Is my OH too heavy to ride my horse??

Hels_Bells

Visit site
I'm 6 months pregnant and not riding at moment. My horse is getting a but porky and rather bored so my husband suggested he could take him out for a potter.

Hubby is not really a rider but I'm mostly worried he'll be too big and heavy for horse.

Horse is 16.1hh WB, 13yo and prob ob the finer side for a WB. And hubby is about 14-15 stone and 6 ft 4. My inclination is that it might be a bit much for pony who is used to eventing with 9.5 stone me but then perhaps I'm being too precious about it all and if it's just gentle hacking he would be fine!!??

Any thoughts welcome!! :)

Copperpot

Visit site
Depends on the horse I guess. Mine is 16.3 ISH but mostly TB. When my OH gets on him who is 13 stone he doesn't like it at all. I think it's cos he is used to having no one over 9 stone sit on him, so comes as a shock lol :)

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
My 16.2 WB X ISH (very fine, more Tb build!) carries my OH who is 13-14stone easily but he only walks with a bit of trot. Should be ok for little hacks - only one real way to find out though!

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Thanks for input so far. More worried about dOing some damage more than anything else. But quite frankly he could do with some hard work!! Sadly I don't have any surface at home otherwise I'd lunge him.

Misog2000

Visit site
I think we are all a bit precious when it comes to the weight we put on our horses - but I would think a horse of that size / build should be fine to pootle around with that weight on provided he is fit and well with good conformation (horse not hubby lol). I guess the only way to find out is to try...horse will soon let you know if he is not happy

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Can you weigh your OH for an accurate weight as I'd feel much happier about 14 stone than I would about 15 stone if you see what I mean.

Would've thought he'd be ok just walking and it's surprising how much good just walking can do in terms of keeping a horse reasonably fit and well so I'd think it was worth a try.

As someone else said you won't know until you try and I'm sure your horse will let you know if he isn't happy.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I think we are all a bit precious when it comes to the weight we put on our horses - but I would think a horse of that size / build should be fine to pootle around with that weight on provided he is fit and well with good conformation (horse not hubby lol). I guess the only way to find out is to try...horse will soon let you know if he is not happy

This /\

kirstyl

Visit site
And congratulations on being pregnant! Thought I hadn't see any posts from you for a while. If my OH offered to get on my horse, I'd faint. He does fancy tying himself to the back of him and go surfing - let me re-assure you this won't happen! All the best

mandwhy

Visit site
People are definitely precious about horses abilities to carry weight, especially on here! I think that sounds fine, he's only going for a hack and much better than a horse standing about doing nothing :) I am quite a heavy person so I am biased, I think when I tell people who are 9 stone that I weigh about 14, they must imagine some great fat person but I am quite tall and really don't worry about riding most horses, they don't seem too bothered either!

lizijj

Visit site
I think I've posted this before, but my friends in the US, grown men (and not on the slim side!) ride QHs with full western saddle etc. The horses can be between 14 - 15 odd hands. Ridden all day, although ranch work is mostly in walk or lope (trot).

Someone in this post mentioned a Western saddle being better - I'd be interested in knowing more about this, as just breaking in my Dartmoor Hill ponies (Dartmoor x Shetland type) to ride and drive, and I have both English and Western saddles for them. :)

rhino

Visit site
horse will soon let you know if he is not happy

No, not always, some horses may, others won't.

Someone in this post mentioned a Western saddle being better - I'd be interested in knowing more about this, as just breaking in my Dartmoor Hill ponies (Dartmoor x Shetland type) to ride and drive, and I have both English and Western saddles for them. :)

Western saddles are generally heavier than English saddles so for that reason I would not recommend them in a situation where weight was key. I also think you may struggle to find a Western saddle that would fit both you and your ponies comfortably, but I'm not a saddler so would seek advice from one if it was me :)

Sorry for digression, OP, I would say 14/15 stone plus tack would possibly be borderline, but it won't do any harm to pop him on and use your own judgement :)

Tickles

Visit site
Get OH to take him for a walk instead?

Or perhaps a sharer... you might want one when you're busy with the little one.

Congrats.

Spit That Out

Visit site
Depends on if your OH can ride? Does he sit like a sack of spuds all unbalanced or is he a "light" rider?
I would have thought if he's just walking and trotting on his hacks then he'll be ok.
Perhaps you could walk along with him for the first pootle and see how your horse is with him...you could always ask him to get off and lead home :)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If the weight is more than the horse is used to can your OH not start with 5min daily and gradually build up from there so the horse has a chance to adapt? Even if the weight is borderline for the horses limits, you may find for instance the horse copes fine for half hour but no more. If you build up gradually, find the limit, then drop down a little from that, I think its fine. I think people are too precious about weight limits, but maybe it depends if you view the horse mainly as a pet or as a working animal? Each to their own.

JenHunt

Visit site
I would say for getting ponio fit, starting off with walking then your OH should be fine, they get to know each other and condition ponio's muscles up appropriately! better IMO than sticking a heavier rider on a fit horse used to a light one!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Well, you horse should carry him easily for gentle hacking - we are not talking about jumping and extended galloping presumably. Think of the 15hh quarter horses that carry large men, all day, but they would be well balanced and used to helping the horse.

I think the saddle is a factor, the larger the spread of weight the better. A horse that is broad across the loins will carry more weight than narrow, and a well balanced riders is easier for the horse than one that isn't.

Kat

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about it for gentle hacking. Assuming that the saddle is big enough and that he isn't a beginner. Build up gently and keep a close eye on the horse, but if the horse is reasonably fit and mature with no health issues I wouldn't expect any problems if they are doing light work.

Pale Rider

Visit site
Re Quarterhorses and western saddles.

QH will carry more weight than other breeds and the saddles are much better for heavy weights for long periods. Much kinder than English saddles.

happyhacking:)

Visit site
People on here never cease to amaze me when it come to horses and what weight they can carry! Horse will be absolutely fine. Stop worrying and see how they get in. Don't go mad just get him to have a potter down the road and back or round the field a few times.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
well Im 5'7 and used to weigh 15stone. my mare is a 15'2 connie x tb and i got her at 16, she had no problem whatsoever carrying me! she would go at full speed for hours, would jump anything and the girl that owned her before me weighed about 9stone, so its not like she was used to it!

luckily now I have lost 4 stone as she is 27 but I still think she'd be able to carry more weight!