Is P15 always a long test?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I;ve entered P15 tomorrow but I can only find long tests online, which I don't want to do.
It does not say long test on the entry form though. Does it come in a 20X40 version?

TIA

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Bugger! Test 1 is Intro B and Test 2 is P13. Then test 3 is P15. I assumed that a 20X60 test would be advertised as such. But clearly not. I entered 2&3 but I'll drop 3 and see if I can do intro B instead.

smiggy

Visit site
Yes just give it a go
it’s a nice test
I never practice long arena tests as don’t have facilities, you can just wing it and then each test is practice for next time.
and that’s from someobe riding a 13.2 where the long centre line looms into the distance ?

j1ffy

Visit site
Long arena tests always seem a bit scary until you actually do one! The extra space is fab for younger and / or bigger horses. Just ignore the letters and learn the pattern (I've done dozens of long arena tests up to Medium, but still couldn't tell you where the RSVP markers are - I just think 'in-betweeny marker' when learning the test).

eggs

Visit site
I only have a 20 x 40 arena at home but much prefer riding the long arena tests. I would recommend entering P15. When I am learning them I can never remember where RSV&P are in relation to the other markers but simply remember it by thinking 'change the rein in trot from the old marker to the new marker' if the test says to change the rein in trot from M to V

ihatework

Visit site
Long arena tests always seem a bit scary until you actually do one! The extra space is fab for younger and / or bigger horses. Just ignore the letters and learn the pattern (I've done dozens of long arena tests up to Medium, but still couldn't tell you where the RSVP markers are - I just think 'in-betweeny marker' when learning the test).

Me too! I couldn’t reliably tell you where MKFH were either. I learn the floor pattern then just go by corner marker, funny marker, middle marker ? I hate to admit how many dressage tests I must have ridden

smiggy

Visit site
I’m so glad it’s not just me that has no idea of the other letters !
I just learn sort of 1,2 change rein to last marker kind of pattern
it does mean it’s pointless having a test called though ?

Britestar

Visit site
P15 is just a short test in a long arena.
Once you start doing long one you don't want to go back to short.
In my head the extra letters are alien markers.

daffy44

Visit site
Me too! I couldn’t reliably tell you where MKFH were either. I learn the floor pattern then just go by corner marker, funny marker, middle marker ? I hate to admit how many dressage tests I must have ridden

I do exactly the same! End markers, middle markers, and funny markers are how I learn tests, and I compete at Grand Prix. When I painted the markers on the wall of my school at home I had to literally phone a friend to check what went where.

McFluff

Visit site
Haha this is like some strange confessional. I do the same though!
I prefer the long arena tests, just feel that you have more time and space. 15 flows nicely.
I did used to dread them on my 13.3 though as the centre line felt like it went on forever…

Cragrat

Visit site
I do much prefer long arena now - and actiely avoid short arena tests. I'm so pleased that even proper dressage bods don't know the funny markers :) My problem is remembering exactly which diagonal I'm meant to be doing though - I usually set off from the right place, but then forget if I'm going to normal or funny , and end up fudging it.

daffy44

Visit site
I do much prefer long arena now - and actiely avoid short arena tests. I'm so pleased that even proper dressage bods don't know the funny markers :) My problem is remembering exactly which diagonal I'm meant to be doing though - I usually set off from the right place, but then forget if I'm going to normal or funny , and end up fudging it.

I also only ride long arena tests, so much easier! No idea if this helps, but for diagonals I catagorise them like this: long diagonal, three quarter diagonal, short middle diagonal.