Is my vet in the wrong - only castrated one testicle!?

Btomkins

Visit site
I would really appreciate any info on the following, sorry for the essay!

I recently booked in for my appy colt, Ben, to be castrated. I was quoted approximately £400 for the castration and a tetanus injection. Initially I thought that this was quite a high price for a castration, but decided to go ahead as I trust the surgery and was fully willing to pay the cost for the completed treatment.

The vet came out to my colt to have him gelded, but unfortunately the procedure did not go to plan. I did have some concerns beforehand, which was that not both testicles were fully descended, which I know can cause complications. I did point this out beforehand and the vet did inspect and decided to go ahead with the procedure anyway as he was positive that it could be completed fully and gave no indication otherwise. Unfortunately only one testicle was removed during the operation due to it not being fully descended. It is definitely there now, only a few weeks after the op, so I am positive that he does not have a fully retained testicle.
I was told when I booked the appointment that due to the nature of the operation two people would be coming out to assist with the procedure. Only the vet himself turned up. I had known previously that the vet would not be bringing an assistant, I could have made arrangements to bring an extra person myself to the procedure. I believe that this would have been of great help, as the vet was struggling to locate and keep a hold of the testicle without me holding Ben’s leg up out of the way, which grew increasingly difficult as Ben was coming round from the anaesthetic and I couldn’t hold both his head down and his leg up out of the way at the same time.
The surgery then called me up and asked for full payment of £411.05, and when I queried the fact that the procedure was not completed, the lady had no notes on the system to say that this was the case. When I questioned this they have now come back to me saying that it will be an extra £200+ to complete the procedure!!! Am I wrong in thinking that this is totally nfair and the vet should be taking this as his responsibility to set things right as he was the one that messed the procedure up un the first place?
I do understand that sometimes procedures do not go according to plan, but I am currently feeling as though I am being misled and being charged a ridiculous amount for an extra operation that would not have been necessary had the first one been done correctly.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks!

Btomkins

Visit site
I would have no hesitation in consulting the vet's professional body, that's what they are there for. In the mean time, this site might help:

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/advice-and-g...sional-conduct-for-veterinary-surgeons/#about

Note the clause about informing clients about fees.

Thank you that's a big help, I also notice the section where it says

2.5 *Veterinary surgeons must keep clear, accurate and detailed clinical and client records.

and they certainly didn't do that if they had no note on file about the procedure not being fully completed.

Spring Feather

Visit site
The vet should not have removed the single testicle. He should have tried to locate the hiding one first and if not able to get hold of it then he should have left things as they are for the moment.

I check my colts on a fairly regular basis from when they are born and always daily for a number of days before the appointment date. If anything changes then I postpone the surgery.

The price you were originally quoted is extortionate IMO. The vet came ill-equipped and under-manned. The vet performed a procedure which he should not have done under the circumstance. Now they want to extort more money out of you. Damn right I'd be complaining! Shortly before changing vet practices!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Holy Moley I can't believe you've paid £400 for a standing sedation castration! My lad cost about £125 for a full GA castration although he is only tiny. I also can't believe they went ahead with the surgery even though it was clear that the 2nd testicle was a bit iffy. I know you said that the vet was certain he could complete the surgery successfully but you also note your own concerns that the testicle easn't fully descended. I would have expected them to talk through the oiptions and any associated risks/costs with you before they proceeded. Clearly, you need the 2nd testicle to be removed - if I was you I'd be expecting "after sales service" to remove it as part of the original price quoted. Their error! And for a price like that you should be getting a 6* service. They may be good vets but poppet you're being ripped off!

flaxen

Visit site
Was he fully anaesthetised with ketamine or was he just sedated and fell over?
A full ga castrate will always cost more than a routine standing castration. However, your vet should never have attempted to do a ga without experienced help from someone used to handling anaesthetised horses particularly when they are down with drugs and not on a machine as they can come round very quickly.

It was also very unprofessional of your vet to half castrate him, he should have checked the horse thoroughly first and if there was a chance that he couldnt reach one side then he should have been left longer to give the testicle chance to descend or done under sterile conditions in a clinic where a bigger incision can be made to ensure he is done properly not just do one side. What he has done is malpractice.

Im sorry but the vets I work with would never half castrate a horse. I would be making an official complaint to the practice and also to the RCVS.

http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/complain...e-a-complaint/

Btomkins

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's views good to know you are in agreement with me :)

Flaxen - a six* service is exactly what I was expecting at that price - not an extra £200 fee on top! Yes it was a full knock out flat on the ground using ketamine although they have come back and said that only sendin one vet is common practise and it is not in the practice rules that 2 have to attend. He is now saying that two vets will come out and remove the second testicle with no issues for £200 - which makes me wonder why wasn't the original procedure this much if they can offer exactly the same it at this price now? Seems to me they know they made a mistake but really don't want to admit it...

flaxen

Visit site
Btomkins, the £400 odd is around the mark of we used to charge of a ga castrate in knockdown box attached to gas. If the horse was on the table in theatre and was a closed castrate it was more.

Im sorry if I was in your shoes then I certainly wouldnt be paying again and would be complaining to the rcvs, your vets are in the wrong.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I would be hopping mad about this. I don't think you should have to pay again. What a situation, and then have to subject your horse to another operation.

GreedyGuts

Visit site
I would dig your heels in, and demand they whip the second one out. I frequently go out to castrate colts by myself so not unusual, but the decision to hemi-castrate your horse was unorthodox to say the least. If I'd done that I wouldn't be best pleased with myself and would do my best to complete the job before word got out!

Btomkins

Visit site
I have also found out today that after asking for an itemised invoice that they have given my horse a flu vaccination without my asking or consent and charged me for it....surely this is unacceptable??

Spook

Visit site
Full KO 2 nuts removed castration ..... about £200 ...... NE Scotland!

Your vets should not have removed only one testicle unless declared....... What did they enter on the passport? What was the documentation supplied for the passport?

Aru

Visit site
I have also found out today that after asking for an itemised invoice that they have given my horse a flu vaccination without my asking or consent and charged me for it....surely this is unacceptable??

Could that be a combi vaccine of tetanus and flu?and making sure the horse is covered for tetanus is basic standard of care when it comes to castration.... just a thought

I would be more concerned about the fact they have left your horse with one testicle still intact...they should have tried to remove the partially descended testicle first and called it a day if they could not rather than do a partial castration,and only procede if you told them to remove the normal testicle while they were there in order to have a shorter anesthetic next time. I would not be happy with how this was handled either.

Go in and ask for a meeting with the practice manager or head vet. Outline what exactly happened from your point of view,point out their cost suggests a high standard of care and all put all this and your concerns in a letter that you can bring with you so you dont get to stressed out and forget any points. Then see what they will do for you. I would be very surprised if they are not going to come up with a solution for you.

IMO this approach may be more forthcoming than going to the RCVS, especially if you havent spoken to the managers etc yet
Complaints to the RCVS should be a last resort as they are not a basic complaints body they are more the professional regulator, plus they are rarely satisfying in their outcome for complaints of this type unless gross misconduct has been done....and I personally would not call this case gross misconduct...I would guess its more a communication failure and a costs issue.

Looking at it from the other point of view...an counter argument
The vet may have thought he was not a rig,having felt the testicles before hand, and attempted to castrate as normal. It was clearly not possible to complete the operation due to both the animal having a retained/testicle that decided to return to being undescended and as the animal recovering from anesthetic which could not be safely topped up. As a result the client was advised that a second operation was nessecary.This would cost x,half the price of the original. None of those are misconduct. Harsh pricing yes,but at the same time I can see where they are coming from as well..it will not be free for them to do the second operation.

That said is still call it poor client relations and very poor practice to partially castrate a horse and I would be more than happy to point that out if it was me but professional misconduct.....questionable.

Its the cost for such an operation that also appears to be hugh issue so go and talk to the managers and see can you get that brought down. Argue you expected a higher standard of care etc for their cost,add that your vet had mentioned having help etc and didnt deliver and see how it goes.

But I say this as I can see if from the vets point of view,I freely admit my bias like there :p ,but in your shoes I wouldn't have been happy had this being done to one of my horses especially as you alerted him to the fact you thought colt might be a rig! and I would be going in to have a serious discussion about their costs and standards go see what they say. I would hope for a free finish to this castration or just to pay for the anesthetic costs.

If you are not happy with how they respond in person then by all means go to the RCVS but just be aware that might not be a satisfying result for the time it would take to put a complaint together.