Is Modecate licensed for use in horses?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
This has intrigued me, having read that it was used in the Kent dealers scandal and subsequent sentensing.
I have seen it used in humans with serious mental health problems (and seen them very over sedated with it) and am amazed that anyone even thought of using it on horses, who I don't think are ever diagnosed as being psychotic! So is this used often and would every vet surgery carry and order it?

YorksG

Visit site
If you type "modecate for ho" into Google it's suggesting horses before you get any further. Lots of info on the net about it.
Indeed, but all I could find were forum comments, nothing regarding its official use in horses and some info about unexpected reactions/paradoxical reactions, I couldn't find a dosage even. I am still trying to work out why anyone would expect an anti-psychoic to be found in a vetinary practice, as in the Kent situation.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Never heard of it until today, but having Googled it there seem to be a lot of horses on it. It seems the active ingredient name is fluphenazine. Many references to horses, even a well known dressage rider found with small amounts in the horse, and a video of a horse where a vet gave too much. One account had a vet give it for 6 months of box rest, where it was a success.

Apparently a small dose lasted 16 days! The horse went from high and dangerous to chilled out.

I guess, as ever, it is not the drug that is evil, but the use it is put to.

YorksG

Visit site
Never heard of it until today, but having Googled it there seem to be a lot of horses on it. It seems the active ingredient name is fluphenazine. Many references to horses, even a well known dressage rider found with small amounts in the horse, and a video of a horse where a vet gave too much. One account had a vet give it for 6 months of box rest, where it was a success.

Apparently a small dose lasted 16 days! The horse went from high and dangerous to chilled out.

I guess, as ever, it is not the drug that is evil, but the use it is put to.

Having seen the effects on people, I'm pretty sure I would think twice, or even three times before I allowed it to be used on my horse! The length of the effect is likely to be because they have used the Depo injectable form, often in people the time between "depo's" is three weeks to a month (the active ingredient is held in a suspension with sesame oil). I am just astonished at the idea that it appears to have been ordered and used so casually, when in human mediine it is quite strictly controlled, needing to be colleced from the pharmacy for each patient, each time.

Wundahorse

Visit site
Modecate or Fluphenazine decanoate has long been used as a depot antipsychotic for Schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. It is a long acting oil based drug that can stay in the system for months. It has numerous side effects which are distressing and often warrants other medication to counteract such reactions. In recent times modern drugs have replaced Modecate to a large extent. I guess the pharmaceutical companies need another outlet for these old drugs, hence the equestrian market.
Such a shame this drug is being used for all the worst reasons.