is my horse a rig?

roz84

Visit site
I've got a new horse, who I've had a few weeks now, but a lady on the yard has convinced herself that he's a rig, which I very much doubt! her mare has come into season very badly since he arrived, she is constantly trying to barge the gate down to get in with him and doesn't stop neighing- which is her problem not mine! I don't feel my horse displays any rig tendencies, he's well mannered in the stable and never aggressive- granted, he can be a bit nervy but all the horses are since this mare came into season! also, he was previously kept with a broodmare and a filly foal with no problems. what should I do? I don't want to upset this lady, who has been there long before me, but I don't feel that my horse has done anything wrong except be new on the yard- help!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Just tell her that he is displaying no signs of being hormonal, unlike her mare, and remains totally unexcited by her mare lusting after him.

McNally

Visit site
So your horse is actually doing NOTHING wrong? hers is playing up and its YOUR fault???
You could point out if your horse was a rig he'd probably be doing his nut and breaking out with her mare behaving like that- the very fact he's not is almost proof he's a gelding (and a very good one!)

paulineh

Visit site
I have an Arab mare that acts like that. Earlier this year I had an Anglo Arab gelding stay for a few weeks and he brought her into season heavily and she was shouting at him all the time. They were all in the same field but the gelding took no notice of her.

Again in the last three weeks I have a new young Arab gelding and again she is shouting as if he is the bees knees.also he is not taking any notice of her.

I would say that it is the mare that is making all the moves.

The only way you can be 100% sure is to have a load test done. If the owner of the mare is convinced you gelding is a rig then get her to have he blood test done at her expense.

Last edited: