Is my horse fat it or is it just her build

Lexi 123

Visit site
People keep telling me different things there are people who think she is fat. Then other people are saying she is not fat it just her build like a big rib cage and big feet. I personally think she is just fat.

[Content removed by request]

Last edited by a moderator:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do own one with a big rib cage, that means even when fit and slim/showing some rib he was inclined to look porky.

Yours looks fat but it's not the best angle and obviously always better to get hands on and try and find said ribs.

ihatework

Visit site
A bit of both from what I can tell from the picture.

She looks overweight and in soft condition but not massively obese.

I do think a horses type can influence the perception of being fat, and for those types it’s easier when you can see and feel them in the flesh.

I’d say see if you can get a few kilos off her

Green Bean

Visit site
Difficult to tell from photo, but I have a mare with, what I call, a large rib cage. You need to look at her from behind as I believe a clear sign of an overweight horse is if there is a line down the bum rising outwards (apple bum). I have reduced my mares food based on the start of an 'apple'bum

JillA

Visit site
Google the condition scoring leaflet - it will not only put your mind at rest but also give you ammunition for the critics. There are two - five point and nine point - the nine point one is best if you can find it

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I can't see the photo but I used to have a Westphalian Draft mare, who was a very round shape. She was obese when i got her and I got her down to a sensible weight, so that i could feel her ribs but she never looked slim. She never did lose her 'apple bum' though, that was just her natural shape.

ETA found the photo now but can't tell from it whether she is fat or not.

scats

Visit site
I have a mare who has a very big, deep rib cage. Every vet who meets her comments on how deep she is. She’s only 15hh but I reckon she’d take a 6ft riders leg up no problem. My short legs don’t even reach down her sides.
Unfortunately it does make mine look a little bit out of proportion and she tends to look fatter than she actually is.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
How easily can you feel her ribs? I think that's the simplest way to judge. You really want then not really visible but pretty much right under the skin. I reckon on yours you'll feel them with a very slight press and perhaps having to press a bit harder just behind her shoulder blade... so not obese but could do with dropping some. It's where I am with my mare and yours just looks similar. They have a big frame under there which makes them look fatter but they are still carrying a bit too much actual fat too!

If you have to dig right in to find a rib then she's way to fat! But I'm guessing not.

I know my mare is overweight but I can't get anyone in real life to say so! 😂 People are too polite!

Denbob

Visit site
They have a big frame under there which makes them look fatter but they are still carrying a bit too much actual fat too!

I know my mare is overweight but I can't get anyone in real life to say so! 😂 People are too polite!

I'm in a similar boat, D is slightly overweight, not enormous but looks much bigger than he is! However I don't have the problem of people not telling me, can we swap 😂

supsup

Visit site
My vote would also be for fat (although obviously limited to what I can see). My reasons are: there is little definition between the neck and shoulder, or from shoulder to ribcage. It looks to me as though you'd be able to slide your hand down her neck and onto the shoulder without getting "stuck", or hitting much of a bump as you get to the shoulder. Similarly, it's hard to tell where the shoulder stops and the ribcage starts. This suggests to me that there are fairly significant fat pads around that area. Obviously, I can't feel what she's like over the ribs, but my guess would be that you'd have to dig a bit to feel them.