Is it wrong...

Denbob

Visit site
To feel so relieved! Denzel went off on his holiday today after a month of being stabled. The loading was making me nervous but he went in slowly (he does everything at his own pace...) but with minimal bribery and not one panic moment. He walked off the other end on a new yard having been stuck in a box and behaved like a total gent, loose lead rope the whole way. Introduced himself to his new herd like a seasoned pro and wandered off into the distance... not bad for a sheltered 5yo.

I feel as though a ten tonne anvil has been lifted from my shoulders and the rain clouds have gone. I can't believe the impact it's having already! I went food shopping and wasn't tempted by junk food, I didn't get grumpy at other drivers (even the bad ones...) and I just feel like a different person!

I have no doubt I'll miss him, just not right now. People have asked me if I cried and seemed a bit shocked when I said no! Feel a bit guilty for being so happy 🙈

Denbob

Visit site
If you feel that happy when your horse goes on a holiday maybe you should sell him?

The thought had crossed my mind, albeit briefly. We've just been through a difficult patch where due to some issues with respecting fencing he's been stabled for a month which is far from ideal for a young horse, he was struggling (as many do on extended box rest) and the extra money and time I was investing was taking a toll on me and my mental health. He was also becoming hard to handle and as a result I fell off twice last week, one of which sent me to a&e for spine and pelvic x-rays. I don't blame him for that ultimately I should have moved him sooner!

I realise it maybe did sound as though him going away made all of my problems better and if that was the case I would look at a full loan but actually the holiday being the best thing for his welfare (and I'll freely admit to welcoming the idea of a few weeks off mucking out twice a day!) is more the reason for my relief!

ImmyS

Visit site
I think you feeling this way just shows it was the right thing for you and him right now! Just see how you feel when his holiday is over, if you dread the thought of him coming back then maybe you’ll know then whether it would be best to sell? Sometimes a bit of time out does the world of good, for horse and owner! 😊

JJS

Visit site
It's not bad at all 🙂 It's a holiday, nothing more, and it sounds like he's been absolutely miserable cooped up. You know he'll be happier, you know you won't have to handle a horse whose frustration is making him increasingly difficult, and that you won't have to spend all of your time and energy on trying to make the experience a bit more enjoyable for him. Who wouldn't be pleased about that?

babymare

Visit site
Hey don't feel quilty. You have been through a tough time. Your head and body are drained . Use this holiday to re energise your batteries. Have some pure "you" time. Not same but we have a young English springer who i love to bits.I walk her approx 2 hours a day but when we go on holiday she goes in kennels and I feel relived that for 2 weeks I'm not stomping through countryside. It's my time. It's a holiday and not eternity 😀X

chaps89

Visit site
When I bought my mare she went lame within 6 weeks of buying her. We went through months of box rest, restricted turnout etc and I was so emotionally, financially and physically broken. Her previous owner took her back for 6-8 weeks and it did us both the world of good and meant we could start again with best foot forwards after a break.
So I think it's probably not a bad idea to have sent him away, for both your sakes from the sounds of it. Hopefully you'll both feel better for it and be in a better place to decide on what to do going forwards after a break.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I walked my son's dog through the farm next door yesterday morning and was held up briefly when the older calves were turned out to grass for the first time. It was a gorgeous morning and the sight of them all running around bucking and broncing and play fighting was a real tonic. Denzil must be loving the freedom, the grass and sun on his back today.

Reactions: JJS

ihatework

Visit site
Honestly more people should do this!
On more than one occasion where things were becoming muddled, complicated and stressful I’ve just turned a horse away.
The fog lifts and the horse is usually happier.
You can then make more rationale decisions about how to proceed with the situation.