Is my boy an Irish Draught? (unregistered)

skint1

Visit site
I know this isn't a very earth shatteringly important question, and the answer is for the purposes of curiosity only!

This is my new boy Alex, I have had him since end June after losing my beloved mare Maggie in April. Of course she can never be replaced, but I have been very fortunate to have him come along to distract me at the right time. He's a bit more forward going than she was but pretty much always a gent, he does have his "Scooby Doo" moments where he pretends to spook at bags in hedgerows so he can get his head down to munch and he's really, really fast compared to what she was which has taken a bit of getting used to hahah but he does listen and he's generally pretty good and such a pleasure and very kind to a silly old novice such as myself :)

He's around 16hh, 7ft rug, he is a solid unit, very strong and powerful, thank God he is a nice lad! I'm totally smitten with him in any case,

He was introduced to me as an ID, but his passport is breed unknown, so just out of curiosity, do you think he could be an ID or an IDx (if so what with?) Or something else completely? Of course, everyone loves an opportunity to share photos of their horses but I am genuinely wondering!

Alex20Horse202_zpseso3zsua.jpg

Alex20and20Me20July202015-5_zps3eupkhte.jpg

11692916_10206009140320458_1371695085_n_zpshc6sig7r.jpg

DD

Visit site
hes utterly utterly utterly GORGEOUS . I think hes ID or ID x sec D. whatever he is he's one in a million. lucky you!

sasquatch

Visit site
He looks like a bigger version of my boy, who is believed to be part Welsh D!
Face wise, he looks a little more part ID. Having seen a lot of pure and crossbreeds over here, he could well be ID crossed with something like a Welsh D, but I see more Welsh than I do ID especially in the last photo!

Do you know if he was born in Ireland? And if so, any name of breeder or even area? Sometimes you can look up the area and it'll give you an idea of the type of horses being sold there and if there's a lot of a certain breed being sold. Won't confirm anything, but may give you an idea to any potential crosses due to what is popular there!

skint1

Visit site
Thanks all for taking the time to humour me and give your opinions! I was just up at the yard seeing to his handsome self. Bless him. I can hardly believe that I have such a magnificent animal.

From what I know of Welsh Ds it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn he has some of that in him. I have a friend who has a big solid giant one that is fairly similar except for the head. Alex has a MASSIVE head, whereas my friend's Welsh D has that lovely Welshy head

I have no idea where he was born or anything like that, his passport just says "Unknown" for sire, dam, etc, He's 15, I thought about asking his first owner but I didn't want to bother them.

Barnacle

Visit site
I would guess Welsh D x TB... If you Google the cross, you'll see that they are widely varied but many turn out like that. Whatever his breeding, he looks lovely.

alainax

Visit site
He looks quite shirextb. Which was quite a popular cross, and very useful I am led to believe. I know of one IRL who is a great horse.

Random pic i pinched from google.

232323232%7Ffp73237%3Enu%3D3247%3E4%3C%3A%3E56%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D325%3B3%3A9984329nu0mrj

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I know this isn't a very earth shatteringly important question, and the answer is for the purposes of curiosity only!

This is my new boy Alex, I have had him since end June after losing my beloved mare Maggie in April. Of course she can never be replaced, but I have been very fortunate to have him come along to distract me at the right time. He's a bit more forward going than she was but pretty much always a gent, he does have his "Scooby Doo" moments where he pretends to spook at bags in hedgerows so he can get his head down to munch and he's really, really fast compared to what she was which has taken a bit of getting used to hahah but he does listen and he's generally pretty good and such a pleasure and very kind to a silly old novice such as myself :)

He's around 16hh, 7ft rug, he is a solid unit, very strong and powerful, thank God he is a nice lad! I'm totally smitten with him in any case,

He was introduced to me as an ID, but his passport is breed unknown, so just out of curiosity, do you think he could be an ID or an IDx (if so what with?) Or something else completely? Of course, everyone loves an opportunity to share photos of their horses but I am genuinely wondering!

Alex20Horse202_zpseso3zsua.jpg

Alex20and20Me20July202015-5_zps3eupkhte.jpg

11692916_10206009140320458_1371695085_n_zpshc6sig7r.jpg
Why don't you do this >>>http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine/Equine_FAQ.asp

skint1

Visit site
haha, it's not that important honestly (in terms of taking a test!) ! I was just asking out of curiosity because I couldn't quite decide myself and people have asked what he is, I might just say "a cob" and be done with it :) Although, he does look rather like alaina's photo of the Shire x TB, I have one of him trotting but it's not me riding, it's his old owner, so I wouldn't feel right about it!

dave the dog- good advice mate! So whatever he is or may be he's a good 'un for sure!

Last edited:

old hand

Visit site
Looks like a shire x welsh section d to me. They used to breed them near us usually 16hh to 16.2hh whereas most of the shire xtb were well over 17hh.

old hand

Visit site
I had a cleveland x welsh D and he looked like Jorrocks cob from the 1800's with a very big cleveland type head and little feather.

skint1

Visit site
Do Clevelands have big heads? Alex really does have a massive head, sometimes, with the greatest affection, I call him "Suitcase head"

I had a look at his documents.Date of birth is estimated between 1998/2000. In 2003 (earliest record of him) He was living at "Turkey Farm" Hardingstone, Northants. If the name is a literal description, it may explain his fear of flappy birds in crates!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I don't go with the CB personally. Admittedly I have only owned the one but she certainly didn't have a big head! I don't see CB in there to be honest.

Floxie

Visit site
He's got the 'small eye' I always associate with shire crosses - and I don't mean that in a bad way, I had a shire x and he had a small eye, not unattractive - just the thing I tend to look for! Totally unscientific, BTW, just personal!

skint1

Visit site
Oh don't worry, I don't take it that way, I always find these type of discussions quite interesting :)