Is now the wrong time of year to be looking to buy a horse?

galaxy

Visit site
No I'd say it was pretty good. More and more will come onto the market as we head into spring.

If I have a horse I'm planning to sell I always aim to put it on the market in April....

orionstar

Visit site
Yes, i'm having to sell mine this year and planning the same thing (late March/April)after bringing her back into work and I've noticed the amount of advertisements are starting to pick up.

Yorkshire dumpling

Visit site
i think it is a good time to buy because of the weather people tend to sell horses cheaper in winter in summer prices will go up (they do in our area) last year there was a cob for sale 14.2 i think for sale in summer for £3500 and they ended up loaning her out. they got her back in november and in january she sold for £2600 because they just didnt want her to ride and it money on nothing (they said that not me)..

but then winter does mean extra feed etc and less ride time because of dark nights and weather xxx

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Peeps start looking and thinking of selling about now for the new season so its swings and roundabouts, prices start to rise I would think but better quality comes on the market??

millimoo

Visit site
Just make sure you ask whether they get Sweet Itch or have symptomsof headshaking as these are less obvious at this time of year. Not sure how it stacks up legally, but just worth an ask at least - i've become very synical in my old age!

Umbongo

Visit site
Yes I know 5 months! Its driving me mad. Im so fed up with it.

Until I gave up just before Christmas (due to unemployment) I had been looking for over a year! You just have to have patience :)

I have noticed that more horses come up for sale around Autumn due to university, the on coming winter etc. A lot of sellers may decide to sell in the Spring in hope to sell for a better price...you may see more adverts for good quality horses in the next few weeks.

Last edited: