Pictures Is my mare in foal? No one knows...

Kitty B

Visit site
I'm still undecided about the video, but here are the photos I've got to work with this evening. My phone is rubbish in anything but natural light, which is most unhelpful right now.

IMG_20210224_181749.jpgIMG_20210224_182645.jpgIMG_20210224_183149.jpgIMG_20210224_183209.jpgIMG_20210224_183215.jpgIMG_20210224_183225.jpgIMG_20210224_184218.jpg

fiveleafclover21

New User
Visit site
How exciting! I would lean towards in foal from the earlier photos, but in the most recent ones it's harder to tell! As she gets nearer then the foal would move and the vet should be able to feel it again from about 9-10 months. Everything crossed for you!

Lady2021

Visit site
Actually looking at the new photos . Unpopular opinion but sorry I actually don’t think she is pregnant I think she could be lacking muscle and overweight. I could be completely wrong and if I am I hope she has a heathy foal .

Equi

Visit site
Actually looking at the new photos . Unpopular opinion but sorry I actually don’t think she is pregnant I think she could be lacking muscle and overweight. I could be completely wrong and if I am I hope she has a heathy foal .
I don’t think she’s at all overweight even if she wasn’t pregnant. Compared to what the bum was like a few months ago she’s lost quite a lot of weight (which is not terrible)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
My best friend and I managed to conince ourselves she was having a BOGOF last year and were wrong so I have not commented as I am clearly clueless! But have been following with interest. Given that the folk who know what they are on about are all convinced, all I can say is congratulaiton and good luck!

I'll stick to just enjoying the foalie pics!!

SOS

Visit site
I’m no good with this sort of thing unfortunately! However either way her respiratory rate is quite fast (looking at her thorax not abdomen) in that video. So something to keep an eye on. And if she’s not I would wonder why she’s abdominal breathing so much... but the video looks how I imagine a foal foetus movement would look.

ihatework

Visit site
My money is on a foal in there!

Although 4 years ago my mare received an embryo that she scanned as having slipped. Come March time she was looking quite fat, her teats had filled a little and she had belly movement not dissimilar to your video. I was convinced the vet had scanned wrong so got a manual done. Turns out she was just a fat windbag ?

Merrymoles

Visit site
I agree she is not overweight and looks in pretty good shape apart from the belly. If she has lost weight it may well be because she's putting her calories into the foal!

As long as she has ad lib forage, I wouldn't worry about upping her feed until you've had another vet visit - she's the type of mare that can grow a foal without too much help!

Kitty B

Visit site
You’re either going to get a foal or have a re-enactment of that scene in Alien...

How exciting! We haven’t had a HHO BOGOF for a while.

It's all good food, good friends and a laugh until there is an alien bursting out of someone... I'm not sure Mags would stop eating long enough to be bothered, but any creature that hybridizes with THAT mare would quite possibly take over the galaxy. :oops:

I don’t think she’s at all overweight even if she wasn’t pregnant. Compared to what the bum was like a few months ago she’s lost quite a lot of weight (which is not terrible)

I can feel ribs without digging for them, and the vet wasn't concerned about her weight coming into spring, so we stick to our usual regime of giving her the run of the paddock and walks in the school with me and the kids. She loves walking with my youngest two.

Definitely in foal judging by the video. Nice mare, how big is she?

She hasn't been measured since she went bum high and then evened out over the winter, but I would estimate she's 13.2/13.3hh. I'm only 5'2", so she's the ideal size for a Western trail pony... though it is rather looking like THOSE plans will be put on hold. Ah well, I can always back her next winter instead. :)

I’m no good with this sort of thing unfortunately! However either way her respiratory rate is quite fast (looking at her thorax not abdomen) in that video. So something to keep an eye on. And if she’s not I would wonder why she’s abdominal breathing so much... but the video looks how I imagine a foal foetus movement would look.

We had only just gotten in from the paddocks and she'd thrown her head into her Healthy Hoof at that point. The last couple of nights she has rather worked herself up into a fair clip to get in for her feed. She doesn't usually breathe like that when at rest. I was told to check for movements after exercise, and I figured prancing about like a racehorse going to post counted. I will continue to monitor, though. :)

I agree she is not overweight and looks in pretty good shape apart from the belly. If she has lost weight it may well be because she's putting her calories into the foal!

As long as she has ad lib forage, I wouldn't worry about upping her feed until you've had another vet visit - she's the type of mare that can grow a foal without too much help!

She spends all day in her paddock and is in at night with all the hay she could want. I think she could exist on air if she decided it was something she could eat!

Merrymoles

Visit site
She spends all day in her paddock and is in at night with all the hay she could want. I think she could exist on air if she decided it was something she could eat!

I, too, am blessed with a very cheap-to-feed piebald! His vet bills are a different matter but I cannot complain about what it costs to feed him!