Is putting horses in grass muzzles 'cruel'?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Ruby figured hers out quickly. I was more concerned she learned to drink with it on! which she did straight away. It did rub so I put sheepskin nosebands on it. She still eats fine, just smaller quantities. It means she can stay out with her friends.

b4f94c83.jpg

Imagine if I had not muzzled my good doer on this grass?

Wow that is seriously lush grass!! I don't muzzle, but I understand why people may have to. My grass is not lush - I tend to let my paddocks grow up until the grass is very stalky and dry and less nuitritious for my good doers and I also have a track system. At the height of the spring grass my tiny pony is on a bare patch with hay.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
OK so this might be a stupid question because I'm trying to understand this recent phenomena of muzzling so bear with me.

Why do so many people bring their horses in at night or during the day whilst they are being kept on grass?
And why are people keeping them off the grass in the winter and then having to restrict the grass in the summer?

Watching a horse out 24/7, they don't graze all the time. Also at night they use the energy from the grass to keep warm.

claireandnadia

Visit site
Our shetland wears his pretty much all year round. During winter they come in at night so of course he doesn't wear it then and in summer when they are allowed out at night, they are still not out every single night but the nights he is, the muzzle comes off until morning.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Ruby figured hers out quickly. I was more concerned she learned to drink with it on! which she did straight away. It did rub so I put sheepskin nosebands on it. She still eats fine, just smaller quantities. It means she can stay out with her friends.

b4f94c83.jpg

Imagine if I had not muzzled my good doer on this grass?

what if the muzzle had come off while they were on that paddock?

Fii

Visit site
OK so this might be a stupid question because I'm trying to understand this recent phenomena of muzzling so bear with me.

Why do so many people bring their horses in at night or during the day whilst they are being kept on grass?
And why are people keeping them off the grass in the winter and then having to restrict the grass in the summer?

Watching a horse out 24/7, they don't graze all the time. Also at night they use the energy from the grass to keep warm.

Not saying it is a stupid question but i am struggling to understand it.
I bring mine in during the day for a number of reasons, A, they are more comfortable in because of the flies and heat, B, the sugars in grass is higher during the day, And C,they arent on the grass for 24 hours a day and i can manage their weight better!
Your second point: you have to restrict the grass in summer with a laminitic as the sugars are higher in the growing season obviously! and it doesnt always follow that the pony/horse is over weight to get Laminitis!

No most ponies/horses do not graze all the time (except maybe my little gelding! ) but they will eat too much for their own good, they are not known for regulating their own intake! ;)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Why can't people just accept that all horses are DIFFERENT!

Some have metabolic issues just like people have diabetes or high blood pressure etc.

Not everyone has acres and acres of private meadows filled with fragrant herbs and tuffocks of ancient perfect grass from which eating it "never causes a problem".

Not all horses come from the same genetic stock that can stuff it's face all day long, bask in the sun and still be sound when ridden.

Like anything that was invented, there was a NEED for muzzles for those folk who have diabetic horses, what keep them in postage stamp sized paddocks of ryegrass designed to put milk in our fridges and marble our steaks and are not genetically designed to look like hatracks when not eating pound after pound of lush grass and as much oats as you can shovel in.

Some horses get laminitis... Whether or not that is down to physiology or husbandry, does not matter. The fact that muzzles exist so that horses who are prone can have a decent life, living out 24/7, giving out second rate grooms, shows that people actually care enough to THINK about the welfare of these beasts given the circumstances.

It doesn't make a person cruel... It just shows some intelligence. The alternative is not to have one unless you can provide the ultimate natural habitat....... Please show me where you can find a place like this in England's rich tapestry of lands?

Or perhaps we should just all get bony thoroughbreds.

Last edited:

Rhodders

Visit site
Much crueller to let a horse get laminitis - they can die in agony ! I really don't care if people think it's wrong - that's their business. Mine is keeping my lad safe.
here here, I've tried all the other options, the muzzle is the only thing that works

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Ah... Maybe not the bony type I was thinking of... Are you sure there's no cob in there? :D

Excuse me! Generations of champions and racehorses back to the 1700s.

Actually he's a good example, I can keep him at a correct weight easily and he comes in out of the heat during the day and has ad lib forage.

But some summers he is footy over sharp stones. So when he starts feeling his feet over rough tracks the muzzle comes out and problem solved.

tallyho!

Visit site
Well there you see! Perfect example of why muzzles are needed and are not cruel!!!

Fii

Visit site

Some have metabolic issues just like people have diabetes or high blood pressure etc.

Not everyone has acres and acres of private meadows filled with fragrant herbs and tuffocks of ancient perfect grass from which eating it "never causes a problem".

Not all horses come from the same genetic stock that can stuff it's face all day long, bask in the sun and still be sound when ridden.

Like anything that was invented, there was a NEED for muzzles for those folk who have diabetic horses, what keep them in postage stamp sized paddocks of ryegrass designed to put milk in our fridges and marble our steaks and are not genetically designed to look like hatracks when not eating pound after pound of lush grass and as much oats as you can shovel in.

Some horses get laminitis... Whether or not that is down to physiology or husbandry, does not matter. The fact that muzzles exist so that horses who are prone can have a decent life, living out 24/7, giving out second rate grooms, shows that people actually care enough to THINK about the welfare of these beasts given the circumstances.

It doesn't make a person cruel... It just shows some intelligence. The alternative is not to have one unless you can provide the ultimate natural habitat....... Please show me where you can find a place like this in England's rich tapestry of lands?

Great post!!

I actually think our ponies are on the ultimate natural habitat....doesnt stop them getting Laminitis though!
Edited to say; removing them in spring and managing them the way i explained in my earlier post does though!

Last edited:

tallyho!

Visit site
Why thank you very much Fii and shysmum! I just had to get on me soapbox for a moment there and vent... :)

Enfys

Visit site

It doesn't make a person cruel... It just shows some intelligence. The alternative is not to have one unless you can provide the ultimate natural habitat....... Please show me where you can find a place like this in England's rich tapestry of lands? Unless they run out on the mountains, forest and moorlands of course ;):)

Well said.

Personally, I hate the things but then I am fortunate enough to have my own land and to be able to manage it how I like, so I don't have to even contemplate having to use one.

I fully appreciate that all horses and circumstances are different, and as if it works then that's fine, not any of my business - unless it becomes a welfare issue and then I would make it my business.

Last edited:

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
My girl is a muzzle trasher , any make, any brand ,all comers welcome:( I'm sad about this as i'd rather provide more grazing in a safe environment but as things stand I restrict grazing , soak hay and monitor every calorie to keep her safe. Muzzles are responsible ownership and not cruel , lami is a simply dreadful killer.

lizness

Visit site
Has anyone ever used a bit for feed restriction. In a few old horse books they recommended a thick straight bar vulcanite bit with a sliphead on.

tallyho!

Visit site
Well yes quite Enfys... If only we could have turnout rights on some of those forests and heaths eh....

LaurenBay

Visit site
If it came off (only happened the once) then I guess she would stuff her face til it was put back on (luckily always people in and out the field that, we checked eachothers)

Enfys

Visit site
Well yes quite Enfys... If only we could have turnout rights on some of those forests and heaths eh....

Sounds idyllic, but in reality how annoying would it be to have to search for your horse, you'd need another one at home to ride to find the first ;):)

I know quite a few people that do on the mountains, one friend has horses that come home to eat (bringing their feral friends with them I understand) and then go off again. Another has Exmoors out there, Fells too I think perhaps.

I had grazing rights myself, only used it for the goats though, my welshies would have beggared off for good if I had turned them away on the mountain.:mad:

tallyho!

Visit site
one friend has horses that come home to eat (bringing their feral friends with them I understand) and then go off again.

I had grazing rights myself, only used it for the goats though, my welshies would have beggared off for good if I had turned them away on the mountain.:mad:

Had to laugh at the "Mum, just brought a few friends with me, can they stay for tea??"

Yes I think the welshies have a strong instinct to beggar off... first whiff of freedom and it's "see yaaaaa!!!" :D