly ridden'. I wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing.