Is my horse unhappy with his bit? Suggestions?

ellerslie83

Visit site
When I put my horses bridle on he makes really exaggerated movements with his head shaking it up and down and stretches his mouth wide open a lot.
I also feel like he's not really keen to accept the bit and sometimes feel he isn't listening.

So I'm not sure if this is because he's really unhappy or just getting used to it when it's put on as he's only used very lightly for hacking out.

He doesn't seem to like bits that use poll pressure as I've tried a Kimblewick - just because I had one handy in the right size.

He's currently in a magic bit (?!) - i.e. a straight bar with a port, as he's a 16 hand shire cross so fleshy tongue and takes a 6 inch bit.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Shay

Visit site
A horse on our yard did this - turned out he had a blind woolf tooth and the bit was catching it. Not the most common of answers, but might be worth checking.

Otherwise - have you thought about a jointed bit? Striaght bars can put a lot of pressure on a fleshy tounge even with a port. There are various bit banks on line where you can talk to an expert and rent a bit for 30 days. If it suits you buy it with the rental deducted; if not you send it back and try again. Helps stop you amassing a large collection of unsuitable bits!

StormyGale

Visit site
My big lad did this he ended up in jointed sweet iron snaffle loved it and he didn't like the straight bar at all I found as shah said it put a lot of pressure in him using a straight bar. I changed to the snaffle single joint much happier. Another thought he mayhave had his teeth banged when putting the bit in or taking it out so worries about that. U may also find if he isn't accepting the bit the bit may betoo big and sliding through his mouth. Again as shah said may be worth having teeth checked too. Hope that helps. Excuse the typos on phone at mo.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Make sure that his browband is big enough, Shire x's usually have very wide foreheads - I've had to have browbands custom made in the past. Rather than a straightbar bit, have you tried a mullen-mouthed bit? I've actually found that Shires are often happiest in a PeeWee bit because they are very fine, don't take up too much room in the mouth and allow plenty of tongue room. I think a dentist check is also a good idea.

Micky

Visit site
I have a cob with a low port and a fleshy tongue..been through many bits and finally found he likes either a waterford or the pelham (mullen mouth). I too tried a ported bit but he tossed his head like you mention, put it down to the port on the roof of his mouth..Def get a dental if you havent already and like above, check his bridle etc...good luck and dont give up trying different bits!:D