Is Living out 24/7 365 really best for your horse?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Every horse I've had has preferred the option of "out" but then I have always been lucky enough to have unrestricted grazing. For example, now we have 2 horses on 21 acres, split between winter and summer. It's varied terrain, old semi-fell with lots of natural shelter and loads of different plants. They have a strawed barn but rarely use it.

However if they were knee deep in mud I would definitely consider stabling at night. The problem there though is that the mare is slightly arthritic and 24/7 turnout is definitely better. Plus it keeps the youngster busy and entertained, and exercised!

TigerTail

Visit site
Yes - without doubt, unless you have cow sized barns for them to roam in as single boxes 12x14 are simply not sufficient for their hooves, limbs and stomachs never mind their brains.

Horses that 'like' to come in do so for the food is what they associate with being in their stable…..

windand rain

Visit site
It is something we should all aspire to but only if you have suitable ground conditions and proper shelter is is far harder and more expensive to do properly. Chucking them out in a muddy patch is never the best option and that is from someone who wouldn't have horses at all if they cant have freedom to roam for at least 12 hours every day in good conditions and company.
It is a principle that I will never move on and would have the lot pts if the option was 23/4 hours stabled and the exercise on a horse walker or school. I suppose it is a ocd of a different kind

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Depends. For a tb or other hotblood type, its not the best always because they simply can't cope with the weather. For natives i think it is okay, but i'm a softy. Mine are all hardy types but they would knock you down to get in and refuse to go back out.

What rubbish. :p

Melodysnow.jpg

Horseshayfeeder.jpg

Having owned a TB who got really stressed when stabled (shook, wouldn't eat or drink), but was happy as larry when out (and wasn't rugged until she was elderly) I can assure you that TB's and other hotbloods (the second photo also has a 2 year old arab and an anglo-arab in it) can live out and thrive. :)

Last edited:

prosefullstop

Visit site
I do think it's best, but I doubt it'll be possible for me. We are about to start building a three-stall barn and two paddocks, one an acre and the other three acres, to be used when the weather is okay. But I know that field turnout will be damn near impossible in my neck of the woods (Connecticut, USA) from December-April. When the snow freezes over, it is far too perilous. I plan to do 24/7 turnout in summer, 12/12 in spring and autumn, and we are building three all-weather granite pens (35 x 30 feet) attached to the stables, so that we can do a sort of turnout all year, but these will be a safety net option when ice is thick on the ground.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Wish somebody would tell my tb that he can't cope with the weather. Peeing down with rain, everyone else had come in but he still made me walk down to the far corner to get him in while he pretended to be deaf to my calls. He was happily grazing and was quite put on when i put a headcollar on.

I on the other hand would rather not get wet.

Ideally I'd keep mine out but it has to be the right environment and good grass livery means far fewer horses per acre than other types so yards don't really offer it. So we make do with daily turnout.

flirtygerty

Visit site
My four have moved this week, from free access to fields and barn/stables, to living out 24/7 and they love it, 2 veterans at 20 yrs old, a 10 yr old and a 3 yr old, not having to plodge through knee deep mud has helped, my woosy 20 yr old TB is still in a MW rug, the 20 yr old WB, arthritic mare still in a fleecy LW rug, both are toasty warm, despite my stressing about them coping, it's been me that hasn't coped, the horses are fine

NZJenny

Visit site
90% of horses in New Zealand live this way. Stables here are the exception not the rule. Mine live out in a paddock, with just trees and hedges for shelter. They range in age from two to 22, they are covered as appropriate, hard fed every day and get ad lib hay during the winter. The paddock gets very wet to the point of being under water, if its a really bad winter, every year. We occasionally get snow.

My Arabian gelding hates the rain and will park up under the hedge in bad weather and just look miserable, yes he can lose condition, but he isn't silly enough to starve himself and keeping them in good nick going into winter is just part of the process. My others are two Anglo Arabians and a quarter Clydesdale/three quarter TB. Breed doesn't really come into it - there are plenty of TB's in NZ.

I don't have issues with colic, coughs, boredom, excess energy or any of the other problems that come with stabling. And while I occasionally would love to have somewhere dry to keep them clean during the winter, I'm not so sure they would be quite so thrilled about it.

Last edited:

rara007

Visit site
We'd love to have the land/climate to turn out on perfect grass with a gateway that'll hold up for them being brought in to be fed twice a day, but as we live on awful ground that even under stocked by midwinter is a mud bath that's not an option.
As it happens they go out for just a few hours each day- some are waiting by the gate within an hour others prefer to stay out. They get hay in the field and hay in the stable so it's not food associated.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Yes it is best for mine. The 21 year old is less stiff and no swollen joints, and the youngsters have the time to play whenever they want. They have shelter, ad lib forage in their barn which is dry under foot, and they have four acres of )not great at this time of year) grass, hedges, views to look at and a quiet country lane to watch. If they were in at night the stables would be bogs (earth floor), the 21 year old would have windgalls, the 4 year old would be unsettled and sweating, the two year old would probably be fine. I'd have to be getting up at 4.30am instead of 6.30am... and we have no electric and whilst mucking out etc by head torch is possible it isn't easy...

Kikke

Visit site
My boy with breathing issues was out 24/7, fully clipped and hunted every week. Big field with hedges no field shelter. He was fine.
our big man is the same, not because of breathing issues but because hu kicks down the stable door is kept in. so maybe I would think it would be better for him to be in. he clearly does not agree!

Elljaybe

New User
Visit site
First time Australian poster (long time reader!)

But I wanted to note that 90% of horses over here live out 24/7 with shelters or stables that they can choose to use at will.

But we have the luxury of space and a more even climate. Also 'livery' as you call it is almost non existent!

My boys (2 Friesians, a Standardbred, a Fjord and 3 minis, oh and 3 alpacas if they count!) all live out on 7 acres with a dam to swim in, treed gully for shelter and gentle rolling hills for exercise. The vet and I are not on first name basis, and they stay fit even when I don't get time to exercise them.

Pudster

Visit site
Only time my 'Fat and Furry' cob lost weight was being stabled overnight and on 'wet' days..?!! , he box walked constantly and stressed off the weight.. cost me a fortune to keep condition on him..!

This year is out 24/7 in 100g (max and will be all weather) and is happy as a pig in muck..

Out every time for my boy.. He is happier that way and I will do whats is right for him.. unless illness or injury states otherwise.

maxapple

Visit site
My two live out. My pony no longer weaves, is much easier to ride and is just happier.

My 20 yr old tb who 3 months ago I thought was on his last legs is so much more mobile and not stiff.

This weather is proving to be a challenge but they have a huge field (20 acres+) for 5 of them with loads of natural shelter including woods to go in. 80% of the field is dry ('they have a big hill which is on chalk) but they seem to prefer spending time in the 20% that is a mud pit.
There's not a huge amount of grass left but they get hay twice a day and they are always grazing so must be finding grass to eat.

They are so much happier than they were being stabled - it's just me who worries

dominobrown

Visit site
I think it depends a lot on your land.
I am near sea level on sandy soil and my neighbour keeps TB's etc out all year in a sheltered field with rugs on and they do quite well.
where I work we are quite high up in the lakes, basically on a fell side and I believe the only type of horse which could cope being up there is a hardy native type, on lots of land. The fields are so wet this time of year, and you would not believe the extremes of weather.

hairycob

Visit site
Not many people are lucky enough to have sufficient/suitable ground for 24/7 turnout in winter so have to cope as best as they can. Even if you & your horse would love 24/7 turnout living in a field that is just deep mud is less desirable than stabling at night.
A friend of mine was getting quite worried a few years ago as every time she came up to bring her horse in he was standing by the gate looking miserable. She came up a bit earlier each day & still it was the same, she thought he really hated being out & was coming up early afternoon to get him in. That was until I was catching up with yard jobs one Saturday. For over an hour he was mooching round the field, grazing quite happily until suddenly his head shot up, he cantered over to the gate from the opposite end of the field & he stood with his head down looking utterly miserable. A few seconds later owners car came round the corner! The next day we planned it so I was at the yard an hour before her & she came an hour later - exactly the same thing happened. She went back to bringing him in late afternoon after that.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
It really does depend on the horses and the set up of your yard. I think if they have plenty to eat they tend to be happier to stay out but can we really supply them with the endless supply of hay/grass with work restrictions etc? I dont think any of us have any grass at the moment and as others have said they are just standing at the gate in the mud waiting to come in.
As we have domesticated the horses so much its also for our own convenience as we like to have a clean dry horse to ride in the mornings.
Is it really easier them being out than mucking out? My field is on a hill and poo picking is not fun the amount of times I have fallen over the wheelbarrow goes flying emptying its contents that I have just collected :-(. Would rather muck out a dry stable.
I know my horses very well and I know when they have had enouhh and want to start coming in overnight. We did manage to keep them out until the end of November but the weather has been foul.
Not to mention the horses that need to come in/ be restricted due to lami etc.
You need to do what suits you and your horse.

Spoiled cob

Visit site
Mine are in at night in the winter and in for the day in the summer, they make it clear they don't like being out 24/7 even the 1 year old Shetlands are desperate to come in. All like to go to sleep in their deep shavings beds. They are very pampered :)

My new horse spent the whole winter in before I bought him and will not go out on bad days and will only stay out for a few hours :( I can't even tie him up outside if the wind is bad, his mission in life is to get back in his stable!

Was glad they don't live out though when the wind flipped my large field shelter over and rolled my small one twice they would have been terrified if out.

glamourpuss

Visit site
For MY horses. No it's not. I tried it last year, despite constant access to large bales of Haylage, good rugs & thick hedge shelter they were all miserable. We are on clay & even though I have plenty of land to rotate they ended up stood in mud. They got mud fever (& yes I had slathered in everything known to man to protect them). One if them lost a huge amount of weight - I think instead of grazing/eating Haylage he stood by the gate or with his back to the weather. The final straw came when one of them kept jumping out of her field & coming in on her own.
Now mine are out 24/7 from early spring until as late as possible autumn/winter...at least after the clock change. They then come in at night but go out everyday for turn out.
I also have a fab set of stables, it's rough & ready because I knocked it up with my OH. It's basically a large open fronted pole barn which we have sectioned up into 3. Each individual area is large (about 18' square) & the partitions between them are only half height. So when they are in they can see, touch & groom each other. The fronts are also open & there are windows at the back so plenty of fresh air & able to see everything going on.
Both me & my horses love our scruffy stables.....so much so the I've had planning permission for a block built traditional stable block for over a year now & I haven't started them :D

Near me there are some ponies kept out 24/7 on a postage stamp patch of .....well I want to say grass but the reality is its a deep soup of mud :(. The ponies seem to have plenty of hay & I'm sure the owners are sure they are doing the best for them with their 24/7 turn out but the poor things look bloody miserable & it's hardly providing them with the optimum environment IMO.

junglefairy

Visit site
I've always kept mine out 24/7 only bringing in on the odd night when the weather is really awful. Based on other posts It seems some horses prefer to be in overnight and I understand that people know their horses and what is best so that seems sensible.

However, one thing I am certain is that 24/7 stabling is not ok and is tantamount to cruelty (unless of course there are very good/medical reasons for doing so).

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
If I still lived on chalk then my horse would be out 24 7 on 4 acres of good watermeadow. Although at the moment, I would probably have brought him in as I know my old field would be underwater today!! My other field at the old place was on a very steep hill and had rubbish grass but it had great hedges to shelter from the wind in and was amazing at keeping horses fit and I was more than happy to keep them out there.

However, now I have 2 acres of clay ground which would not cope with 24 7 turnout in the winter, my horse comes in every night but is generally out from 8 a.m to 6 p.m and seems quite happy. He is a pink skinned, grey OAP 7/8ish TB who doesn't need to be standing knee deep in clay. Amazingly though, the fields are actually ok at the moment despite being totally underwater last Monday. OH mole drained them and put a big drain in as well and the standing water is nowhere near as bad. It does also help that horse goes out in the field and is exercised every day so never really has a hooley because he's pretty chilled.

He was out 24 7 all summer and I only brought him in at night at the beginning of November when it started to get wet and I needed him clean to ride in the morning before work. He will go out again probably middle of March and stay out 24 7. I think as long as they have enough food, are warm enough, have good shelter and aren't standing knee deep in mud - they should cope fine!!

However, if you think about it, TB's, Arabs etc weren't meant to live in our climate. They came from hot, desert like countries who didn't have weather like us or mud like us. Native ponies are meant to live here but aren't meant to live cooped up in small fields/stables. We have domesticated horses and, with that, we have taken away some of their ability to survive in the way they evolved. So no, not all horses want to live out 24 7 because they don't have to and in some cases, 24 7 turnout all year round isn't best for them (or us!!)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
However, one thing I am certain is that 24/7 stabling is not ok and is tantamount to cruelty (unless of course there are very good/medical reasons for doing so).

I don't, ever, keep horses in 24/7 but would like to point out that IF horses get enough exercise they are perfectly happy stabled. But very few horses get enough work nowadays. Horses are very adaptable animals, as all the varied systems talked about on this thread have shown, but I do sometimes wonder if the reason many people are so keen on keeping horses out is because they struggle with the exercise/work requirements?

junglefairy

Visit site
Cortez I disagree. An hour or so exercise a day then cooped up in a stable for the remaining 23 hours is completely unsatisfactory both for the mental and physical well being of a horse.

I have worked at competition yards where this was the norm so do have experience of horses living in these conditions.