Is nothing selling? wrong time of year?

_EVS_

Visit site
I've currently got my horse up for sale and I am literally getting zero interest. I've kept an eye on ads generally and it seems the market is quite quiet? It's getting to the point now where I've had to walk away from potential purchases of a new horse as whilst I don't mind having two horses in the short term I can't risk it for months on end with winter coming, which is frustrating as there's not a glut of horses matching my new requirement either! I don't want to miss a good one if it comes up but equally don't want to waste the time of other sellers if I'm not in a position to buy. Is it the wrong time of year? Is the market just that bad? or am I doing something wrong with my ad? Anyone else finding the same?

Nag Nag Nag 1

New User
Visit site
Not selling horses, but selling horsey stuff from a friends estate and it's just the same. I suspect people are thinking about their summer holidays and saving money for that. Take heart, if its meant to be it will be.

Annagain

Visit site
A friend of mine does a bit of buying and selling and sales livery and she says she's not even had a phonecall for weeks. She tends to have pony club type ponies as she's very small so people send her little ones and she seems to think it'll pick up once the kids are back in school. She says it's the same every year - people don't buy in the school holidays as they're going off on holiday. The weather hasn't helped this year as people think they can't go out competing on this ground so they're putting off buying.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've been looking but what I've seen so far is either badly described (or very badly described), too expensive for what it is, or already sold. The ones selling quickly are almost going on word of mouth.
Trouble is, a mannered forward going animal is rare, and is worth a few quid too.

Visited 3 yards today, rode 3 this morning, declined another 4 on looking at them move. Of the 3, the newly broken baby was the best of the bunch, the other 2 needed more schooling or retraining.

Good ones go quickly...... am thinking of going back to buying unbacked ones again, as it seems there is a bit of a market for nicely made youngsters on the lower horse heights. But only thinking if it.... :D

bluedanube

Visit site
I've been looking but what I've seen so far is either badly described (or very badly described), too expensive for what it is, or already sold. The ones selling quickly are almost going on word of mouth.
Trouble is, a mannered forward going animal is rare, and is worth a few quid too.

Visited 3 yards today, rode 3 this morning, declined another 4 on looking at them move. Of the 3, the newly broken baby was the best of the bunch, the other 2 needed more schooling or retraining.

Good ones go quickly...... am thinking of going back to buying unbacked ones again, as it seems there is a bit of a market for nicely made youngsters on the lower horse heights. But only thinking if it.... :D

Agree with this, most of time it’s not even worth trying them after watching them ridden and then when you do think you’ve found one it fails the vet.... for this reason I’m now looking at young horses which was not what I originally wanted but hey ho...

Leo Walker

Visit site
I found lots of nice ponies to look at, but I was looking at the cheaper end of the market with a pretty broad criteria. There does seem to be a hell of a lot of horses for sale at the minute though!

conkers

Visit site
I've been trying to sell a nicely bred 3 years old since June.
She has had all the ground work done, has been sat on and just needs riding away.

Not had a single phone call. I am resigned to keeping her another winter and trying to sell her in the spring.

matt_m

Visit site
I think they are selling pretty well at the minute. As soon as winter comes people will struggle. Also very few horses for loan in my area (a friend was looking for something).

But, what do you have, what has s/he done, and what price are you asking? Ask yourself if you are being reasonable.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I've currently got my horse up for sale and I am literally getting zero interest. I've kept an eye on ads generally and it seems the market is quite quiet? It's getting to the point now where I've had to walk away from potential purchases of a new horse as whilst I don't mind having two horses in the short term I can't risk it for months on end with winter coming, which is frustrating as there's not a glut of horses matching my new requirement either! I don't want to miss a good one if it comes up but equally don't want to waste the time of other sellers if I'm not in a position to buy. Is it the wrong time of year? Is the market just that bad? or am I doing something wrong with my ad? Anyone else finding the same?

Point me to your ad as I might be in the market very soon.

dixie

Visit site
I'm trying to buy but can't find one I like or that can pass the vet - it doesn't help that I'm in Devon either although I did travel to Gloucester last week.
I'm finding horses are either selling quickly or are hanging around for some reason or other.
What are you selling?

Bruised

Visit site
Well I phoned up about a horse that I was interested in. Had a 10min chat with the seller. Said I was interested in viewing and suggested a day. They said they'd phone me back to confirm but never did. You would have thought that if people want to sell they'd at least be polite enough to phone back.

_EVS_

Visit site
Hi Dixie, still looking then!

I'm selling (or not!) a 16.2hh WB gelding 15yo. Show jumped to 1.05 and unaff dressage to Ele ( & Novice My Quest). I'm only asking peanuts but I think his age is going against him :-(

spugs

Visit site
I’ve just bought one but he is a cheap as chips, older ex racer who needs reschooling and has a naughty streak.

Louby

Visit site
I think I may have found your ad if its a horse jumping, if so IMO I think you need to add more photos as its not a great angle, definately one side on without his saddle. He sounds like he'd make a competent young rider very happy!

Michen

Visit site
If you need him gone so as not be paying for two horses but are not wanting much money, how about loaning him?

I'm selling (or not!) a 16.2hh WB gelding 15yo. Show jumped to 1.05 and unaff dressage to Ele ( & Novice My Quest). I'm only asking peanuts but I think his age is going against him :-(

dixie

Visit site

Yes! I had one vetted yesterday but failed the X-rays. I think you’re right about his age. Loads prefer less than 12 - including me !!

_EVS_

Visit site
I think I may have found your ad if its a horse jumping, if so IMO I think you need to add more photos as its not a great angle, definately one side on without his saddle. He sounds like he'd make a competent young rider very happy!

Thanks Louby - on most of the ads where I can add multiple pics I’ve put on a side one with no tack and a Dressage one so all bases covered. I’ll see if I can change the ones with a single picture.

_EVS_

Visit site
Michen - have seriously considered loaning but it’s the fear of suddenly having him back if loan ends for any reason and I’m back to square one. I might still for the right person though I guess.

be positive

Visit site
I have also found the advert and think the price is far too high, rare for me to say this, he is 15, is not 100% to hack alone, a priority for many people, is not an easy straightforward ride so totally unsuited as a schoolmaster, he will not travel in a trailer and to top it all he has sarcoids.

I really think you owe it to him to either keep him as you have owned him for so long and use him until he cannot progress any more then semi retire or find a good loan home, he has very little value in my view as the people that may be up to riding him will look for a younger one, the people that may overlook his age will not be up to him or be prepared to take on the expense of treating the sarcoids if required.

Flyermc

Visit site
Ive had a look at your ad, and i think its possibly his age that might put buyers off.

I dont think the price is too high, if he was 9 years old, but at 15 years old, i think this might be his issue. Of course reducing his price, might reflect on the type of home you get for him.

He looks lovely in the pictures and his issues, dont seem to bad, just an honest ad!

Chuckieee

Visit site
Based on what you have said I’d expect your horse to be priced at between £1,500 to £2,000. If he is priced higher than this then this is clearly why he is not selling. Bless him at that age, I’d be inclined to lower his price in order to find a good home or loan him out if you cannot possibly keep him.

Out of interest what is his price?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
There will be a lot more on the market November/December when people can't source or afford bedding and hay.

Depending on area, farmers are already using winter fodder and prices will be high if they sell anything. I noticed hard feed had gone up when I bought my last lot and pellets are creeping up too. Straw will be very expensive.

Well, there is a bit of doom and gloom !

Visit site
I had a horse on sales livery for a few months and had to send him back to the owner in the end as the market was so dead. This was even after a 1k price drop! Horse was a general allrounder/hacker so no world beater but I had lots of time wasters; people that couldn't ride and people who wanted the perfect horse which doesn't exist. I usually buy a project or two myself to bring on and sell over the summer but haven't bothered this year due to the market being so dead.