Is it wrong to have a purely leisure horse?

Lillybob

Visit site
As the title says really. I am doing an Equine degree and so I am surrounded by people who compete or teach to a high level and I am constantly asked what i'm doing with mine! I love my mare and when I've moved her and got the new job settled down, i'm hoping to get some lessons but most of my goals are pretty personal stuff, not to a certain level if that makes sense. I don't think i'll ever be too big into competing, it's just not why I love horses. Some local shows or low level show jumping courses would be lovely one day, but I can imagine myself being happy to be hacking and schooling and jumping at home for most of my time with horses. Of course we have things we want to achieve but it's personal goals and I feel like people think it's a bit silly that horses are more of a hobby and friendship than a sport or business thing for me.
Is anyone else perfectly happy to just hack, school and have plenty of cuddles and time with your horse or is it just me?
Some people have made me feel like she is being wasted by being wanted for those things, but surely it isn't just me?

Kitei

Visit site
I barely even ride at the moment, and not just because I'm injured. :p Obie and Harry are both quite happy being field pets, and coming in for some quality time. Neither of them seem to have any great desire to be doing anything.

As long as they're happy and healthy, and I'm paying the bills, I'm not hugely interested in what people think I should or shouldn't be doing with them. :)

ChwaraeTeg

Visit site
"""Is anyone else perfectly happy to just hack, school and have plenty of cuddles and time with your horse or is it just me?
Some people have made me feel like she is being wasted by being wanted for those things, but surely it isn't just me?"""

IMHO, Not just you , and if your horse is happy, he is not being wasted :)
Teg

Rhodders

Visit site
There are lots of leisure riders out there, I've not got a competitive bone in my body, I love my horse and for me it's always been about riding in the countryside enjoying my leisure time. People can look down their noses all they like, but I have no desire to ride in circles for hours on end, I love the way we are and I'm sure my horse isn't stood in his field moaning to his buddies that he never gets to go to pony parties ��

mytwofriends

Visit site
I've competed in the past, but only because my daughters did, and I'd go along and join the party with my horse.

Now they've left home and no longer ride, and I have a couple of horses who are purely pets. One gets hacked out occasionally. I've never once considered it wrong that they're not out competing. They have rather nice lives and I don't see them complaining!

Spreebok

Visit site
Who cares what you do with your horse? You could just keep it as a field ornament and as long as he's happy then that would be completely ok! :)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've never bothered to compete,even when I was young. I can't see the point of it. People seem to get up at the crack of dawn to travel off somewhere, get stressed and then usually decide that they need better and better horses.
If there was a show just down the road from me, I might enter for a laugh, but I wouldn't give a damn about it. It's not because I'm not competitive - I definitely am, but horses are my pleasure.
So you're not alone.

Visit site
Not every horse is even happy to be ridden, My cob has severe anxiety and psychological problems, my vet said he was just about the most anxious horse she had met and even suggested putting him to sleep if she hadn't seen he was quite relaxed with me, she said attempting to ride him would cause too much stress and he will only be a pet, i'd like to show him maybe but he is happy being a field ornamnet, so long as they are loved and well cared for i don't think it matters what you do with them, horses were never created to be ridden it's just something that happened i really don't think your horse would give two hoots if he never went to a show or competition so as long as your both happy doing what your doing it really doesn't matter.

katherine1975

Visit site
As long as you and your horse are happy then do what you want. I am not at all competitive. I hack, have one lesson a week and occasionally go on fun rides. I might go to some small shows. Just have fun and enjoy whatever it is you want to do :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not every horse is even happy to be ridden, My cob has severe anxiety and psychological problems, my vet said he was just about the most anxious horse she had met and even suggested putting him to sleep if she hadn't seen he was quite relaxed with me, she said attempting to ride him would cause too much stress and he will only be a pet, i'd like to show him maybe but he is happy being a field ornamnet, so long as they are loved and well cared for i don't think it matters what you do with them, horses were never created to be ridden it's just something that happened i really don't think your horse would give two hoots if he never went to a show or competition so as long as your both happy doing what your doing it really doesn't matter.

I do agree with 99% of your post, BUT.....horses were created to be ridden, you know: that's why man got involved and bred them specifically for that purpose. Otherwise they'd all still look like the Lascaux cave paintings.

Visit site
No there is nothing wrong with it at all - as long as you and your horse are happy and your horse is being well looked after, then it's nobody else's business what you do with them! I have recently got into competing but if I couldn't compete or even ride my boys they would still be with me - I see them more as members of the family rather than just horses. :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as long as your horse is being looked after properly and has a good quality of life....plenty of turnout, somewhere to get away from the flies or inclement weather, enough to eat and attention to any physical needs...teeth. vaccinations etc..I am sure he/she will be very happy, and if you are as well its a win win situation....your horse doesn't care if he is ridden or not!!!!!!!!

rara007

Visit site
Most people that compete even are just doing it for pleasure after all, only a small
Minority make money out of it!

Ps were horses ridden or driven first?

jojo5

Visit site
as long as your horse is being looked after properly and has a good quality of life....plenty of turnout, somewhere to get away from the flies or inclement weather, enough to eat and attention to any physical needs...teeth. vaccinations etc..I am sure he/she will be very happy, and if you are as well its a win win situation....your horse doesn't care if he is ridden or not!!!!!!!!
Absolutely this ^^^^^^
The important thing if you take on the responsibility of a horse is that you are in charge of its physical and mental wellbeing, and as long as you absolutely do your very best at all times with that, then what else you do is your choice and no one else's business.

dibbin

Visit site
Not at all. If you're happy and the horse is well cared for then it doesn't matter what you do or don't do :) I've had horses for 12 years and have never competed beyond little shows at home, and even then I've only done a handful of them.

Leo Walker

Visit site
In all honesty, mine is a pet. hes a young horse, so I've made sure hes suitably educated in case something ever happens and he needs to be sold, but he does next to nothing, other than let me kiss his nose :lol: I've been there and done that trying to find people who want to ride him, and cant be bothered with the hassle anymore! I'm hoping once I get my house move out of the way, that I will do more with him. But I'm disabled so limited in what I can do.

Hes a happy boy and is on a yard where I can manage him properly as he is a good doer. But his main job is to be my pet and hes very happy with that :)

Tobiano

Visit site
haha I am the kind of person who feels guilty if I take my horse to a particularly strenuous lesson, never mind competing! I like to feel that he has as much fun as I do, and I am pretty sure he does when we do pleasure rides (like sponsored rides) local to us.

I think what i am saying is that how you choose to spend your time with your horse is between the 2 of you, and nobody else's business, but I think the horse's preference probably is relevant. If your horse enjoys himself competing then it would be nice to give him that opportunity, but as long as you both enjoy whatever you do, thats fine.

I had a lovely 20 minutes today scratching my horse in just the right place for him, he was in7th heaven and I just felt brilliant for giving him that pleasure. Valegro could not have been happier doing the grand prix at that moment!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
You're definitely not alone.
I would like to do a few little competing sometime just for fun once I have my new horse but I'm not really competitive so it really would just be to meet a few personal goals etc.
I love just hacking out in the countryside and doing fun rides, occasionally a trip to the beach etc....it's got to be fun as that's what it's all about. Everyone's idea of funnies different though lol.
I bet alot of horses out there would like to be in your horses shoes :p

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Most people that compete even are just doing it for pleasure after all, only a small
Minority make money out of it!

Ps were horses ridden or driven first?

Driven, actually they were probably pack animals first, then chariot ponies, then (when they were bred big enough) ridden.

Lillybob

Visit site
This is such a releif to hear! Thank you all so much.
The main problem atm is that (other than being injured) my financial situation is making it hard for me to get her a good well fitting saddle and i'd rather not ride at all than ride in bad tack! It's nice to know she'll be happy to be a pet until I have the means to have a new saddle fitted for her and get some lessons under our belt!
Thank you all so much x

rachk89

Visit site
No definitely not it's nice to just go for hacks with a horse. Some horses don't like competing as well. My horse is one that could be used as just a leisure horse but I think he would find it a bit boring. He actually loves to be schooled as it means people are watching him and he shows off more if people are watching lol that's just his nature. Not all horses are like that they are just like people and are all different. He is one that is meant for competing he can handled the atmosphere well and just loves the attention from people staring at him. He doesn't love himself at all honestly... :p

muckypony

Visit site
No not at all.

I only compete because I enjoy it, so I think that's still a leisure use.

One thing I don't like to see though is a horse doing absolutely nothing when its perfectly able to be ridden. Horses like going out and about (hacking), its good for them to see new things and its a nice way to spend time together.

Princess16

Visit site
No as long as your horse is healthy and happy that's all that matters.

My pony is not ridden for various reasons and is effectively a field ornament. But we have competed him in in-hand shows (fun sections mainly) and take him on walks around the countryside by us. He has his friends nearby and loads of human interaction with Clicker training which he loves.

Don't feel guilty and yes you are right to stop riding him if the saddle isn't right.

Jango

Visit site
Of course it doesn't matter, your horse doesn't mind :) but I do wonder why you are doing an equine degree if you have no interest in the business side of horses. If you just want to enjoy your own horse imho you are wasting a lot of money to do an equine degree!!! Have you thought about what career you want?

Goldenstar

Visit site
As someone who bought an perfectly sound advanced eventer in spring and is having great fun going for lessons and riding about of course it's not wrong to keep a horse for pleasure without going competitions .
I will hunt my horse a bit and perhaps compete when I can be bothered and have a time slot for it .
He's happy enjoying turn out in a group and working daily I am have a great time .
I get asked the same question as you all the time are you going to X y or Z .
I am getting better at dealing with it now, it made me question myself at first .

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Horses don't sit in their fields dreaming of having a double clear around badminton. As long as your horse is happy and healthy, it doesn't matter what you do - go and have some fun!

SO1

Visit site
I think if you have a good horse with the potential to be a top competition horse people will tend to ask why you don't compete.

I have competed quite a bit with my pony but at the moment I am not due to personal choice. I have quite a pressured job and I prefer not to put too much pressure on myself in my spare time. My favorite activity is to hack out with friends, I also enjoy the occasional lesson and riding in the school in the evening.

Not everyone has the same goals in life, not all horses are suitable to be leisure horses in the same way as not all horses are to be competition horse. Temperament for example was very important for me as I wanted I horse that liked being groomed and made a fuss of and was gentle and would stay sane even if not ridden every day, whereas a competition rider might put up with a few quirks in temperament if they thought it might be a top competition horse.

If you horse is suitable as a leisure horse and you enjoy this activity then that is great.

huskydamage

Visit site
I don't really get the question tbh. Unless you are a professional rider and that is your full time job aren't all horses leisure horses?Whether they are eventing, hacking, or just being groomed- they are all performing somebody's choice of 'leisure activity'.

Where is the rule that says you must compete your horse because evryone else at your yard is? Personally I am not remotely interested if someone competes or not. It's up to you what you do with your own horse. (I am slightly confused by people who have loads of horses pay for them all, work hard mucking them all out etc and ride none of them)- but if that's what they want to do/enjoy- none of my business.

There is way too much bitching in the horsey world about what everyone does with their horses. If I want to ride around buttnaked (hypothetically speaking!) or the horse I pay for, I will :p